IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Sold Out
8/16/22, 3:04 PM   #41
Re: Knoxville Sold Out
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Stapp View Post
Myself i would like to see the 4👑 and Smackdown highlighted and promoted as much as possible. With that being said I believe the state of Indiana should be showcased as a whole by heavily promoting IMW, ISW, BC39, and the Smackdown. If we as a state are going to proclaim ourselves as “The Racing Capital of the World” then it should be represented as such. Now how we get there I can’t answer that. FlagBoy i try to promote it as much as i can and my group will be doing our part. My group of 5 will be in section B as usual. Can’t wait~9 days.
As long as we are just brainstorming here how about getting the Captain and IMS involved?

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Pancho Stapp
8/16/22, 3:19 PM   #42
Ilovedirttrackracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Hard to believe this was 10 years ago now.....

Aq that was a great racing fundraising event that you had for the racing drivers. Our racing family put in a couple of bills in that hat when you were going through the camping lots and the fans. It's people like you that made many Kodak moments and life time memories. Can you recall what you gave out to the drivers and teams when you done this event. It was great. Thanks. Hopefully that you can make it up to Kokomo next weekend and say hi 👋. Lol. Thanks 👏.

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, luckybuc97, wildman92
8/16/22, 4:11 PM   #43
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovedirttrackracing View Post
Aq that was a great racing fundraising event that you had for the racing drivers. Our racing family put in a couple of bills in that hat when you were going through the camping lots and the fans. It's people like you that made many Kodak moments and life time memories. Can you recall what you gave out to the drivers and teams when you done this event. It was great. Thanks. Hopefully that you can make it up to Kokomo next weekend and say hi ��. Lol. Thanks ��.
2012 when this was made we gave out $1000.37,and the next year I think it was $1500 and change too.

Very lucky Bob and Monica Clauson took the bucket around everywhere in their travels,as their motorhome was a gathering spot for many,including myself. In my mind they made the whole thing happen. Danny Burton's grandson Karston helped both years handing the money to the drivers.

After that was when I started losing interest in racing,which is no one's fault. Health reasons I would find out later. Monica got after me in 2014 to do it again in 2015,but it never happened.

I always thought if there was a hot chick that was good with people we could have raised a ton more money. Unfortunately I dont know any hot chicks in Indiana.

It still could be done. I know Danny Burton has collected $$$ and given it out too on short notice,and he raised quite a few dollars as well.

2013 was 1550 and change https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=71689
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/16/22 at 4:14 PM.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97
8/16/22, 6:11 PM   #44
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Openwheelfan1 You’re in some way taking me where I’m hoping to go. I understand completely that there is no comparison in the size and commitment to the event. But I’m trying to keep it “in class”. We’ve gotten a little off track, no pun intended. ISW is different in that it travels to different tracks 4 crown is different with 3 classes. The purpose of the comparison is twofold. First, the size and popularity I think is a great gauge on the overall comparison of W vs NW. We talk about guys leaving wingless for wings. It’s very clear there’s a much bigger demand for wings except here in Indiana. Secondly, 30,000 filled up the Marion County Fairgrounds Saturday night, and I’m wondering if we can fill Kokomo Speedway in a week and a half from now in the state that’s the undisputed bastion of non wing racing. All of it seems to me to be a very accurate study on the supply/demand of sprint car racing.
I’m very proud to be a diehard Hoosier state sprint car fan. I want Indiana to continue to be the paragon of wingless, and continuing to make Smackdown a premier event will help keep up our reputation
IMO, part of what has allowed the Knoxville Nationals to grow to where it attracts 30,000 fans and pay the largest sprint car purse in the world is the history of the event. Both the city and the track are smart enough to utilize the 61 years of names and memories to retain old fans and attract new ones.

I think one other thing that helps the Knoxville Nationals be what it has become is the format. It’s not the WoO format, it’s not Knoxville’s normal format…it’s the Nationals format. The 8 car inversion in the heats is supposed to promote passing (yeah…THAT didn’t work Wednesday night!) on nights 1 and 2 and the “Hard Knocks” Friday night format is unique unto itself. The tension and pressure on the drivers and crews on Friday night is palpable.

One of the things I have seen in the last few years at Knoxville is more young fans (teens and twenty somethings) are attending the Nationals. There are still a LOT of us old farts in the stands, but it is trending a little younger. I have been and continue to be concerned about the advancing age of the crowds at most of the NW sprint races we attend, and I DO qualify as one of advancing age.

I want you all to understand, I am SPRINT CAR FAN! I have attended sprint car races for 60 years. I enjoy winged sprint races, and non-winged sprint car races. I have seen outstanding races in both and some truly horrible races in both.

I TRULY hope this year’s SMACKDOWN is a sellout, and draws AT LEAST what LPS drew in car count for night 1 of the Bill Gardner.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville Sold Out