IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS triple….
8/15/22, 11:34 PM   #21
Re: MSCS triple….
JJMooney

I was there. My last time at Red Hill was in 2003. Before I went I figured they’d draw 18-20 sprint cars. Crowd was far better than I expected. Maybe 8-900? The PA system didn’t work so there was no way of knowing what was going or who was who. Honestly, I didn’t miss having an announcer all that much.

Not much of that bright red clay Jim Mills brought in 20 years ago remains. Looks like it’s mostly dissolved into sand. The surface is sort of back to what I remembered when the place first opened. Dry, slick with a cushion near the fence that’s the fast way around but can bite you if you’re not careful.

We’ve had a TON of rain in this area in recent weeks, I kind of knew they’d go easy on the water and pack it tight. Hot laps and heats were dusty and the track slicked off quick. Heats, I thought, were entertaining. Both had passes for the lead. Even though it was dry and dusty, the track was still damp up against the fence so the fast cars were ripping along the top.

I was surprised when they took about a 45 minute break, sent the grader out and peeled up a layer of track, then watered it. I give them credit for trying.

In the feature, Garrett Aitken was the show, leading the first 14? laps. Then on a restart he hauled her into three a little too hard, biked it and endoed down the banking. Then it was all Chase Stockon until he biked in turn four as he was coming to the white flag. That allowed Mitch Weissmiller to get past and get the win. It was a wild, strange finish.

I’ve seen some wild ones at Red Hill over the years. The place is still fast and more than a little hairy. There were some pluses and some minuses but overall I enjoyed the show.
Last edited by JJMooney; 8/16/22 at 7:59 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, Dirtfan, erich45
8/16/22, 6:29 AM   #22
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

I was there also,first time for me other than looking through the fence when it was closed.
You've pretty much covered everything.Nice place,good facilities,very friendly staff.
Only the 2nd race there in 18 years?
Lotta tires used up that night,no tire truck or fuel truck on the premises,need those for sure.One Modified team I know went through 5 tires.
Several Sprint teams helped each other with tires.I'm sure the new owner has his plate full as to what needs to change,whether that will happen before the next MSCS Race there I dunno.
Will I go back in Sept dunno,may be a race day decision. 🤔

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

8/16/22, 8:16 AM   #23
Re: MSCS triple….
DaleDuBois

It is almost imposable to get clay without rocks. Take a look at Knoxville and what color that track is, it's black. They use what they mostly have, they use the same dirt that they raise corn in and lots of crap that they take out of the stalls in the barn also mud out of the bottom of the rivers out there. Their track holds the moisture very good. The best tracks are black dirt for not getting dusty.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS triple….