IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
10/20/22, 12:02 PM   #11
Re: Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I wish the Horseshoe Indianapolis would be willing to use their 1 mile dirt track for a silver crown race. It is the home of the Indiana Derby. Might as well be the home of the Hoosier Hundred.

I wonder if this effort to bring the Hoosier Hundred to IRP has anything to do with the future of THAT.
Isn't the Horseshoe the reason that we lost the fairgrounds in the first place? So, they could have a taxpayer funded place to train horses? I don't think this has anything to do with THAT. I also don't think a break would be needed as I just watched a hundred mile race last weekend. Yes, they added fuel during a red, but conserving is part of a long distance race. Both tires and fuel.
Sounds like a nice purse. I will be there. Thanks for thinking outside of the box after the state of Indiana stabbed this event in the back.

10/20/22, 12:06 PM   #12
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Hoosier Hundred

Off of USAC's Facebook page.

USAC Racing
7h
·
........., featuring 100 MILES of action in a unique format at IRP!..........
-

If I'm reading this correctly. IRP is about 5/8s or so around. So, 160 laps would equal 100miles.
When I read the unique format comment, I started to think about heat races and qualifier races. Race winner would run 100 miles, it just might be over three different races.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, mc/rider, OnTheHammer
10/20/22, 1:30 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
When I read the unique format comment, I started to think about heat races and qualifier races. Race winner would run 100 miles, it just might be over three different races.
You are probably right

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/21/22, 10:11 AM   #14
Hubie48

Hut "100", Hoosier "100" does not matter. Nobody in ******** cares.

The Hut 100 was the absolute pinnacle for Midget racing in many peoples eyes. What a great race, something to look forward to. Many, many racers rank even participation in this event to be one of the highlights of their careers.

The early Hoosier 100's were the same. Big Money and very small starting field. It was gas it up and go time. The dirt miles fell off the points paying schedule and the sport was in critical condition. It hung on for a time as it still paid really well. Along about 1980 it was dead but nobody buried the body. They have tried countless times to revive it. The guy from Houston even gave it a shot. Not to say some of these races were not enjoyable but the luster had been knocked off.

They can hold a 160 lapper at IRP and I will pay money to see it. It will be the Hoosier "100" in name only. Maybe hold a Taylor Swift concert to kick start the day? Works for the Grand Prix down in Texas.

4 members like this post: bullringko, John P Huss, Rapid Rick, tirespinner
10/21/22, 12:19 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Me: Wondering if anyone can go enjoy a race anymore. JUST for what it is.

10/21/22, 2:35 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post

The Hut 100 was the absolute pinnacle for Midget racing in many peoples eyes. What a great race, something to look forward to. Many, many racers rank even participation in this event to be one of the highlights of their careers.
Were you at the last Hut Hundred won by Cole Whitt? The car count was very light. Maybe 400 people in attendance. Would you lose your money to keep it alive? No one else wanted to either. As for the Hoosier 100, the state of Indiana decided to get rid of it. How could anyone stop that?
By the way, I attended my first Hoosier 100 in 1978, and my first Hut hundred in 1982. Yes, I wish everything was like it was in the 1970's, but it isn't. You can't turn the clock back.

10/22/22, 12:22 PM   #17
flagboy55

I think it’s ok to let a once great and prestigious event that was among the most important races in the golden age of open wheel racing Rest In Peace rather than attach the title to a bastardized facsimile. I’m old enough to remember when we called them Championship Dirt Cars

2 members like this post: Speedwrench, Stevensville Mike
10/22/22, 1:08 PM   #18
TQ29m

I'm way older than that, my early days they all had really big wire wheels, but I also know they aren't coming back soon, I still love em like that, and missed owning one by about 30 minutes , trailer and all, I can still see it sitting there, but I had one more rider to deliver, and when I returned, it was going down the street, behind someone else's car. Dang!

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Stevensville Mike
10/22/22, 1:42 PM   #19
BrentTFunk

If name dies, all the history will die with it. Track Enterprises has spent a fortune to keep this event alive. I think anything that keeps us from losing an event is ok.

10/22/22, 2:37 PM   #20
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
If name dies, all the history will die with it. Track Enterprises has spent a fortune to keep this event alive. I think anything that keeps us from losing an event is ok.
You make an interesting point about preserving the name in whatever form necessary to keep the event alive, presumably in hopes that a “white knight” will return it to some semblance of its former glory. The precedent for this move would be Turkey Night holding pavement races at Saugus and Irwindale. That kept the event alive until it could transition back to dirt.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?