IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
race 42 (Offline)
  #31 5/17/13 10:44 PM
42 it was my basket ball #
sprint79 (Offline)
  #32 5/17/13 11:10 PM
I was born 7-9-79 and weighed 7lbs 9ozs.

Posted via Mobile Device
Drew Tarr (Offline)
  #33 5/18/13 11:08 AM
I use 3x for a couple of reasons. Its the size of my fire suit (XXXL), my car is a Triple X chassis, and lastly, I named it after my wife (she is my third one) Oddly enough she didn't see that much humor in the last one. Drew Tarr
JstAbvVMC (Offline)
  #34 5/18/13 12:23 PM
My young son, AJ was playing Little League baseball and his former Oakland A's hero Mark Mcguire was now with the Cardinals and was in the middle of his homerun record breaking season. Watching the chase for the record everynight on TV with my son brought us even closer together as father son. It was a magical time for us.

Around that same time we decided to build a midget team to race USAC Western States. AJ, along with the rest of the family, decided on Cardinal red as our team color and the number 25, which was Marks number.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device
BR20d (Offline)
  #35 5/20/13 4:23 PM
When David started racing go-karts he pick #24 because he was a Gorden Fan. When he started winning he wanted his own identity so he pick the #20. Little did he know at the time, there would be a famous #20.
When we started with the Silver Crown cars your number had to be registered, so he took 2x20 or #40, hence our car name "20/20 vision".
LocalYokel (Offline)
  #36 5/21/13 3:58 AM
When I was young, very young, I always thought about using the #7 on my car. Then as I got a little older I saw a lot of the good drivers had #1 on their car. I was too young to realize why the fast guys carried the #1. As a result, I put the 1 and 7 together to get #17. I ran that number for a while but soon I was racing against a lot of other #17's. I tried 17r for a while, but just didn't like the looks of it. After that, the 117 was born, because it wasn't just another 17, and I always thought 3 digit numbers were unique and usually recognizable (like the Dyer brick mobile 461)..,

Posted via Mobile Device

You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.
Racerx1194 (Offline)
  #37 5/21/13 10:47 AM
94 because that was the number my dad used alot when he drove for papa weld. When he drove his own car it was 11 but my brother uses that number so i have been using the 94 since i started racing
HurstBros0 (Offline)
  #38 5/21/13 8:51 PM
I`m with Hupp... 9 is a pretty good number.... 9 because my hero Calvin drove it for Leo McCoskey back when a CAE was the best you could do... 19 & 91 because the other car was already using the 9 and a 1 doesn`t take up much room... 90 because it still adds up to 9.... 76 because Dad liked the number on Bill Starr`s 97 , traced them and made a template, flipped the 9 over and put the 7 in front.... 29 from Dad`s 33 Ford coupe and I bought a tank from Dave Durnwald with 29 already on it....0 because I wanted a single digit number and nobody else wants to be the target...70 for Dizz Wilson who could have been hard to get along with but always treated me well...

Dan Hurst
Hurst Brothers Racing
smith19 (Offline)
  #39 5/22/13 10:05 AM
dan, calvin looked pretty damn good in the #19 car. thanks to you dad and red mcCourt.

CHRIS SMITH
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #40 5/22/13 10:47 AM
Here's one that's off topic, but a bit of history. With the midgets dying off in New England, Hudson (NH) Speedway (quarter-mile paved) switched to modifieds. Three friends from Chelmsford, Mass. drove up to register cars they wanted to build. They were assigned the next three numbers: 176 (Bob Edwards), 177 (George Fish), 178 (Dan Dexter). Within a short time, so many cars had been built that a limit was established: Only the first 100 cars got into the pits on race day! Obviously, the failure of the midgets released a pent=up demand for affordable racing.

For those who followed the racing in that part of the world, Bob Edwards became a star in the "cutdowns" that ran Hudson, Dracut, the Pines, Manchester, West Peabody, etc. George Fish never ran very much. Dan Dexter's cars, with George Monsen at the wheel, became contenders on the dirt tracks of Northern Mass and Southern NH. Dan later became the crew chief on winning sprint cars, midgets, and supermodifieds.