IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 40 + cars @ Indy 500
4/11/09, 9:27 AM   #11
Re: 40 + cars @ Indy 500
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
How many times does it have to be said? An all oval series doesn't work anymore. If it did, that's what the IRL would be and Chump Car would have been out of business long ago. It didn't work so it's back to what it was (the split did nothing but help Nascar). I don't like street racing, but I don't care if there are a few. Like the old CART formula or not, it was the biggest series in the US in '95 so somebody liked it. Main thing is you lost Foyt, Andretti, Mears, Rutherford, Johncock, Rahal, Sullivan, Sneva, Unser Sr, all within a few years of each other and didn't replace them with names people knew. THAT is the main issue. If 10 USAC drivers were in a steet race, people would tune in at least a little bit to see how they did even if they don't like the product. That's how I look at Nascar. I think the product flat out sucks. But, I do tune in from time to time during a race to see how the drivers I watched climb the ladder are doing. It's about drivers in the seats and always will be.

I PERSONALLY would like all ovals, but there aren't enough fans that do or the IRL would be in a different place now. Main problem is not streets and roads, it's drivers people know and watched climb the ladder. The US drivers that do come up do it in Indy Car style series that most people don't see so you still don't know any of the names.

I've liked Indy Cars since I was a kid and still go races. However, NOTHING beats the dirt. :cheers
That's....well, that's just about right. Good post, couldn't agree more.

4/11/09, 9:33 AM   #12
LEADERS EDGE

Street courses and road courses are there because that is where the money is. Those shows have good sponsors and good attendence. NASCAR is an oval based series that has a majority of that market sewn up so the IRL has to find other places that want to see racing and people willing to pay for their product. Look and the test in Alabama. 10,000 showed up for a test and they really want the cars there.

I think there will be bumping with between 36 and 40 cars trying an attempt.

C'mon Duke, what about John Andretti?

Personally, I liked the first race and it was good seeing teams like D@B being fast with a sponsor from Jasper and Dale Coynes team leading many laps and should have won the race.

I was a vocal critic of the Versus coverage when it was announced, but I feel I was probably way off base with my assesment as they have put together a great announcing team and are really dedicating time to the series.

4/11/09, 9:35 AM   #13
sprintcar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
(the split did nothing but help Nascar) :cheers
True the split did help NASCAR, but IMHO the split did exactly what it was intended to do. Tony George wanted total control over Indy car style racing and he got it. The reasoning for starting the IRL he gave publicly was PR because he needed support from somebody. After experiencing the passion that the grass roots short track fans have while he was racing his USAC midget he knew he would instant support with some USAC drivers.

4/11/09, 12:11 PM   #14
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
Who really gives a ****? No drivers i know!
Then pay attention to things outside your little world

Or if you are not interested in it then don't read the thread

4/11/09, 12:14 PM   #15
smbpreformance

This is the last year for the current car the next gen car should be reviled during the off season so there are cars out there and for some teams this will be the last chance for them to use it

4/11/09, 12:53 PM   #16
sprintcar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
This is the last year for the current car the next gen car should be reviled during the off season so there are cars out there and for some teams this will be the last chance for them to use it
Actually the current car was to be used untill 2011 when the IRL had hoped to introduce a new car and engine package as part of the centenial celebration. But it now appears that the date has been pushed back to 2012 or later-

IRL might delay new engine package until 2012
February 4, 2009 •• 235 words •• ID: pho78635620
IndyCar Series officials still plan to introduce a new engine, but they do not know when it will debut. The goal had been to have a smaller, turbocharged engine available in 2011. But the world's economic downturn could lead to a one-year delay. "As much as we would like 2011 . . . my gut tells me in this economic environment and the reality of the situation, we're probably looking more toward 2012 now," Brian Barnhart, the

4/11/09, 1:39 PM   #17
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar64 View Post
Actually the current car was to be used untill 2011 when the IRL had hoped to introduce a new car and engine package as part of the centenial celebration. But it now appears that the date has been pushed back to 2012 or later-

IRL might delay new engine package until 2012
February 4, 2009 •• 235 words •• ID: pho78635620
IndyCar Series officials still plan to introduce a new engine, but they do not know when it will debut. The goal had been to have a smaller, turbocharged engine available in 2011. But the world's economic downturn could lead to a one-year delay. "As much as we would like 2011 . . . my gut tells me in this economic environment and the reality of the situation, we're probably looking more toward 2012 now," Brian Barnhart, the
Thanks for the correction
Gold Crown, F-1, IRL, COT, Busch COT it seems like everyone is getting new cars at the same time and it is hard to keep up with them all

4/11/09, 7:05 PM   #18
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I was a vocal critic of the Versus coverage when it was announced, but I feel I was probably way off base with my assesment as they have put together a great announcing team and are really dedicating time to the series.
Anything that gets Paul Page the heck off my TV is most welcomed!!

4/11/09, 8:03 PM   #19
Bruce Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
Anything that gets Paul Page the heck off my TV is most welcomed!!
...and gets Bob Jenkins back on! :thumb

4/11/09, 8:29 PM   #20
Jim Halpert

Bob Jenkins and Robbie Buhl rock!!! Can someone de-vocalize Marty Reid? After listening to all of the jibber-jabber and arguing about who's where and whether there will be 22 or 42 at Indy...I can only come to the conclusion that, as usual, this Month of May will be very interesting and enjoyable as it has been for almost a century now.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 40 + cars @ Indy 500