IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #1 6/16/17 7:08 PM
A Facebook Post by USAC approx. 10 minutes ago:

Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of both Track Enterprises and USAC to find a reschedule date for the 63rd running of the Hoosier Hundred, a suitable date that worked within the Indiana State Fairgrounds’ schedule could not be found. The USAC Silver Crown Champ Car Series resumes tonight with the “Horn-Schindler Memorial” at Williams Grove Speedway in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #2 6/16/17 9:21 PM
That doesn't surprise me. I hope they keep the grandstand there longer than I expect.
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, Chase Hightower, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
Chase Hightower (Offline)
  #3 6/17/17 7:43 AM
Suitable date could not be found, or would not be found? Nothing new. Eldora should do a mile, or finish the mile Earl started on years ago behind the current track.
4 Likes: SPRINTCAR, team3521, treecitytornado, Wizard 05
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #4 6/17/17 9:09 AM
Very very sad one of the biggest, most prestigious races of the year doesn't have a Rain Date in the first place! Plus it's sad that they just kinda forgot their used to be a Hulman 100 too.
4 Likes: dirtball, erich45, Speedwrench, WinglessLovers
ISF (Offline)
  #5 6/17/17 10:37 AM
Am I off base here or is it very odd and a travesty that a bedrock race in the Club's premier division isn't afforded a solid rain date at the time the schedule is determined? Shouldn't these possible eventualities be considered from the get-go?

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
10 Likes: dirtball, erich45, interpreter66, Pat O'Connor Fan, Simon_says17, Speedwrench, team3521, TQ29m, treecitytornado, WinglessLovers
R A K (Offline)
  #6 6/17/17 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by ISF:
Am I off base here or is it very odd and a travesty that a bedrock race in the Club's premier division isn't afforded a solid rain date at the time the schedule is determined? Shouldn't these possible eventualities be considered from the get-go?
Especially when it is right in their home town ...
2 Likes: Simon_says17, team3521
SPRINTCAR (Offline)
  #7 6/17/17 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Chase Hightower:
Suitable date could not be found, or would not be found? Nothing new. Eldora should do a mile, or finish the mile Earl started on years ago behind the current track.
Yep, they could do ARCA and AMA Motorcycles. Heck maybe the Truck Series.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #8 6/17/17 6:42 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Very very sad one of the biggest, most prestigious races of the year doesn't have a Rain Date in the first place! Plus it's sad that they just kinda forgot their used to be a Hulman 100 too.
The fairgrounds do not want it there. How do you change that?
4 Likes: Jesse B, nitrofunny, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #9 6/17/17 7:39 PM
You are right, Brent! They care more about their dang horses! That's why the track has gotten worse and worse over the years! I remember when it used to actually hold some moisture at Hulman 100s or WoO Shows, when I was a kid. Wish the current fair board was more excited about promoting a great series and preserving the history too! I realize Bob and even A.J. Foyt had to work out lease deals to use the track. I remember watching The King beat Sammy on a last lap pass at the WoO show in 1991. The stands were nearly full too!
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, nitrofunny
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #10 6/17/17 8:50 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
You are right, Brent! They care more about their dang horses! That's why the track has gotten worse and worse over the years! I remember when it used to actually hold some moisture at Hulman 100s or WoO Shows, when I was a kid. Wish the current fair board was more excited about promoting a great series and preserving the history too! I realize Bob and even A.J. Foyt had to work out lease deals to use the track. I remember watching The King beat Sammy on a last lap pass at the WoO show in 1991. The stands were nearly full too!
Thanks for understanding what I meant. Since they no longer have concerts in the grandstand I am afraid its days are numbered. I love that track. I think the track may survive as a horse training facility, but it the grandstand goes racing will go with it. I wrote 2 of my state reps about it. I tried to explain the importance of it. They would rather tell how much money they saved by tearing it down. Sadly that would also impress a lot of Hoosiers.
5 Likes: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, Speedwrench, tirespinner, WinglessLovers