IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/cra
3/17/23, 7:52 PM   #21
Re: Usac/cra
erich45

USA raceway in Tucson has been idle since 2016, and was recently sold to a developer of commercial/industrial properties. The only track still open in the Tucson area is the paved track near the county fairgrounds.

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
3/17/23, 8:46 PM   #22
cowboyhar69

What about the track at Casa Grande… they ever run sprint cars?

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3/17/23, 8:56 PM   #23
erich45

Yes, had a pretty good field for a 2 day ASCS race last weekend. Central Arizona Speedway. No website that I can find, but they have a Facebook page.

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, oppweld
3/18/23, 3:56 AM   #24
Scott Daloisio

Central Arizona Speedway has a new promoter and a new name, Central Arizona Raceway. There site is up under that name.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
3/18/23, 9:16 AM   #25
flagboy55

Very interesting points on the thread. I do remember watching an interview with the promoter. I will stand to be corrected if necessary but I don’t remember them mentioning exorbitant concession prices and traffic delays as factors in losing attendance. I by no means claim to know anything other than a distant observation about life in California, but it appears from my vantage point, everything is more expensive there, so I don’t put a whole lot of stock in the concession price thing. I would bet concession’s are probably the same price at a minor league ball game or any other comparable activity. I will say this however, streaming is an easy target now days. While I understand tracks concern’s, my belief is there are many factors at play here, that affects all of us. My wife is a professional at spending money, without shame or regret. She came home last week from the dollar store complaining about how little she got for what she spent after going to get some snacks for the kids. I’m here to tell you, that should tell everyone that there’s bigger factors going on than streaming

3/18/23, 9:56 AM   #26
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
That track seemed to be getting good count and a good fan base.
I saw USAC sprints there a couple years ago and the track held up remarkably well for being in the middle of the desert.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Ilovedirttrackracing
3/18/23, 10:53 AM   #27
JMA1181

How do you sell a potential track or series sponsor when their extremely limited exposure is the small fan base that actually goes to the races? With online purchasing and shipping nationwide, I would think reaching anyone outside of the area would be a benefit for the sponsors as well.

Say what you will about the concessions but a $9 hotdog is tough no matter the location and cost of living. Go to Putnamville and you can get a tenderloin, hotdog, and a bottle of water for that same $9.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, racenut69
3/18/23, 12:13 PM   #28
erich45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio View Post
Central Arizona Speedway has a new promoter and a new name, Central Arizona Raceway. There site is up under that name.
Do you have a link? I'm not finding it.

3/18/23, 12:44 PM   #29
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Do you have a link? I'm not finding it.
Try www.thecentralarizonaraceway.com. Takes a minute or two to load.

1 member likes this post: erich45
3/18/23, 6:49 PM   #30
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
What about the track at Casa Grande… they ever run sprint cars?
Saw a non wing show there last year. There were 16 cars and the racing was good but a big gap in from the front to the back of the field. Talked to one of the drivers he said they needed every car the could get. I think it was ASCA 360's

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/cra