IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/2/23, 8:09 AM   #61
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
kb78

Not as big a traveler as some, but I've seen sprints at Skyline and Oakshade in Ohio which are both Late Model tracks and rarely run open wheelers. Also years ago they had midget races at the Nutter Center in Dayton/ Fairborn Ohio, it was onr of Kenny Irwin's first wins.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, JJMooney, tirespinner
2/2/23, 8:16 AM   #62
miledirt

Paducah, KY - WoO and All-Stars
Bolivar, Mo. - April '90, USAC

2/2/23, 8:47 AM   #63
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Santa Fe Speedway (Southwest side of Chicago) Saw both WOO & USAC races there
Kankakee Speeway In Illinois for the IRA Sprints around 2010 / 2011.

Crown Point Speedway in Crown Point, Indiana. Track was known as Southlake Speedway and Broadway Speedway for a a number of years before the name change around 2000. Saw a GLOSS (Great Lakes Outlaw Sprint Series) show there I believe it was 2001 / 2002 also saw a S.O.D. (Sprints On Dirt) there in 2005. They had the the old AMSA Mini Sprints (American Mini Sprint Association) there a few times in 2001 & 2002.

They never ran very many open wheel l races there but I was lucky enough to see a few sprint car races at my home track. The track closed in February 2006. Miss that track like crazy. National Dirt Late Model Hall Of Famer Dick Potts was stated in saying that track had the best Clay I have ever raced on Dick passed away in 2014 after doctors told him to retire from racing at age 78.

-

I will end this in saying PLEASE go out and support you local tracks before their gone. If you truly love racing in general you would be there. The team I’m with has already hit one race this year at the Talledega Short Track in Alabama with are 604 Crate Late Model and made the feature for the Ice Bowl in early January. Meeting NASCAR Hall Of Famer Red Farmer was a weekend Highlight.

All 3 tracks where primarily stock car tracks.
Last edited by nathans1012; 2/2/23 at 8:55 AM.

2/2/23, 10:27 AM   #64
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Is this the one Promoted by Lasoski?
So, I am just a bleacher creacher, so my memory may not be 100% accurate. What I remember is there was someone in the KC area that was trying to do promote midget races in the area. I believe that he did the US-36 races on Sunday night during the Belleville High Banks midget week. He started to fill better and better about his promoting skills when he took on the Kemper deal. At some point, he decided he needed help to make Kemper a success. This is when he asked Lasoski to help him co-promote. The way it was explained back in the day was the the original guy was the money guy and Lasoski was there to help with publicity.

There were a lot of other stories going around like they went to the Lucas family to help fund some of the purse, and that the promoter was over extending himself comping hotel rooms for some of the teams.

It was a two day show and Friday was really bad. Saturday was marginally better, but still a sh1t show. Almost as soon as the races were over there was complaining about the purses being paid. What I remember was the midgets eventually got paid but the minis and micros did not.

If anyone can confirm/correct any of this, please do. Most of this is going off what was said on the RacinBoys forum pages and the RacinBoys radio show.

The really unfortunate thing about this is that it killed the Sunday show at US-36 during the midwest tour. Midgets are absolutely made for US 36.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
2/2/23, 10:33 AM   #65
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
So, I am just a bleacher creacher, so my memory may not be 100% accurate. What I remember is there was someone in the KC area that was trying to do promote midget races in the area. I believe that he did the US-36 races on Sunday night during the Belleville High Banks midget week. He started to fill better and better about his promoting skills when he took on the Kemper deal. At some point, he decided he needed help to make Kemper a success. This is when he asked Lasoski to help him co-promote. The way it was explained back in the day was the the original guy was the money guy and Lasoski was there to help with publicity.

There were a lot of other stories going around like they went to the Lucas family to help fund some of the purse, and that the promoter was over extending himself comping hotel rooms for some of the teams.

It was a two day show and Friday was really bad. Saturday was marginally better, but still a sh1t show. Almost as soon as the races were over there was complaining about the purses being paid. What I remember was the midgets eventually got paid but the minis and micros did not.

If anyone can confirm/correct any of this, please do. Most of this is going off what was said on the RacinBoys forum pages and the RacinBoys radio show.

The really unfortunate thing about this is that it killed the Sunday show at US-36 during the midwest tour. Midgets are absolutely made for US 36.
I'd like to see a US-36,Sweet Springs Double XX Speedway midget weekend USAC or Powri.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, tirespinner
2/2/23, 1:06 PM   #66
BrentTFunk

I went to a race at the old Bunker Hill Speedway one Friday night. This was a paved stock car track, that had been covered in dirt. This was before Gas City existed, so we went. They only had like 9 sprints. There were several guys there, who went on to have big careers. Terry Shepard, Tony Elliott, Steve Butler, Robbie Stanley, and Dave Darland were there. Kind of hard to believe.

2/2/23, 2:53 PM   #67
Rpracing1

Ky. Lake Motor Speedway........WoO

Old Burg

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, tirespinner
2/2/23, 3:04 PM   #68
TQ29m

The old track wasn't exactly parallel with the stands and you had to watch your eyes were following the correct line!

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/2/23, 3:23 PM   #69
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Think there have been like Ten Sprint car races at Florence ky speedway since the late 80s. First one I seen there was Jeff Gordon's first USAC win which was Winged and well attended both car and fan wise. The track is a LM track. But MSCS ran there a couple years 2012-13? Good shows.

Also seen a cora midget race there on what was a quarter mile they built inside the main track that was mostly used for figure eights..

This year, BOSS runs FLORENCE. May 27th

5 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, JJMooney, mlamb, nathans1012, TNRustler
2/2/23, 3:36 PM   #70
Rapid Rick

Whitewater Raceway in Liberty, Indiana hosted USAC/CRA challenge back about 35 yrs. ago. Not sure how long since sprinters have been there but they put on a show that night with lots of big names.

3 members like this post: JJMooney, mlamb, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen