IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/5/23, 11:50 PM   #131
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
erich45

Firebird Raceway, Chandler AZ. WoO late 80's. Show Low, AZ. NMMRA 2018? Tiny track, 1 pushtruck, (teams were pushing off w/ 4 wheelers) no wrecker. They used a big forklift from the neighboring brickyard to remove disabled cars.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, JJMooney, WinglessLovers
2/7/23, 2:13 AM   #132
jdull99

The Historic Rockford Speedway in Loves Park IL. Must See Sprints have made a number of appearances. They WILL be back on Saturday July 1st for the Star Spangled Spectacular!!! They put on a GREAT show. A true Must See event!

https://msrxtreme.com/wp-content/upl...2-schedule.pdf
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/7/23, 7:04 PM   #133
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Firebird Raceway, Chandler AZ. WoO late 80's. Show Low, AZ. NMMRA 2018? Tiny track, 1 pushtruck, (teams were pushing off w/ 4 wheelers) no wrecker. They used a big forklift from the neighboring brickyard to remove disabled cars.
Been to both also.

Bruce & Pat Eckel

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing
2/8/23, 12:44 AM   #134
Volunteer410

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 50

If my memory fades me on a few of the tidbits , feel free to correct me

Being young and relatively new to the sport of dirt racing (started going about 10 years go this year ) my experiences at sprint car races have been concentrated to the mainstays of today . However I can distinctly remember a few races that haven't happened since for a variety of reasons

5-2-14
USCS Sprint Cars at 411 Motor Speedway , Seymour TN

Danny Smith was in attendance and a good field of sprint cars was on hand as well. Maybe 20+? Morgan Turpen had one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen since , flipped and was hit mid air by Lance Moss . I think she was injured but cant remember exactly , Terry Gray picked up the win

8-13-17
Great Lakes Dirt Nationals . FAST , BOSS & FAST 305 Sprints at Mansfield Motor Speedway , Mansfield OH

My all time favorite dirt track was Mansfield . Prefect size at 4/10ths of a mile for fantastic racing anytime I went . Over 120 Sprints in the pits with a who's who at that . Jimmy Seger , Dylan Cisney , Mike Wagner , Scotty Theil , Caleb Helms , Logan Wagner , Rob Chaney, Sye Lynch & Brock Zearfoss. Race ended at 4am due to two separate massive wrecks in the 410 Feature . Cottle & Dustin Smith won the BOSS Features , Armstrong the 410 and Stroup the 305. Was also in attendance for the 2018 100K to Win SCWC that Tim Shaffer won after a failed dive bomb by Ruetzel . Breaks my heart to see the state it is in now.

5-24-20
410 & 305 Sprints at Roaring Knob Motorsports Park , Markleysburg PA

During the strange time where racing was banned in Ohio and PA due to restrictions , RKMP defied the government and ran a race . State Troopers were called to the track during the event to attempt to arrest the owner but were denied. The 5 hour drive there was worth it for who was in the pits . A few cars from Michigan , Indiana , Ohio and PA . Heck , even some Wayne County Speedway Locals Chris & Jamie Meyers made the trek just to race . Place was a absolute dump . Rocks the size of boulders being picked up right before hot laps , wood poled chicken wire fencing , spoiled lukewarm hot dogs at concessions & a wasp infestation in the " grand stands ". Sye Lynch won the feature for the 410 and riled up the crowd with his two cents about the government's rules and regulations at the time . Cannot remember who won the 305 Feature . Got the chance to get acquainted with Saban Bibent at the event.

6-27-20
ASCoC at Volunteer Speedway , Bulls Gap TN

The same crazy 2020 year found me in TN at Volunteer Speedway for 410s . Spent the evening in the infield . Saw Lance Moss destroy a car by bouncing into three , place is so banked you strained your neck looking at the action . Ruetzel won the A Main and Saturdays Portion was rained out . 16 cars in attendence , so little that even Steve Surniak showed up !

Word of Advice , always take a chance on a racetrack running something special because you will never know when the track will close.

4 members like this post: erich45, JJMooney, mlamb, oppweld
2/8/23, 1:07 AM   #135
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Vollenteer410 wrote
8-13-17
Great Lakes Dirt Nationals . FAST , BOSS & FAST 305 Sprints at Mansfield Motor Speedway , Mansfield OH

My all time favorite dirt track was Mansfield . Prefect size at 4/10ths of a mile for fantastic racing anytime I went . Over 120 Sprints in the pits with a who's who at that . Jimmy Seger , Dylan Cisney , Mike Wagner , Scotty Theil , Caleb Helms , Logan Wagner , Rob Chaney, Sye Lynch & Brock Zearfoss. Race ended at 4am due to two separate massive wrecks in the 410 Feature . Cottle & Dustin Smith won the BOSS Features , Armstrong the 410 and Stroup the 305

End

While I enjoyed the Boss Races and the facilites. The whole show was a cluster bleep. spreading each car out like the feature for hotlaps and heats and consis etc. It was ten minutes between each heat. Boss ran second feature about two am. Was going to watch all star race but two massive wrecks in the first five laps or so. I had to get on the road. Seen the sun come up as I pulled in.

Wish they could have made that place work.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mlamb
2/8/23, 10:02 AM   #136
MDposse

Nice thread..always enjoyed seeing "new" places..still do.

Windber Stadium, Windber, PA. Saw a KARS 358 sprint show there, race track was built around the HS football field. Cool place that had a long history, but the racetrack has been gone for quite some time now.

Challenger raceway, Indiana, PA. Saw a 410 show there during their Fall Fest..huge event, close to 80 LM's as well. Mike Wagner won the sprint show. Really cool track built way up on a hill.

Thunder Valley, Central City, PA. Close to where flight 93 went down, gorgeous facility/track built out in the middle of nowhere, saw a LM show there.

2/9/23, 12:08 AM   #137
Stevensville Mike

As my memory comes back to me, Baer Field Raceway.

The late SOD series ran there once. I was there with a couple of my STAC buddies. Windy as all hell, but luckily at our backs. We pulled out all the stops and grilled hot dogs that night.

They laid down a dirt track inside the paved oval. Kind of like what Plymouth did a few times before they just dirted over the asphalt oval (and subsequently un-dirted it). The track was maybe...... MAYBE a 1/6 oval.

Shawn Valenti won that night. Maybe nine cars total? Joe Swanson was runner up. Only time for me ever at Baer Field Raceway. Despite the car count the show ran way long. They only had one wrecker. And an UNDERCARD of stocks! 5/21/17 was the date.

R.I.P. SOD.

R.I.P. Baer Field.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen