IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?
1/30/23, 5:12 PM   #31
Re: Is the system broken?
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Correct
I remember when gas hit 55 cents during the 1973 oil embargo, & lots of people saying if it ever hit $1, they would stop driving
Joke's on us....
Kind of like the same people who said " if cigarettes go to a dollar a pack. I am quitting". Those same people continue to smoke.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
1/30/23, 5:41 PM   #32
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Kind of like the same people who said " if cigarettes go to a dollar a pack. I am quitting". Those same people continue to smoke.

As much as I wanna quit. I still pay about a dollar a pack because there are options other than buying them by the pack or a brand.

As far as tires in this model they'd have to buy the ingredients and have their own molds. But that's not legal.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/30/23, 5:53 PM   #33
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
As much as I wanna quit. I still pay about a dollar a pack because there are options other than buying them by the pack or a brand.

As far as tires in this model they'd have to buy the ingredients and have their own molds. But that's not legal.
I quit smoking, not so much about price, but because of what it possibly would be
doing to me, I did quit burning gas in my hauler, and went to diesel because it was cheaper, and it got better mileage, and it didn't give a dang what I hooked behind it, it just said when ever you're ready, I guess I didn't make any promises I couldn't keep.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/30/23, 6:43 PM   #34
sp6967

is the system broken? of course it is.
Last edited by sp6967; 1/30/23 at 6:45 PM.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART, TQ29m
1/30/23, 9:05 PM   #35
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Words of wisdom from the same guy that ranted for three years that he'd never buy a digital camera. Then when he did, he acted like he invented them.
i will take credit for my brothers photography, but not the blame.

2 members like this post: fish, monkeyboy
1/30/23, 10:54 PM   #36
flagboy55

I don’t need anyone to tell me it’s a business. I understand how capitalism works. My opinion is this I a monopoly. There are several factors that can contribute to this. My point being is that how much less could you sell a tire for if you didn’t have to recoup the kickbacks to people that agree to only use your product. I also know that some of this does trickle down to some of the competitors, but lower price would benefit them all. One thing that did strike me during some of the thread was Pitdad’s comment about a competitive tire. Not sure what that means. I actually would be all for a hard a$$ spec tire. One that wouldn’t rubber down and some teams could run a couple nights. Of course that would probably sell less tires and not be competitive

2 members like this post: oppweld, Speedsme61x
1/31/23, 1:12 AM   #37
Pitdad

“Super hard” tires that won’t wear only work for one race. They tend to seal over and become useless. In my experience, you need a tire that’s soft enough to wear. Tracks taking rubber is the fault of track prep, not tire compounds (which I know will spark a whole other dead horse that will need more whipping).

4 members like this post: cornerthree, fish, OnTheHammer, oppweld
1/31/23, 10:58 AM   #38
BrentTFunk

This tire deal has been going on for what 25 years now? It is nothing new. I remember a pretty successful car owner telling me that he didn't like it, because he got free tires from another company. How much more do you think a company has to charge the little guys to give free tires to a couple of teams. Not exactly a real fair set up either. I can honestly say, that talking tire ******** is one of the things that I hate about the sport.

2 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, oppweld
1/31/23, 11:30 AM   #39
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Back about the time the monopoly and spec tire started AJ Anderson clearly stated he saved more on tires by running the right tire for the track. Said it was easy to get 5-7 nights out of a tire if you choose the right compound and setup.

Now you see em burn off a RR in a heat or consi because they have no choice.

I pitted for Rick Corbin (Late Model) back in the early to mid nineties some. I almost never remember running new tires. But Rick ran up front, Sometimes won. Still runs a mod and was very smart about getting the most out of the racing $$
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/31/23 at 11:31 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld
1/31/23, 6:07 PM   #40
Rochesterdj

Maybe some "Divine Intervention" could help. Heh?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?