IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AFS Badger Midget Series Tire Policy Announced
4/30/22, 11:05 AM   #1
AFS Badger Midget Series Tire Policy Announced
Ray3

4/30/2022

Sun Prairie, WI - April 29, 2022 - The AFS Badger Midget Series has announced a new policy to control tire costs and limit consumption. The new policy will continue to be assessed on a monthly basis as the season progresses.

“Tire availability is extremely limited at this time,” stated AFS Badger Midget Series President Quinn McCabe, “We must do something to limit tire consumption for our competitors.”

AFS Badger Midget Series competitors will be allowed to run any Hoosier tire compound for the month of May. Competitors will be allowed to purchase one new Hoosier right rear tire per event with tires available from the AFS Badger Midget Series at the track. Right rear tires will be stamped when cars are presented for qualifying. Teams will be required to run this stamped tire in the main event that evening. In the event any stamped tire becomes damaged or punctured during the night, teams will be allowed to petition officials for a replacement. If the tire is replaced, the competitor will be forced to start at the rear of the main event.

McCabe also stated, “We value every AFS Badger Midget Series competitor and we greatly appreciate everyone's understanding of the situation. We look forward to the start of our season in May.”

The AFS Badger Midget Series season opens on Saturday, May 7 at the Sycamore Speedway in Maple Park, IL.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, EBookerFan
4/30/22, 2:12 PM   #2
Re: AFS Badger Midget Series Tire Policy Announced
Spfld Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post

4/30/2022

Sun Prairie, WI - April 29, 2022 - The AFS Badger Midget Series has announced a new policy to control tire costs and limit consumption. The new policy will continue to be assessed on a monthly basis as the season progresses.

“Tire availability is extremely limited at this time,” stated AFS Badger Midget Series President Quinn McCabe, “We must do something to limit tire consumption for our competitors.”

AFS Badger Midget Series competitors will be allowed to run any Hoosier tire compound for the month of May. Competitors will be allowed to purchase one new Hoosier right rear tire per event with tires available from the AFS Badger Midget Series at the track. Right rear tires will be stamped when cars are presented for qualifying. Teams will be required to run this stamped tire in the main event that evening. In the event any stamped tire becomes damaged or punctured during the night, teams will be allowed to petition officials for a replacement. If the tire is replaced, the competitor will be forced to start at the rear of the main event.

McCabe also stated, “We value every AFS Badger Midget Series competitor and we greatly appreciate everyone's understanding of the situation. We look forward to the start of our season in May.”

The AFS Badger Midget Series season opens on Saturday, May 7 at the Sycamore Speedway in Maple Park, IL.
1. How does allowing a tire change for a heat race help with tire conservation? While USAC just had the same tire all night recently.

2. If you can buy one right rear per race from BADGER, then why are you doing this?

3. Does any compound mean chili bowl tires that are not only softer, but also have a wider footprint allowed to? And, is that the reason you can change tires for the heat race, so the few that have these tires can keep them fresh for the feature?

After thought on that question is aren't chili bowl tires bigger in diameter than most right rears? If so, some more left rear tires will be needed to achieve correct stagger. How does that help with the conservation effort?

4/30/22, 3:06 PM   #3
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spfld Kid View Post
1. How does allowing a tire change for a heat race help with tire conservation? While USAC just had the same tire all night recently.

2. If you can buy one right rear per race from BADGER, then why are you doing this?

3. Does any compound mean chili bowl tires that are not only softer, but also have a wider footprint allowed to? And, is that the reason you can change tires for the heat race, so the few that have these tires can keep them fresh for the feature?

After thought on that question is aren't chili bowl tires bigger in diameter than most right rears? If so, some more left rear tires will be needed to achieve correct stagger. How does that help with the conservation effort?

I think you need to know the totality of the circumstances to understand the decisions being made. Badger members who attend the meetings know the circumstances. This is the only way to go at this time. Also, notice this will be assessed on a monthly basis. Things will most likely change as time goes on.

In business when manufacturers go on what is called "allocation" or "managed order files" it is not easy on anyone including the manufacturer.
Last edited by Ray3; 4/30/22 at 3:10 PM.

2 members like this post: cornerthree, Ken Bonnema
4/30/22, 3:53 PM   #4
kendirt

Quote:

1. You don't understand the Badger qualifying procedure. "Qualifying" encompasses everything from hot laps to the end of the B.

2. Just one and they're letting you know there will be tires at the track.

3. Sounds like it, Angell Park and Sycamore are abrasive so good luck with that. They're going to have to put them on a 10" rim.

1 member likes this post: msan16
4/30/22, 4:51 PM   #5
Spfld Kid

Quote:
I think you need to know the totality of the circumstances to understand the decisions being made. Badger members who attend the meetings know the circumstances. This is the only way to go at this time. Also, notice this will be assessed on a monthly basis. Things will most likely change as time goes on.

In business when manufacturers go on what is called "allocation" or "managed order files" it is not easy on anyone including the manufacturer.
There's a massive tire shortage, what's not to understand? I also understand you guys doing something to help that. But then you also say that a competitor can buy one right rear per event. So why not run your guys spec tire for the whole night? I mean I get it if there's no tires available, but I'm going off the words you wrote that a single right rear will be available at the badger booth?

4/30/22, 5:08 PM   #6
Spfld Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
1. You don't understand the Badger qualifying procedure. "Qualifying" encompasses everything from hot laps to the end of the B.

2. Just one and they're letting you know there will be tires at the track.

3. Sounds like it, Angell Park and Sycamore are abrasive so good luck with that. They're going to have to put them on a 10" rim.
1. I've seen your races. You hot lap/qualify for 3 or 4 laps. Usually not much wear and tear there. Common practice with a tire rule is to be able to run s different tire if you have to run the B. Heat race are just 8 laps, and you guys features are just 25. No reason a tire can't go 42 laps in a night. Unless it's super soft, which leads to number 2.

2. You guys say that one right rear a night is available for your competitors, and I believe it's a spec tire. So why do you need to let gumball tires run if one new spec right rears are available according to press release? Run the spec tire all night, then no need for non spec tires.

3. With a 10" rim, it still has a wider footprint, along with being softer. And to my other thought, the tires are all ready bigger in circumference and made for 12" rims. Now they'll be even bigger, meaning most likely more tires (left rears) will have to be bought to get the right stagger.

4/30/22, 5:58 PM   #7
Crankin

Sorry Robbie, but i gotta ask:
Are there going to be rr’s available for all?
Reason i ask is i was at hoosier indy yesterday.
They had ZERO SP2’s and 2 SP3”s that were already spoken for.
So how are we going to have enough? Thanks

4/30/22, 6:13 PM   #8
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
Sorry Robbie, but i gotta ask:
Are there going to be rr’s available for all?
Reason i ask is i was at hoosier indy yesterday.
They had ZERO SP2’s and 2 SP3”s that were already spoken for.
So how are we going to have enough? Thanks
The short answer is yes. Call Quinn for details.

1 member likes this post: Crankin
4/30/22, 6:14 PM   #9
Ray3

Quote:
There's a massive tire shortage, what's not to understand? I also understand you guys doing something to help that. But then you also say that a competitor can buy one right rear per event. So why not run your guys spec tire for the whole night? I mean I get it if there's no tires available, but I'm going off the words you wrote that a single right rear will be available at the badger booth?
I find it interesting that your first three posts on this forum are bashing directed at the Badger Midgets. Who are you?

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, nathans1012, ossuks
4/30/22, 7:18 PM   #10
Spfld Kid

Quote:
I find it interesting that your first three posts on this forum are bashing directed at the Badger Midgets. Who are you?
Am NOT bashing Badger. I am just Questioning the logic in the way you guys are handling this. Questions which you did not answer.
And now that you have said there are tires to be had, I again ask, why are you doing this if right rears are available each night?

1 member likes this post: Radicle
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > AFS Badger Midget Series Tire Policy Announced