IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500 First Timer
4/4/22, 4:00 PM   #21
Re: 500 First Timer
diversified

The Little 500 is a Saturday night event-nothing happens on track during the day other than a brief warm-up at 4:30. They usually have an autograph session around 5:30 or 6:00 pm, pre-race ceremonies/driver intros at 7:00 pm, and they fire the cars at 8:00 pm. Leave your ear protection off for the first few laps, it's quite the sound!!! Race Monitor app on your phone is nice for $4.99, but the speedway scoreboard shows the lap count and top 5 cars, plus the PA announcer runs down the vield during cautions. Make sure you get a tenderloin sandwich at the turn one concession stand at some point. I fyou want an event t-shirt grab one early, they always sell out fast. Strongly recommend purchasing advanced tickets, great Little 500 info on the Anderson Speedway website should have everything you need.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/4/22, 4:34 PM   #22
Pitdad

If you’re coming to the Prairie before Indy, you’ll be there for Badger Midgets and the IRA vs All Stars Challenge (5/22). You don’t need to worry about track prep because with all those moisture vacuums on top of the sprints, it doesn’t matter how much water gets put down prior to Sunday evening. They will have it dry before hot laps ends. (Just hope it’s smooth, we don’t like sprint car sized ruts). Bring your lawn chairs and sit in comfort on the front straight terraces, or find a spot in the turn 1 stands and get showered with clay while it lasts. It’s a tradition.

Allow yourself a little time beforehand to see the names and plaques at the National Midget HOF in turns 1&2. I’ve always got my head down thrashing on something, so I honestly never get to sample the concessions, but I’m told the pit shack cheeseburgers taste great, and every night ends well with a cold PBR. When we leave, we’re headed east, so a late night stop at The Pine Cone in Johnson Creek is SOP. Don’t worry about staying at the track too long and getting there too late, they never close. There are literally no locks on the door. For some quality (surly) midwestern overnight waitressing, ask to sit in Kathy’s section.

Of course, Sun Prairie is a midget town, and I’m told midgeteers like to imbibe on occasion (any occasion), so I suppose there are places nearby to indulge in that activity as well. Of course, we wouldn’t know about such things…

4/4/22, 5:45 PM   #23
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
The 500 Festival Parade begins at 11:45 AM local time (you need to be in the spot where you'll view the parade by at least 11:00 AM, earlier the better). We've attended the parade a couple of times before the pandemic and if memory serves me the duration is something approaching 2 hours. That would have you heading to Anderson for the Little 5 by approximately 1:45 PM. Keep in mind that the traffic can be rather congested after the parade. Without traffic incumbrances drivetime from downtown Indianapolis to Anderson Speedway is approximately 1.25 hours. If you hustle you should be able to get to the Little 500 with some time to spare.

Be advised that the parade draws about 300,000 people so traffic will be your biggest hindrance to doing both events. Quickly getting on the road with good route planning and you should be good to go in regards to doing both events.

Have fun!!
I am a sucker for a parade and the Indy 500 parade did not disappoint. I remember doing some research on where to park so that was not to big of an issue. However, getting back to the hotel was an adventure. It was 8-9 years ago that I went and I had an older Garmin navigation unit. Every road that it wanted to take me down to get to the hotel was closed due to the parade. By the time I could find a route to my hotel, I was in a unique part time. I was able to watch the parade and take a tour of Indy's finest crack houses all in the same day.

4/4/22, 6:05 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

This is one of my favorite weeks of the year. I am starting the Friday and Saturday before at Terre Haute, USAC Sprints for the Hulman Classic. Friday pays $5000 to win, Saturday $10,000. Then they are at Circle City $5000 to win on Wednesday, $10,000 to win on Thursday. Friday Carb Day, maybe IRP that night. Little 500 on Saturday night. Kokomo on Sunday night. If my nephew comes up from TN, I will do Indy with him too. Little 500 is can't miss in my opinion.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
4/4/22, 6:19 PM   #25
RACrappieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
I grew up listening to the 500 on the radio and I still think of it as a must have for the race even though I've been attending for the past two decades. A small pocket radio with ear buds has replaced the big ear muffs with the radio dial.
In addition to the museum, I'd recommend the short stroll through Speedway to Charlie Brown's for breakfast or lunch. Lots to see and do on this little strip.

I’d definitely agree on the radio statement. It really helps in keeping up with what is going on. Also, bring sunscreen, otherwise you will definitely get sunburned in the aluminum bleachers.

4/4/22, 7:08 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yes, the scoreboard at the Little 500 shows laps and top five. Near end of the race, all of em could be on a different lap. Hence Race monitor app. About four years ago. Kody Swanson went two laps down when he ran his tires almost 250 laps and spun. But stopped facing in the right direction and was able to get pushed in and a pit stop and only lost two laps. Made both laps up by and passed em all again for the win.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/4/22 at 7:12 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PIT CART, tj39
4/4/22, 11:45 PM   #27
markd

Quote:
Originally Posted by north star View Post
is it possible for a person to attend the 500 parade and still make it to the little 500?
Did it a few years ago and had to wait for out son to get done in the parade. Made it with plenty of time to spare

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, ISF
4/23/22, 3:45 AM   #28
sparky

Is the drive to Kokomo manageable with the post-500 traffic? This is something I might consider doing this year.

4/23/22, 8:44 AM   #29
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Is the drive to Kokomo manageable with the post-500 traffic? This is something I might consider doing this year.
We sit in the NE Vista, park in a yard on West 30th Street and head for the car when the winner comes by on his cool down lap. It's about a 15 minute walk to the car. All lanes on 30th are eastbound and the traffic zips along. We turn north on Meridian which turns into Route 31 North and are parked in the lot at Kokomo 1 1/2 to 2 hours after leaving our seats. Never have had a problem. In fact we were always there before Bryan Claussen's bus tour arrived.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, BrentTFunk, ISF, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500 First Timer