IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500 First Timer
4/4/22, 6:27 AM   #11
Re: 500 First Timer
Offroadrace_814

I agree with a visit to Charlie Browns for breakfast or lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
I grew up listening to the 500 on the radio and I still think of it as a must have for the race even though I've been attending for the past two decades. A small pocket radio with ear buds has replaced the big ear muffs with the radio dial.
In addition to the museum, I'd recommend the short stroll through Speedway to Charlie Brown's for breakfast or lunch. Lots to see and do on this little strip.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
4/4/22, 6:38 AM   #12
Pancho Stapp

If you do have time to kill while in Speedway hit the Big Woods brewing and get the pulled pork nachos you will be pleasantly surprised. Also Tacos and Tequila for your mexican fix and Barbecue and Bourbon for good eats. Sarah Fisher has an indoor karting facility there on Main St. as well. If you are into coneys, malts, and onion rings go around the corner onto 10th. St. and visit the Mug-n-Bun. Those are all the happening spots in Speedway other than Daredevil Brewing. Enjoy your trip to Indy i hope you have a great time. Myself i have seen every 500 since 1965 except the Covid closure year.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, miledirt, oppweld, racenut69
4/4/22, 11:22 AM   #13
duel

For just staying in the greater Indianapolis area that week you have 2 nights of USAC sprints at circle city Wednesday and Thursday. Carb day Friday at the speedway. That is a great way to get familiar with the 500 cars and drivers. Friday evening USAC midgets and silver crown features at IRP. Saturday a huge parade downtown that has all the 500 starters in it. The 500 on Sunday.
Last edited by duel; 4/4/22 at 11:57 AM. Reason: .

4/4/22, 1:34 PM   #14
Pitdad

If you would like 'Ribs Fit For a King", let me suggest King Ribs on 16th St. No designer, dry rub, fusion pretense here. Just rib tips, swimming in smoky barbeque sauce, collard greens, and mac 'n cheese. Ask for extra napkins...

1 member likes this post: racenut69
4/4/22, 2:00 PM   #15
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Buy little 500 tickets in advance if going. usually sells out by mid afternoon if not prior to race day. Really a race everyone should see at least once and have a race monitor app to help keep track of who's on what lap. Not too hard to do untill the pit stops happen and that happens at least twice. Only sprint car race with pit stops. It's a hoot.

Also a lot of sun block for the weekend and prepare for anything, from cold to hot to thunderstorms.
If you DON'T have a race monitor app, you'll have NO idea what's going on!

4/4/22, 2:16 PM   #16
north star

is it possible for a person to attend the 500 parade and still make it to the little 500?

4/4/22, 2:59 PM   #17
ThrowbackRacingTeam

On your way to Angell Park you’ll want to stop and grab some New Glarus spotted cow beer. It’s only sold in Wisconsin and a favorite in the region. Wisconsin cheese is also a must. You’ll probably drive through Dubuque Iowa on your way so there is Gile cheese in Cuba City just off route. Or, Mouse House in Sun Prairie and just north of that in De Forrest is Ehlenbach’s. One of my favorite things to do is have a spotted cow and hunk of real Wisconsin cheese in the parking lot of Angell Park right before the races! Bring a bottle opener. Angell Park isn’t quite what it used to be since they moved in the inner barrier of the track and track prep became less than desirable the second half of last season. Complaints seemed to fall on deaf ears but maybe they can find a happy medium this season. It’s still a pretty cool place to go and I’m planning on the USAC sprint race there in June if USAC doesn’t lose all its participation by then.

4/4/22, 3:14 PM   #18
dsc1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by north star View Post
is it possible for a person to attend the 500 parade and still make it to the little 500?
Parade is on Saturday starting around noon. Anderson is a little under an hour from downtown Indy so you'll have time.
Last edited by dsc1600; 4/4/22 at 3:15 PM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/4/22, 3:17 PM   #19
dsc1600

The other thing if you wanted something to do on Thursday afternoon, Little 500 qualifying is free and kind of fun. You seem to have a great schedule lined up, I'd add Carb Day on Fri and haul down to Bloomington.

4/4/22, 3:22 PM   #20
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by north star View Post
The 500 Festival Parade begins at 11:45 AM local time (you need to be in the spot where you'll view the parade by at least 11:00 AM, earlier the better). We've attended the parade a couple of times before the pandemic and if memory serves me the duration is something approaching 2 hours. That would have you heading to Anderson for the Little 5 by approximately 1:45 PM. Keep in mind that the traffic can be rather congested after the parade. Without traffic incumbrances drivetime from downtown Indianapolis to Anderson Speedway is approximately 1.25 hours. If you hustle you should be able to get to the Little 500 with some time to spare.

Be advised that the parade draws about 300,000 people so traffic will be your biggest hindrance to doing both events. Quickly getting on the road with good route planning and you should be good to go in regards to doing both events.

Have fun!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500 First Timer