IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora format change
9/27/16, 12:19 PM   #21
Re: eldora format change
midget96

Personally got home at 7am. WITH THAT SAID - I am very blessed to be able to attend and see such great racing at such a historic track as Eldora (and all the other tracks in Indiana and surrounding states). I am not a promoter nor am I a track prep expert so I have NO opinion on those subjects. I just know that if I get home "late" from a few races a year I DON'T CARE, because I have heard many fans wish they had all this open wheel racing in their back yard. AND YES I HAD TO WORK SUNDAY. And if your left early and couldn't make it any longer you MISSED a heck of a driving show put on by Chris Windom and that team . JMO quit your whining and enjoy the show.
Last edited by midget96; 9/27/16 at 12:23 PM.

9/27/16, 12:35 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylezero View Post
one thing i saw that could of helped with the late show, park the crown cars up top, they would have only had to open the gate a couple times instead of all night long at 5 minutes or longer each time. since the crown cars didnt run heats it would of knocked at least an hour of the show. i understand the guys needing to get to cars and what not, just and idea?
I've seen many more haulers in the pits including a couple years back 138 car Sprntacular. I think they were trying to keep the tall haulers off the back straight parking and they did a good job. Just feel that there were several small haulers on the front straight including vendors that could have made room for them and the got the rest in in the corners and still not block visuals.

Im not knocking this at all. I thought they did a good job keeping the track visable with what they have to work with. The only thing I'd change is fri haulers must be removed so they can park em by size saturday Move the vendors in front of he building or in the corner. The crews need stuff, They'll find the vendor

1 member likes this post: kylezero
9/27/16, 2:58 PM   #23
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget96 View Post
Personally got home at 7am. WITH THAT SAID - I am very blessed to be able to attend and see such great racing at such a historic track as Eldora (and all the other tracks in Indiana and surrounding states). I am not a promoter nor am I a track prep expert so I have NO opinion on those subjects. I just know that if I get home "late" from a few races a year I DON'T CARE, because I have heard many fans wish they had all this open wheel racing in their back yard. AND YES I HAD TO WORK SUNDAY. And if your left early and couldn't make it any longer you MISSED a heck of a driving show put on by Chris Windom and that team . JMO quit your whining and enjoy the show.
Come to think of it I screwed up. If I had known how long track prep was gonna take, I could have spent my life savings on those simulators, had fun & bumped up the old adrenaline...
Work Sunday? Very impressive... how old are you? No way could I do that anymore
Glad you had fun

9/27/16, 3:07 PM   #24
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget96 View Post
I left Woodstock early too (seriously)
Got there in time for 1st act (Richie Havens) Friday afternoon, had a great time, slept in the mud thru most of The Who playing "Tommy", saw Jefferson Airplane at daybreak Sunday morning, left, utterly burnt out & satisfied. I had to start a new job that Monday...
Just learned that a gearhead buddy of mine was there also, stayed till the bitter end (Jimi Hendrix, Monday morning) Now I know 4 people who saw Hendrix there...
Sometimes "enough is enough"....

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/27/16, 4:12 PM   #25
Graham08

The one problem with parking one whole division outside is it makes it really tough, if not impossible, for the guys pulling double, triple, or quadruple duty.

9/27/16, 5:25 PM   #26
Tumey's 55

Of all the suggestions the one which makes most sense for everyone involved is to qualify early so the track can be reworked before heats begin. That way teams only have to be there one day. Average fans don't want to watch 140 cars qualify (whatever the number was). Hardcore fans do and they will show up early anyway. I couldn't make it this year but along with Smackdown this was always my favorite event. This event is always plagued by late completion so getting started early seems really important if you want to expand the fan base.

9/27/16, 6:24 PM   #27
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH24 View Post
Initially I believe it was qualifying Friday, heat races Saturday, and features on Sunday. If I remember right Earl changed features to Saturday nights after Paige Jones accident due the track getting drying out and dusty conditions in the afternoons. Haven't been to 4-Crown for several years but when Johnny Vance and Earl started promoting the event it was our favorite week-end at Eldora. And as for those complaining about dusty conditions it was always that ways, still have googles in my RV that I would have to wear when at Eldora sitting in turn 4.
It was never Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Always been Fri/Sat, or Sat/Sunday. Also, Page Jones' accident was on a Saturday night- I can clearly recall the accident. Been to 18 Four Crowns in a row plus a few more previous to that.

9/27/16, 10:17 PM   #28
REH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
It was never Fri, Sat, and Sunday. Always been Fri/Sat, or Sat/Sunday. Also, Page Jones' accident was on a Saturday night- I can clearly recall the accident. Been to 18 Four Crowns in a row plus a few more previous to that.
Sorry but I was there that day in fact had just talked to Page a little before accident. Also they did run 3 days since the first year of 4-Crown plus I have photo albums and programs.

If doubt about Sunday racing and Page Jones accident which occurred 9/25/94 read this article from LA Times dated 9/27/94.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-..._1_race-driver

Hopefully this will clear up your memory a little.
Last edited by REH24; 9/27/16 at 10:25 PM.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/28/16, 12:20 AM   #29
SteelCore

At the rate they're going we'll end up having Sunday afternoon racing... They just start it Saturday afternoon!

1 member likes this post: dirt330
9/28/16, 11:05 PM   #30
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
What are you smokin? It started out with late model and silver crown prelims Friday night, sprint and midget prelims Saturday night and the features on Sunday afternoon. Watched Steve Kinser start last in Vogler's car and win the Silver Crown feature in a cloud of dust in bright daylight on either ESPN or ABC television. I still have the tape. I saw Page's crash in ESPN also in daylight. You've either got some really killer stuff or dementia. They did switch after Page's crash to Friday and Saturday night with qualifying and heats on Friday and B's and A's Saturday night. Under that format, not much purse would have to be paid Friday and the bigger crowd that would show up on Saturday would still see plenty of racing. I drove 7 hours each way one year for just the Saturday night races and thought it was perfect....so, of course they changed it!
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 9/28/16 at 11:17 PM.

1 member likes this post: REH24
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora format change