IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midget Series from ASCS and Hahn
6/30/08, 11:36 AM   #11
Re: New Midget Series from ASCS and Hahn
DonMoore10

I can always count on you to make my day!

6/30/08, 2:33 PM   #12
Offy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I'm still clipping coupons here so I can keep up with the $2 million dollar midget teams running for $2500. :headbang
Wait until you see how much Emmit pays! If it's anything similar to ASCS sprint purses you'll have to place first to cover your travel and tire costs

6/30/08, 3:37 PM   #13
DonMoore10

I just bought a new pair of scissors at Dollar General Store........

6/30/08, 4:40 PM   #14
ryoung99

Race Count This Year: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy22 View Post
Wait until you see how much Emmit pays! If it's anything similar to ASCS sprint purses you'll have to place first to cover your travel and tire costs
I think you are missing the point and I know a little bit about this topic. The engine will be a sealed engine ala' Focus, but with substancially more power. It is the intent to make the engine as (or more) reliable than the Focus engine, thus you have almost eliminated any engine maintence expense from your budget (there are Focus engines with 70+ shows still running up front). The engine will still cost you south of $10k and should provide Esslinger ST power.

All I read on boards is about the cost of racing, here is a solution that addresses the barrier to entry for the working class individual. Racers and fans alike should be applauding the move as an alternative for somone who cannot or chooses to not spend truckloads of cash on a motor.

With the budgets of the top midget teams the time is right for a national spec midget program where the motors can be run somewhat competitively with regional groups (NEMA, WMRA, BCRA, etc). If the ASCS is moving forward with their program it will help the other "splinter" groups. I did some calculations, and it is cheaper to competitively run a Focus program (on dirt) for free, than to race a full midget with USAC. It is not about how much you make at the races, it is about how much you lose overall. And if you can reduce the motor cost and control your tire cost you are already ahead.

Next season we will have 3 cars with this new engine. Right now when we run our cars with Focus engines we actually come out ahead when we race with them (we also race to finish and do not tear up our stuff), and we only get paid $150 (average per car). With the new engine we might even slip into the winners circle every now and then it will be a bonus. But our goal is to race and have fun doing so and still be able to afford to send our daughter to Stanford or Harvard.

Individuals that understand this and are working to promote cost control racing should be applauded.

Let's face it, no-one racing midgets with USAC, BADGER, ARDC, BCRA, WMRA, etc. is making money doing so, thus you should focus on reducing/eliminating the your loss. Thus if as a racer you can control your costs, the purse will be a bonus not your focal point.

6/30/08, 4:45 PM   #15
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung99 View Post
Individuals that understand this and are working to promote cost control racing should be applauded.
Everytime someone says they're going to save me money, I end up poorer than I was before!:headbang

6/30/08, 4:57 PM   #16
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy22 View Post
Offy, you better check your stats as the ASCS Regional sprint purses are better than any of the IN nonwinged tracks, paying $1500 to win and $250 to start PLUS $100 tow if you don't make the show.

6/30/08, 5:22 PM   #17
ryoung99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
Everytime someone says they're going to save me money, I end up poorer than I was before!:headbang
:O: While that might be true, what I am saying is save yourself the money. In other words race in a class where there is a sealed/spec engine (that is proven to last) and with a tire rule that works and you will save money.

The other night we ran our focus cars with the BCRA. Our take home for the night was $450, our costs for racing that night (including tow) were less than $300. The tires still look like brand new after three races (spec FOCUS tire) and all we did when we got home was tighten the bolts and change the oil (it has been a few races since the last change). With the new engine package I bet we would have brought home close to $750 (or more) with the same cost, thus actually contributing to my daughters college fund (which is important so that she becomes smarter than I and never buys a race car to begin with).

6/30/08, 5:27 PM   #18
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung99 View Post
:O: While that might be true, what I am saying is save yourself the money. In other words race in a class where there is a sealed/spec engine (that is proven to last) and with a tire rule that works and you will save money.

The other night we ran our focus cars with the BCRA. Our take home for the night was $450, our costs for racing that night (including tow) were less than $300. The tires still look like brand new after three races (spec FOCUS tire) and all we did when we got home was tighten the bolts and change the oil (it has been a few races since the last change). With the new engine package I bet we would have brought home close to $750 (or more) with the same cost, thus actually contributing to my daughters college fund (which is important so that she becomes smarter than I and never buys a race car to begin with).
How is changing classes or engine rules going to save me money if I already have my engine?

6/30/08, 5:41 PM   #19
ryoung99

How many times do you rebuild per year and what is the cost?

If you are the average guy, the answer is 2-3x at $5k+.

Simple math (conservatively speaking, assuming you can get 60 races out of the new engine prior to rebuild and the rebuild cost is similar to a Focus)....

Year 1 (20 races) = -$10k (new engine) + $10k (rebuilds saved) + $10k (selling your old motor) = $10k savings

Year 2 (20 races) = +10k (rebuild cost saved) = $10k savings (accumlative $20k)

Year 3 (20 races) = +10 (rebuild cost saved) - $4k (long block swap out at seasons end) = $6k savings (accumulative $26k for three years).

Now you have raced 60 times and your cost to race is $26k less, that is equivalent to $433 per night of racing. That is probably more than your average take home from racing right now. And this model is conservative at only 60 nights. If the engine has the same reliability as the Focus your total savings will most likely be even more than what I have illustrated (80 races = $36k or $450 per night savings).

Thus you might have a cash flow issue at the start, but you will end up with less engine costs that you probably see today.

6/30/08, 6:11 PM   #20
Heromaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I can always count on you to make my day!
I expected that kind of comment from you too. All I am saying is enjoy your racing or don't go.

We decided to do that this year (getting away from fighting with ********) and just having fun. Since then we have won one race and ran 3rd in the other.

Dealing with the ******** of racing is a dead end street. We are supporting 2 series right now and are enjoying ourselves more.

I have on question for you Don (and this is a real question not sarcastic) how is buying another motor ($10,000)to run with ASCS and traveling farther to race (at $5.00 a gallon for Deisel) and running for the same purses ($1,500 to win which there is only one winner) going to save you so much money.

Really I am trying to stay constructive Don. If you want to not talk here about it I will try to stop by and introduce myself to you at Midget Week.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midget Series from ASCS and Hahn