IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules
10/29/07, 9:31 PM   #31
Re: Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules
StandOnThePedal

WHY CHANGE!!! what is wrong with the racing the non wing cars provide. Its the wing cars that have the problem. Maybe add a thousand lbs to Ballou and Stanbrough to make it fair, but that doesnt matter deal with what we have or dont come to the track.

10/29/07, 9:52 PM   #32
LocalYokel

Lots of very intellegent people suggest cutting down the width of the RR to solve alot of the cost problems. Maybe thats saying something? If your that concerned about not being able to handle a car with a narrower RR then space it out, problem solved...

10/29/07, 10:35 PM   #33
DJ Ott22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalYokel View Post
Lots of very intellegent people suggest cutting down the width of the RR to solve alot of the cost problems. Maybe thats saying something? If your that concerned about not being able to handle a car with a narrower RR then space it out, problem solved...
How is that going to cut cost? the guys who can afford the 40,000 motors are going to have them. All its going to do is hurt the little guy. You cant go making drastic changes in racing or the little guy will get shoved out and local racing wont be the same. Now people are going to say the dt3 rule but that is a tire you dont have to buy new wheels to mount up a dt3. Like Jerry said keep it the same no reason to change something that is working. When the car counts get way down then its time for change but right now it is at its peak and going great all over. Like I have always been told if its not broke dont fix it.. JMHO

10/29/07, 10:42 PM   #34
zeroracer

if your going to cut cost why not make gradual changes like one year no **** pit adjusters, then next year no gas shocks then next year something different but have a plan so that way it illiminates the problems DJ mentioned of the little guy not being able to keep up with rule changes decide a year in advance so teams have a full year to use there old equip, like say and this is just an example if they want a non adjustable steel body shock rule for 09' tell teams in 08' that is the plan so they can use what they have and wear it out ect. give them time to buy and use what they need and what they have.

10/30/07, 12:16 AM   #35
LocalYokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Ott22 View Post
How is that going to cut cost? the guys who can afford the 40,000 motors are going to have them. All its going to do is hurt the little guy. You cant go making drastic changes in racing or the little guy will get shoved out and local racing wont be the same. Now people are going to say the dt3 rule but that is a tire you dont have to buy new wheels to mount up a dt3. Like Jerry said keep it the same no reason to change something that is working. When the car counts get way down then its time for change but right now it is at its peak and going great all over. Like I have always been told if its not broke dont fix it.. JMHO
Let em have a 40000 (or a 4 million dollar) motor if they want. As pretty much anyone with a clue knows, in Indiana if you've got more than 15k invested in a motor you're pretty wasteful. A harder, narrower tire will save lots of money for the little teams. Who cares if you've got to buy new wheel halfs when you're already buying a new RR every two nights. It's not the inatial investment that creates cost issues its the upkeep. You can get a year old car from a USAC team, motor and all, for no more than 22,000, but it costs ya several hundred a night to run up front.

And as much as people would like to think otherwise 410's in Indiana are slowly going the way of the buffalo. Look at Bloomington. Few years ago 40+ good cars a night and if you were a local it was an accomplishment to make the feature. Now more or less everyone makes it. Same way with Gas City.

10/30/07, 9:19 AM   #36
DonRacer

The cars are over-powering most of the tracks anyway, go to an open engine rule and you reduce engine cost by at least 30%.
1. Any Engine Displacement or Configuration 2. Any Fuel (Including Nitromethane and or Nitrous Oxide) 3. Any Aspiration

10/30/07, 1:17 PM   #37
GeoffDodge

Don:

Some specific examples of how you figure this would be nice. I have found that when you are experimenting with new combinations of stuff in the engine department it can get pretty spendy. I like the idea of having options to build horsepower, but unlimited motors give a lot of room for some nasty stuff.

10/30/07, 1:34 PM   #38
Al Soran

What the heck, I'll jump in. How about rear tires that durometer out to somewhere around what you might find on an old Buick. I mean hard! You know, something that will last you two seasons. This eliminates the need for the big motor (money savings), utilizes the same wheels, tracks last longer (better racing), and little to no tire bill by comparison (more money saved). Also, more "little guys might give it a shot. What do you think?

10/30/07, 1:44 PM   #39
Dgentry51

all i have to say about horsepower is ,its better to have it and not need it as to need it and not have it .in many different circumstances as a driver

10/30/07, 4:06 PM   #40
Rex W.

Hummm Sometimes a lil harder tire is just the ticket on a tacky track.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thougts on 2008 Knoxville Cost Saving Rules