IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Minarik Titanium Midget
11/18/11, 12:10 PM   #1
Mike Minarik Titanium Midget
DHolbrook

After 5 years of research and developing, Midget Car Owner Mike Minarik of Denver, Colorado is in the process of building the first and only Titanium Midget.

The plans are to have the car ready for the 2012 Chili Bowl Midget Nationals, with PJ Jones as driver.

Throughout the weeks leading up to the Chili Bowl, I'll be releasing photo's on the process.

The chassis weights between 70-75 pounds.

If you have any questions about the Titanium Midget Ti-1, please feel to contact me through here or email me at freebird_motorsports@comcast and I'll relay the message to Mike.

Thanks,

Don Holbrook
Freebird Motorsports Marketing
www.freebirdmotorsports.smugmug.com
Attached Images
IMG_0072.JPG (301.9 KB, 2229 views)
IMG_0001.JPG (306.7 KB, 2071 views)
IMG_0002.JPG (404.2 KB, 1917 views)
IMG_0003.JPG (330.1 KB, 1961 views)
IMG_0055.JPG (383.5 KB, 2000 views)
IMG_0061.JPG (198.5 KB, 1840 views)
IMG_0070.JPG (114.6 KB, 1889 views)
Last edited by DHolbrook; 11/18/11 at 12:14 PM.

11/18/11, 12:23 PM   #2
kstudley57

This thing will be a work of art, spent some time around mike at chili bowl last year and his craftsman ship and attention to detail is 2nd to none.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: mud chassis
11/18/11, 12:27 PM   #3
Re: Mike Minarik Titanium Midget
suade82

So what grade of Titanium was used? What size tubing was used?

11/18/11, 12:35 PM   #4
DAD

Beautiful. I have read about welding Ti That is no easy task. Kids don't try this at home. I can not imagine how many man hours went into all those welds. You don't have to worry about track side repair welds. Hope he has spare chassis for the Chili bowl that is a rough little joint.

My money will still be on that old man in the Spike, He wasn't even out of breath last year after chasing Jr around the whole race.

THAT THING WILL REALLY BE PRETTY WITH A COAT OF PAINT!
Last edited by DAD; 11/18/11 at 12:39 PM.

11/18/11, 12:36 PM   #5
Tony74

Beautiful car! The wheel and front end are slick… One question from a building standpoint how was the frame welded up? I know ti requires a completely purged environment was this done in a booth or with an aerospace company?

11/18/11, 12:48 PM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
Beautiful car! The wheel and front end are slick… One question from a building standpoint how was the frame welded up? I know ti requires a completely purged environment was this done in a booth or with an aerospace company?
I can just see a welder with his scuba gear on inside an argon filled booth and wiggling around that thing to weld it. I have seen a few ti o2 sensor bungs welded in MC pipes by filling tube and using plenty of shielding gas They were not this pretty. It is neat you weld it and its looks pretty then you start hearing ping-ping-ping and the thing falls off.

11/18/11, 1:19 PM   #7
darnall

That is nothing shy of a work of art....period...I do question the usability of the steering wheel in a dirt open wheel application...I personally move my hands around on the wheel quite a bit in a dirt midget, and many of the in car cameras I see show the driver doing the same..The steering wheel in the pics is probably the nicest looking cockpit component I have ever seen but I would be surprised if we see it in the car beyond Monday hotlaps

11/18/11, 3:10 PM   #8
Seadog

Two dumb questions - Is it legal anywhere else beside the Chili Bowl?

What kind of return on investment is possible with this car?

11/18/11, 3:27 PM   #9
DAD

I think they the better word would be "unobtanium". just wait around for the "triple x" knock-off to get over here.

11/18/11, 3:30 PM   #10
TQ29m

Must have been the challange, I suppose, the cost alone would not be worth the weight saved, plus, one bad or questionable weld, and the deal is done. As far as welding, it's about the same proceedure as used on some aluminum, or stainless welding that has to be certified, takes a lot of argon, and you don't have to be in it, you just run it thru the pipe, or tubing you're welding, and when you're done, the inside looks just like the outside, no burned edges inside. If you're flowing say 18-20 CFM on the outside, you need to run at least that much thru the inside. It's been a long time since I've done it, and with the improvements in tech and equipment, I'm sure it has gotten easier, but I wouldn't look for any such chassis for sale, anywhere soon. Does look nice, and who would want to paint it, anyway? Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Minarik Titanium Midget