IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
12/30/09, 6:33 PM   #1
MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
richie

I was thumbing through some old USAC racing results from the 1997 season and it reminded of back then when I remember two cars with sponsorship/ownership from a couple of Major League Baseball players.

In particular, Baltimore Orioles catcher Chris Hoiles and the #23 driven by Gus Wasson. And also 5-time All-Star pitcher Doug Jones with the #27 sprint and Silver Crown car piloted by Aaron Mosley, Bill Rose, Kevin Thomas.

Can anyone shed some light on the the circumstances on how these two got involved with USAC racing. Hoiles is from Ohio and Jones is from Indiana, so they were in the midst of the racing scene. Did anyone ever see these guys at the racetrack? Were they merely just putting their names on the car with sponsorship money or were they the actual owners of the cars?

I've always wondered about their connection, so any information would be appreciated.
Last edited by richie; 12/30/09 at 6:40 PM.

12/30/09, 6:45 PM   #2
Re: MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
Tim Watson

I have one of those Gus Wasson picture cards and it has Chris Hoiles on it to. I will dig it up and see if any info is on the back.

12/30/09, 7:32 PM   #3
Ovalmeister

It wasn't a USAC involvement but I remember watching Milwaukee Brewers hall of famer Robin Yount in an SCOA winged sprint car. This was on a Tuesday practice night at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix.
Not sure if he actually took part in races but he definately did laps at Manzy. Maybe someone else remembers more details.
David.

12/30/09, 7:48 PM   #4
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
It wasn't a USAC involvement but I remember watching Milwaukee Brewers hall of famer Robin Yount in an SCOA winged sprint car. This was on a Tuesday practice night at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix.
Not sure if he actually took part in races but he definately did laps at Manzy. Maybe someone else remembers more details.
David.
If I remember correctly ex-Major League slugger Rob Deer ran some winged races in Arizona about 10 years ago. That may explain Yount being there (Deer's longest stint with any team was with the Milwaukee Brewers and Yount).

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
12/30/09, 8:16 PM   #5
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Back in the 80s there was a NBA player who would show up at Placerville Ca. He would pay different drive to mud pack thier car . He played for the Kings , he committed killed himself . Cant rememeber his name .

12/30/09, 8:19 PM   #6
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Back in the 80s there was a NBA player who would show up at Placerville Ca. He would pay different drive to mud pack thier car . He played for the Kings , he committed killed himself . Cant rememeber his name .
Ricky Berry?

12/30/09, 8:34 PM   #7
MAXIMHATER

i worked on the car that was owned by chris hoiles and chris grew up in the same town i did.The involement with gus and chris was that chris and gus went to school at the same high school witch was the same hs i went to and chris wanted to help out a local and a friend so chris paid the bills for a few years in usac and then they went down to nascar land and tried that deal but the money ran out with the help of some shady people so i hope that helps you

1 member likes this post: richie
12/30/09, 8:40 PM   #8
B-square

Was it Bill Robinzine? I remember him playing for the Kings and later committing suicide. Not sure.

Brett

12/30/09, 8:54 PM   #9
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Ricky Berry?
YES Thank you Richie .

12/30/09, 9:52 PM   #10
bus man

Doug Jones was from Lebanon In. He got involved in racing from his father, who was a old time racer that ran Jungle Park for many years. His name is Rex Jones. Doug bought a silver crown car in the mid 90s. I was the chief wrench on the car for the three years that they owned it. Kyle Clearwaters

1 member likes this post: richie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams