IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
3/11/09, 10:38 AM   #1
Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
DonMoore10

I recently read on this web site that a regional midget org has announced an open tire policy. I went to their web site and read the press release and here are the particulars. Midget teams can now run a tire brand of their choice anywhere on the race car. Right side tires used for qualification will be stamped and must be used for the feature event.

Well.. this sounds like good news. At least the org is trying to come up with something different than has been the policy of various midget orgs around the country for the last few years.

OK... What's really different about this? Yeah... What's different about it? Well... now I can choose between at least two tire brands. That's a start as I've always felt that competition leads to a better deal. Subway has been pushing the $5 sub and now Quiznio's says they have lowered their prices, so it's working in the fast food world.

So.. What about the racing world? Gosh, I haven't read any press release that the midget tire companies are lowering prices. If you have, would you kindly post it on this thread? Thanks... I'll be waiting!!

I don't know about you, but just about everybody that has investments has lost about half of their account balance to the economic downturn. So.. The new tire policy... What's in it for me to get excited about? Well... Not a whole lot that I can see. Maybe I'm missing something, but If I'm still going to pay $140-180 for tires, regardless of brand, isn't this kind of like somebody telling you that you've won the lottery and you're going to get $10 back? Or ...maybe $5?

How much money am I gonna save for an evening of midget racing with this new tire policy? Well.. It didn't say in the press release that I read. So have we accomplished anything? If the tire prices haven't changed, with the exception of running, maybe, fewer tires for the evening, what is the gain?

Now.. On the flip side, if a midget org came out with the following, I could really get excited:

MIDGET ORG ANNOUNCES NEW TIRE POLICY

###### Midget Racing Assn. announced today that they have a new tire policy. Midget owners will have the choice of running any tire brand they choose, but it must be compatible with the American Racer tires in compound and size that can be purchased for around $80, with the same tire being capable of running multiple events, both on dirt and pavement. An 8 inch wheel must be run on the right rear.

Now.. that particular policy has some bite, no pun intended.

Here are the pluses:

1. I can cut my tire bill, at least, in half. This is huge for car owners.

2. I have the choice of tire brand. We now have competition for business which usually leads to lower prices.

3. Less rubber (tire area) to the ground which will help neutralize some of the engine power.

4. Cars will be narrower, allowing for better side by side racing for the fans.

5. Fans could care less what tire brands, compounds, sizes are being used, as long as they have a good racing experience.

3/11/09, 10:48 AM   #2
Re: Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
Seadog

Getting very sleepy.....sleepy..sleep..:slee...:sleep::O:

3/11/09, 12:06 PM   #3
harms52

I agree! Where's the "smiley beating a dead horse" when you need it.:sleep:

3/11/09, 12:28 PM   #4

If I read that correctly, is Don's new tune that he thinks sanctioning bodies are going to control what AR and Hoosier charge for tires?

God, it gets better and better, each and everyday.

3/11/09, 12:31 PM   #5
DonMoore10

The reading comprehension on IOW is getting worse by the minute. Don't read my posts. Real simple.

3/11/09, 12:42 PM   #6
RacinJason

I agree with the 8" right rear rule. You could make a rule for an 8" wheel. Tire can be any brand and ANY compound with a 10" wide sidewall width. That would make the racing way better. The big motors would be forced to run a harder tire cause they would shred a soft one. Less horsepower cars could run a softer tire and would hook better. This would slow the fast cars down and make the mid pack cars competitive again. This would make a way better show.

Why isn't anyone pushing for this???

Jason

:Steer

3/11/09, 12:42 PM   #7
Shooter311

I am pretty certain that hoosier and american racer produce their tires in a different manor....perhaps making one more expensive than the other. Perhaps someone can correct me but I thought one company makes a synthetic and the other uses a natural rubber?

Either way I'd be willing to bet that most cars will still show up with a hoosier instead of the A/R despite cost in that series. I still see to this day A/R's with alot of stretch (growing stagger) and air blowing out of the sidewall lettering. I haven't heard much of that happening with hoosiers...maybe they're worth the extra money?

3/11/09, 12:50 PM   #8
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
The reading comprehension on IOW is getting worse by the minute. Don't read my posts. Real simple.
Just thinking out loud here...Isn't the whole reason of writing stuff on a message board is to get people to want to read it? Why write it and then say don't read it? That helps nothing.

Don, it isn't always what suject you write about, it's just the fact that you write it over and over in hopes of trying to convince somebody over and over. I say why don't you personally take action as it appears what you are saying seems to be falling on the deaf ears of the movers and shakers in midget racing? Start your on club - you be the mover and shaker and not just a typist.

3/11/09, 1:13 PM   #9
jason

"I don't know about you, but just about everybody that has investments has lost about half of their account balance to the economic downturn. So.. The new tire policy... What's in it for me to get excited about? Well... Not a whole lot that I can see. Don, don't compare a race car with an investment. That would be like me getting upset when they come out with a new set of golf clubs and obsolete old technology Maybe I'm missing something, but If I'm still going to pay $140-180 for tires, regardless of brand, isn't this kind of like somebody telling you that you've won the lottery and you're going to get $10 back? Or ...maybe $5?

How much money am I gonna save for an evening of midget racing with this new tire policy? Well.. It didn't say in the press release that I read. So have we accomplished anything? If the tire prices haven't changed, with the exception of running, maybe, fewer tires for the evening, Don, listent to what you just said - fewer tires for the evening! You have answered your own question. what is the gain?"

Don, it is evident that unless placed on the board of directors of the sanctioning body that you would like to race with and are given full reign on rules that you simply won't be happy running about anywhere.

3/11/09, 1:18 PM   #10
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter311 View Post
I am pretty certain that hoosier and american racer produce their tires in a different manor....perhaps making one more expensive than the other. Perhaps someone can correct me but I thought one company makes a synthetic and the other uses a natural rubber?

Either way I'd be willing to bet that most cars will still show up with a hoosier instead of the A/R despite cost in that series. I still see to this day A/R's with alot of stretch (growing stagger) and air blowing out of the sidewall lettering. I haven't heard much of that happening with hoosiers...maybe they're worth the extra money?
I hate to ruin your day, but I have the purple tires leaking air out the sidewall lettering.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules