IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson - Will we ever see him at Indy for the 500?
5/31/21, 9:01 PM   #1
Kyle Larson - Will we ever see him at Indy for the 500?
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Kyle Larson - Will we ever see him at Indy for the 500?

How long before we see him in this race? What's all your thoughts on this?
Guys got a ton of talent but will sponsors be onboard with this?

He killed the field last night at Charlotte during the Coke-Cola 600.
Last edited by nathans1012; 5/31/21 at 9:03 PM.

5/31/21, 9:34 PM   #2
dsc1600

The sponsors will come back eventually. I think you’ll see Larson at the 500 doing a double in the next 5 years.

5/31/21, 10:24 PM   #3
badcoupe

He just killed it at the burg too! Best driver of the current times I honestly believe

6/1/21, 12:13 AM   #4
Re: Kyle Larson - Will we ever see him at Indy for the 500?
jdull99

Penske would have to get behind him...for the good of the series...and make him an offer he can't refuse/convince Rick Hendrick (if Kyle is still with Rick then)

Record fast 500 ystrdy; seemed there was plenty of time to fly to Charlotte? Still might have to move the start times a little bit tho...AND which one would Kyle REALLY care about it? He has hardly ever talked of the 500 (unless asked)...I have a feeling (& by his tweet Monday), he'd rather be at Kokomo racing sprint cars on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend anyway...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
6/1/21, 1:21 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sure if he brings about five million to the table

2 members like this post: jim goerge, nathans1012
6/1/21, 8:52 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
The sponsors will come back eventually. I think you’ll see Larson at the 500 doing a double in the next 5 years.
That is not necessarily true, If you look at the teams, even a few of the big three are sponsoring their own cars. HAAS, Hendrickscars.com, Roush Oil or motors. The big sponsors are not throwing $$ at a car anymore. Sure they'll get a stickers worth but they've figured out they get more bang out of naming the race or running ten thirty second ads.

Huge difference now than from the 90s You used to see people everywhere wearing Dupont or Goodwrench jackets. Now the tracks have removed half their seating.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/1/21, 11:15 AM   #7
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Sure if he brings about five million to the table
That would be close to getting him a full season with a top team. https://www.autosport.com/nascar/new...81966/5281966/

A guy like Larson would have no issue getting funding for a one-off and it's highly unlikely he would be stepping into a mid pack or worse team or a one-off project, Andretti, as an example, is a team that has continually expanded for this race. I know this isn't going to go down well here, but the fact is that if you are spending money to compete over here a guy that runs nothing but dirt ovals for the most part is not where you are looking, there is plenty of proven talent in RTI, the European ladder, sports cars, etc. with established records and backing and don't have to learn to road race in these cars. The days of waiting for someone to call you are, for the most part, long gone and taking things into your own hands by looking for backing, taking the proper developmental path, etc. is something the Eurocentric drivers have long been ahead of as far as it pertains to their American peers who just truly now making strides in.

The fact is the road to this series and race exists if drivers here truly want to take it, it will just mean having to get out of the comfort zone.

6/1/21, 12:42 PM   #8
jim goerge

Really I could care less about him at Indy, just want to see him at Indiana Midget Week

6/1/21, 12:59 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
That would be close to getting him a full season with a top team. https://www.autosport.com/nascar/new...81966/5281966/

A guy like Larson would have no issue getting funding for a one-off and it's highly unlikely he would be stepping into a mid pack or worse team or a one-off project, Andretti, as an example, is a team that has continually expanded for this race. I know this isn't going to go down well here, but the fact is that if you are spending money to compete over here a guy that runs nothing but dirt ovals for the most part is not where you are looking, there is plenty of proven talent in RTI, the European ladder, sports cars, etc. with established records and backing and don't have to learn to road race in these cars. The days of waiting for someone to call you are, for the most part, long gone and taking things into your own hands by looking for backing, taking the proper developmental path, etc. is something the Eurocentric drivers have long been ahead of as far as it pertains to their American peers who just truly now making strides in.

The fact is the road to this series and race exists if drivers here truly want to take it, it will just mean having to get out of the comfort zone.

Yeah, Just what is Larsons Comfort Zone?
Won, USAC Sprints, Champ Cars and Midgets
Won all three classes four Crown
Won many WoO Sprints
Constantly beats PA posse.
Won All three divisions of Nascar
Won Lucas LM's second race in the car and several other since.
Won 24hrs of Daytona.

Some practice with a good team and I'd put him as a threat to win first time out.

Problem with Indycar The don't wan't a racer They want a robot.
Bunch of Dirt oval racers were doing 230 thirty years ago at Indy.
You seem to think somethings changed that they can't now.

6/1/21, 1:28 PM   #10
Brickyard

Quote:
Yeah, Just what is Larsons Comfort Zone?
Won, USAC Sprints, Champ Cars and Midgets
Won all three classes four Crown
Won many WoO Sprints
Constantly beats PA posse.
Won All three divisions of Nascar
Won Lucas LM's second race in the car and several other since.
Won 24hrs of Daytona.
Apparently you missed the part where I said that Larson would have no issue finding a ride with a top team.

Quote:
Problem with Indycar The don't wan't a racer They want a robot. Bunch of Dirt oval racers were doing 230 thirty years ago at Indy.
You seem to think somethings changed that they can't now.
What the top teams want is someone with experience in rear engine formula cars and/or experience doing more than slinging dirt at Eldora, i.e road/street. It's makes absolutley no sense for a team to go to Lawrenceburg to look the "Next big thing" when they can grab a guy or gal who has driven and won in formulaes and courses that prepare them for what they will encounter for 13 of the 17 events on their calender. It's why Dale Coyne has Romain Grosjean in that car over Kody Swanson, all you have to do is see how Jimmie is fairing on those road and street courses to understand, that series is loaded with talent from top to bottom with racers, not robots, that have been doing their specific skill set since they were in diapers. Not, to mention, for this race the engine lease and cars availble also closes the door, there were just 35 entries, and every part time entry was filled with drivers that had prior experience in these cars.

I guess rather than face the cold hard facts it's just easier to sit back and point fingers at Roger, Chip, etc. as to why the 15 time local track champeen of the world isn't in an IndyCar.
Last edited by Brickyard; 6/1/21 at 1:40 PM.

6 members like this post: 95KART, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, rick42, Tom23, Tony74
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Larson - Will we ever see him at Indy for the 500?