IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
3/11/09, 9:51 PM   #21
Re: Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules
ThrottleHead

Hey Don it looks like only a few people on here can debate your topic on here. The rest are just haters. I would not even give their bashing posts any credibility with a response.

Cutting expenses in racing is a subject that's always worthy of serious discussion. If this subject had been brought up by anyone other than you it would be discussed on merits. You can't win for losing......

Keep up the good fight!!

Don Gilbert..... NOT a Don Moore hater!!!

3/12/09, 1:23 AM   #22
carrytheleftfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I hate to ruin your day, but I have the purple tires leaking air out the sidewall lettering.
Well how about you go run that series with your crappy @$$ "Red" Label tires. Now that you have a series to race in go and spend some time in your shop getting your cars ready and quit your b!tc*ing on here.

Crap... I hate it when I post off topic. DM:moon:

3/12/09, 6:18 AM   #23
dirtywhiteboy

If opening the tire rule up to running whatever tire you feel is better at a given track and mandating those tires are used all night (baring damage to the tire due to a wreck or them getting shredded by debris) I am all for it.

To the haters, debate the topic at hand and keep you personal thoughts on Don to yourself or PM them amoungst yourselves, please.

Proud Don Moore supporter. Keep up the good work you do :thumb

3/12/09, 8:03 AM   #24
Knoke77

Quote:
Originally Posted by harms52 View Post
I agree! Where's the "smiley beating a dead horse" when you need it.:sleep:
You rang???

Now back to your regularly scheduled fighting.... :angry-smiley-007:

3/12/09, 8:41 AM   #25
curly

DOn is one of those guys who gets up in the morning and goes awe crap still breathing!!! Well i must be happy today so i will find anything and everything to bi**h about!!!! I bet DON is waiting for the music industry to bring back the ole 45's records because CDs drove up the cost of music!!!!!! :applaud::O::O:
Last edited by curly; 3/12/09 at 8:44 AM.

3/12/09, 11:49 AM   #26
Jonr

Several thoughts on the subject:

1. I am not convinced that open tire rules don't raise the cost of racing. Have you ever seen the tires that the Late Model guys cary around? Tire A for a heavy track, Tire B for a dry slick track, Tire C for an average track. I can see the midget guys doing the same. Purple tire for this track, AR for that track. Now the tire bill has gone up.

2. Supply and demand drive the price of the tire. Not the sanction bodies.

3. Spec tires and cost control have a place in this sport. However, people do not want their options limited. The odds of USAC or Powri going to a spec tire are remote, and I am not sure that I want the national series to have spec tires. However, it makes great sense for all of the smaller regional seires. However, now the regional guys can no longer run with the national series.

4. Has anyone ever noticed that there are two types of people in Don Moore's world. People that agree with him, and the idiots that are off topic and can't read. How you can have a debate when you won't listen to anyone else's point of view?

3/12/09, 11:52 AM   #27
jjones776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
4. Has anyone ever noticed that there are two types of people in Don Moore's world. People that agree with him, and the idiots that are off topic and can't read. How you can have a debate when you won't listen to anyone else's point of view?

i have. you hit the nail on the head. :thumb

3/12/09, 1:03 PM   #28
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Several thoughts on the subject:

1. I am not convinced that open tire rules don't raise the cost of racing. Have you ever seen the tires that the Late Model guys cary around? Tire A for a heavy track, Tire B for a dry slick track, Tire C for an average track. I can see the midget guys doing the same. Purple tire for this track, AR for that track. Now the tire bill has gone up. The odds of USAC or Powri going to a spec tire are remote, and I am not sure that I want the national series to have spec tires.
There is a very simple solution to your argument, and thanks for being one of the few in this thread that has the intelligence to post something worthwhile. Adopt the around $80 American Racer tire compound/type and allow Hoosier or any other tire company to make the same tire. The original tire of this variety was the Mickey Thompson tire. The rights to the MT tire were bought up by Summit Racing. Apparently they decided not to make the tire and American Racer is now making a copy of it. Purple tire or any other company would have to sell the tire at around the same price to stay competitive. This tire is already being successfully used by one midget org. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO THE FANS WHAT TIRES ARE BEING USED IN COMPETITION. Greed is in the way of progress here to cut the tire cost dramatically. It's not the fans, it's not the car owners, it's not the drivers.. it's the midget orgs with their greed that is the problem. This tire is universal for both pavement and dirt, BTW. This is sensible solution that can be implemented immediately to reduce the cost of midget racing.

Almost all the midget orgs in the country already have a spec tire rule for all four corners. For example, the right rear must be a purple SP2, 3 or 4 at the cost of $140+ and some teams use up a couple in an evening. the $80 tire can be run on multiple surfaces and, according to some, can be run for an entire season+. It makes absolutely no sense to me why we are forced to pay $140+ for several tires an evening when this tire is available for $80. And recently I bought a tire for my trailer for $56. So what's with the $140-180 price tag? ***
Last edited by DonMoore10; 3/12/09 at 1:09 PM.

3/12/09, 1:30 PM   #29
DonMoore10

TIRE DEALS, SHOE DEALS..Read this about college coaches!!!

Bestow blame, or credit, on the Maryland or North Carolina teams of the early'70s. The Terps debuted red canvas Converse sneakers. UNC donned a baby blue model.

For the first time, fans -- consumers -- began noticing college players' footwear. Before then, inconspicuous white or black were the only sneakers options. TV coverage of college games increased. Adolescents in the Washington area wanted red Chuck Taylors, like Maryland's. Kids in North Carolina searched for blue shoes.

Converse benefited. Adidas and Nike came along, as did Pro-Keds, Puma, Reebok and a slew of other start-up companies trying to snag a slice of the exploding market. They made contracts with college coaches, paying them to ensure college teams would wear a specific brand of shoe.

The more TV time your program is going to get, the more the shoe company wants you in their shoes," said a former Division I player in the state.

The term "Shoe Wars" was born to describe the competition among sneakers makers that's been going on now for three decades. The victors? The college coaches.

Depending on a program's position in Division I basketball's food chain, coaches can annually make six- or seven-figure checks in addition to salaries and other perks simply by mandating that their players wear a particular brand of gym shoe. A handful of coaches make more on their shoe deals than they do from their universities.

Some coaches' allegiance is dictated by relationships they have with representatives of the shoe companies. Other coaches go for the fattest payday available.

The return on this investment for Nike, adidas or their competitors: A style becomes popular among boys and girls. Product moves off store shelves.

"Trust me, Nike and adidas don't spend all of this money cause they're stupid," said John Averett, a former high-school coach in the state, an ex-assistant at the University of Richmond, and for 21 years an employee of Converse (sales and promotions).

In the'90s, when Rick Barnes coached at Clemson and Eddie Fogler was at South Carolina, the Tigers and Gamecocks wore Converse. That, not by coincidence in the view of Averett, was the most popular brand worn by South Carolina high-school teams during that decade.

Shoe companies got product exposure. Coaches got the checks. Players got several pairs of free shoes per year, in addition to other gear.

Up until the mid-'80s, most Division I coaches could count on a piece of the pie. Even at a school such as William and Mary, the coach would receive $5,000 from a shoe maker to assure the Tribe wore that company's product. No longer is that the case. Shoe companies still spend huge money in nationwide promotional campaigns in college basketball, but the coaches at top programs are making almost all of it.

Coaches from college basketball's top-level leagues regularly make $100,000 to $1 million a year off shoe contracts. What if a player would prefer to compete in another brand? Tough, in most cases. Everybody on the team, at least the high-profile teams, wears the same make, per coach's orders.

Most coaches at schools that don't belong to prime-time leagues no longer receive income from shoe companies. The University of Richmond's Jerry Wainwright and Virginia Commonwealth's Jeff Capel, for instance, say they receive no financial compensation from any shoe company. But they get free products - shoes as well as warm-up suits, bags, etc. - for themselves, staff members and players.

3/12/09, 2:43 PM   #30
LEADERS EDGE

Since I haven't used the tires I may have this wrong, but aren't the American Racer tires that are used in the IRS series the Mini-Mod/Dwarf car tires?

Mike Fulper's All Star Club used the same tire for a few years.

The IRS cars at Sun Prarie are about 1-1.5 Seconds slower than the Reg. Show. Of course the motors are restricted as well, so I don't know the real speed difference in the tires. I do know that Don would not have been happy to have been more regulated after winning a few races like some of the guys were after some of the dirt shows last year. Some of the guys had to run different air pressure than the others to even up the competition.

I have no idea what the price to make a tire costs and I have to say that I felt it was pretty much a joke when they built the Hoosier rear Focus tire and sold it for $95ea. but still charged $120 plus for the fronts. Hoosier has to make money off of racing to be profitable.

Me personally, while I think the tire deal should be tweeked, I would lose interest very quickly if they went to the Dwarf car style tire. While I believe the IRS series has it's place, and I have watched them run a few times at Illiana when they where on Mickey Thompson's and with other shows, I personally wouldn't want to either watch them on a regular basis or go race with them on a regular basis. Good guys and alright racing, but to me it's not the same.

When Bill started running his own car in the 70's, there where already dirt and pavement tires, but you could get many shows out of the tires and obviously the same car was used on dirt and pavement. That stayed pretty much true until around '86 for the tires and around '93 for the cars. Sure the racing was cheaper for the owner, but I personally don't feel it was better racing than we have today.
I think the specialized cars and tires help make the racing better today. I personally don't want to go back to the days of dirt/pavement combo tires, but I'm sure a little better compound could be made for longevity. I would also like to see the tires stamped before hot laps.

Don't get me wrong, I saw many great races in the '70's, but I have seen many great races over the last 10-15 yrs. as well. Dirt and Pavement.

Of course we are dealing with a situation where the tire sponsor has to make money from the series because racing is where they make their money. In that situation the company is going to attempt to make a profit.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 3/12/09 at 2:49 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Org Announces New Tire Rules