IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Mile
10/5/22, 11:27 AM   #1
Indy Mile
cmakin

A question. We all know that the Indy Mile was repaved for harness racing. Since I am not up there all of the time, what is the status of harness racing there now?

3 members like this post: flagboy55, kcarm92, tirespinner
10/5/22, 11:42 AM   #2
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I don’t think any actual horse races are held. That place has puzzled me for a long time. At one time about 15-18 years ago they wasted a ton of money on a new wall and fence down the back straightaway. No idea why they thought that necessary. In recent years when races have been held, there are about 150 security employees on hand. Why? Springfield and Du Quoin have virtually none on duty. Another total waste of money. There was already a 1/2 mile limestone horse track on the inside of the mile, so why ruin the mile? I’ve heard the horse people didn’t even want them to do it. Very weird fair board if you ask me.
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 10/5/22 at 11:43 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld
10/5/22, 11:51 AM   #3
Re: Indy Mile
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I don’t think any actual horse races are held. That place has puzzled me for a long time. At one time about 15-18 years ago they wasted a ton of money on a new wall and fence down the back straightaway. No idea why they thought that necessary. In recent years when races have been held, there are about 150 security employees on hand. Why? Springfield and Du Quoin have virtually none on duty. Another total waste of money. There was already a 1/2 mile limestone horse track on the inside of the mile, so why ruin the mile? I’ve heard the horse people didn’t even want them to do it. Very weird fair board if you ask me.

It's already done

10/5/22, 1:47 PM   #4
Pancho Stapp

This subject still pi$$e$ me off whenever it is brought up or i happen to think about it. What memories i have there i will cherish them forever. My dad took me there growing up and it was always a treat. Man i miss going there, something about those long a$$ straight’s and sweeping corners was a sight to see. Damn shame it just sitting idle.

7 members like this post: chrismattlin, DaveP63, flagboy55, LB, oppweld, Speedwrench, tirespinner
10/5/22, 1:58 PM   #5
nodramazone20

Simple....Fair Board came up with an excuse and ran the racing out of town..so to speak....same thing will probably happen in Terre Haute.....Race fans are being lied to.....FACT

10/5/22, 4:20 PM   #6
TQ97

I dealt with the fair board there for a couple of years as I was on the board and then the President of Mini Indy, the qm track just outside turn 2 of the mile. IMO the narrative from the fair board changed after the concert tragedy. It was like something switched where it became about making more money - perhaps to pay for the lawsuit from the concert. Our lease was incredibly favorable and friendly for years, and the year after I was President, they started doing things like charging for plugging into their electrical around the track, put up a huge pole barn in some of our prime parking space without any warning or notification, and just became less friendly in general.

They put the limestone down as a way to have additional parking they can charge for. I have no idea how they don’t have enough parking already but…. For those unaware, they’ve also ended the lease of the qm track effective at the end of this year as they are going to use that land for other purposes.

I occasionally go to a Fuel hockey game but I’ll try and not go this year. They are moving to a new arena in Fishers next year I believe. And at that point, I’ll never support anything at the state fairgrounds ever again.

10/5/22, 4:34 PM   #7
Pancho Stapp

Thanks for your input TQ nice to get a little info from someone in the know. We have attended a couple RV/Boat shows there but other than that we never attend the fair. The racing is really the only thing that mattered to us so i am like you we won’t be spending any money there.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, tirespinner
10/6/22, 6:23 AM   #8
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ97 View Post
I occasionally go to a Fuel hockey game but I’ll try and not go this year. They are moving to a new arena in Fishers next year I believe. And at that point, I’ll never support anything at the state fairgrounds ever again.
As a Fuel fan also. The new arena is two years out.

2 members like this post: DaveP63, TQ97
10/6/22, 7:06 AM   #9
Hubie48

Life long resident of Indianapolis. Lets face it folks, that part of town is flat out dangerous. It is a corridor for vice. They should outlaw bank machines at gas stations and that would help out some. 38th and Fall Creek has had multiple gun violence in just this past year.

I knew of a company that maintained the Mile in the 1970's. Dawson Construction. They were huge old time money as they once owned all the land north of Broad Ripple. These were old time Indianapolis folks who also loved racing. They were friends with the Hulman family. It has taken a few decades but once Tony was gone the sense of community was also gone.

The Hoosier 100 was the sheet back in the day. It all ebbed away....... once the points structure changed. Like it or not, this is a fact.

We don't race horses in Indiana, We race cars!

7 members like this post: DaveP63, jdull99, Pancho Stapp, rimrider69, ROSCO, tirespinner, TQ97
10/6/22, 7:45 AM   #10
TQ97

It is a dangerous area. We used to sit around our campers after the qm races at night, and you’d hear gunshots in nearby neighborhoods. We used to joke that the chain link fences were bullet proof to make ourselves feel better.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Mile