IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad
8/22/22, 10:38 PM   #11
Re: Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTipover View Post
It's past time this series ran at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. 33 cars 3 abreast start. There are plenty of cars out there now to make this happen.
C'mon man. You really don't know what you're are saying do you? All because of some nostalgic notion. The whole motorsports world has moved on except for a few and we all know who they are. The ones that

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jonr, OnTheHammer, tirespinner
8/23/22, 7:26 AM   #12
miledirt

For people talking about the crowd. Put that same Gateway crowd in the stands at Terre Haute and it would have looked massive

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, luckybuc97, tirespinner
8/23/22, 7:33 AM   #13
DaleDuBois

Back in the day USAC ran only 1/2-mile tracks with sprint cars. I remember going to Terre Haute in the fifties and early sixties, maybe 15 or 20 sprint cars showed up to race. People thought they were seeing great racing till USAC started running the 1/4-mile bullrings. Watching sprint cars race on big, paved tracks sort of went away as there was not much side by side racing. Now even the mile dirt tracks do not get big crowds. Even in the last few years I've never seen full houses at the Terre Haute track, it is not the promoter's fault, it's just that people want to see some action like side-by-side racing and slide jobs. It is mostly the sign of the times.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/23/22, 8:56 AM   #14
ThrowbackRacingTeam

If it isn’t sprint cars on 1/4 miles most people on here hate it. Terre Haute is practically in Illinois so most fans on this site only know one thing, quarter mile racing. Fortunately, I grew up going to everything on all different sized tracks and appreciate the variety and what makes each style unique. Your poll question would be better answered on the silver crown FB page.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, flagboy55, jdull99, Puppy
8/23/22, 10:04 AM   #15
D Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
For people talking about the crowd. Put that same Gateway crowd in the stands at Terre Haute and it would have looked massive
same for Madison, Winchester, or Toledo

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, tirespinner
8/23/22, 11:44 AM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vookie View Post
A nice eastern swing for the pavement Silver Crown cars; Oswego, Thompson Speedway and Stafford Springs.
Oh, that was just a suggestion.....
I immediately went to USAC website to check the schedule for these tracks close to me.... oh well

3 members like this post: Puppy, tirespinner, TNRustler
8/23/22, 12:22 PM   #17
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 85

My wife and I attended the Gateway race and enjoyed the race. As is a normal 100 mile or 100 lap Silver Crown race the first third was very good, the middle was riding and the last third had some good charges and performances by Davey Hamilton Jr., Nathan Byrd and Mario Clouser even though the field was pared down at the end. It was good for USAC and the drivers to get the exposure in front of the Indy set and maybe open some eyes to drivers like Kody Swanson, Bobby Santos III and others. Don't know if a 1.25 mile oval is too big for Silver Crown or not but the speeds (175 mph on straights) is scary. Enjoyed the race but don't know if we would return. Would like to see both segments of the Silver Crown series run on tracks between a half mile up to a mile. The SC race at Port Royal this year on the half mile was fabulous!!

As far as the crowd the grandstands are huge and people spread out pretty good but we would say several thousands were in attendance and any short track would like to have the crowd that they had Friday night at Gateway.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

8/23/22, 4:36 PM   #18
Bostonian

I'm beginning to think I'm bringing BS III bad luck. I purchased FloRacing this year. In every race that I've watched, he's either had issues or DNF. When I don't watch he wins or finishes top 5. I'll have to include a check in his Christmas card this year.

8/23/22, 10:28 PM   #19
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
For me it served as a good reason to go do something else other than watch racing.
It wasn't THAT bad, man!

8/23/22, 10:31 PM   #20
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I did notice that Chet and Pat talked about action we never saw on TV, but that happens.
Like them or not, they were bumbling boobs this round. My favorite part was right off the bat when they were noting that the SC cars have to start on their own, with their clutches and trannies, for the initial leaving of pit road.

As they were stumbling, fumbling, and bumbling, two or the cars were being pushed off by pit crew members.

WHAT were they WATCHING?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad