IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks T-Mez
2/20/22, 12:46 PM   #21
Re: Thanks T-Mez
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Born and bred Hoosier who moved to FL in 1984. I can assure you that anything north of Tampa in February is dicey on winter temps. Too bad Punta Gorda is pavement.
How about Hendry County? It’s in the middle of nowhere about an hour east of Fort Myers. They have USCS races there so maybe they would be willing to run some other sprint shows. The surface looks pretty worn out but the configuration reminds me a little of North Vernon. They tout themselves as the southernmost dirt track in the US.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/20/22, 1:41 PM   #22
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
How about Hendry County? It’s in the middle of nowhere about an hour east of Fort Myers. They have USCS races there so maybe they would be willing to run some other sprint shows. The surface looks pretty worn out but the configuration reminds me a little of North Vernon. They tout themselves as the southernmost dirt track in the US.
The guy that owns the track is an awesome guy and promoter ,however there’s no way that track could support a USAC race.on a side note if it could ,you would be treated like royalty by the promoter,when you race there he comes around and shakes your hand every time you show up, and it’s not just lip service!

4 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, oppweld, tirespinner
2/20/22, 2:14 PM   #23
Racer541

I went to Bubba for USAC events 4 or 5 years ago and loved every minute of it, it was my first ever non-wing show. This year I watched on the web and it looked similar to me, a good bit of passing and shuffling. Maybe the difference is I'm from the south and I'm use to dry/slick 1 groove tracks, nature of the beast. I realize Bubba isn't Kokomo or Petaluma, but it has its place. I for one like Bubba better with non-wing sprints than Late Models, which are what I'm use to. The DLM's are too wide(IMHO) to put on much of a show at Bubba, but the non-wing sprints I enjoy there. No it doesn't have a big cushion to lean on and no its not heavy and hammer down, but it does require skill and patience to get around. T-Mez is one of my top 5 favorite drivers(Grant, Ballou, Bacon and Robert Bell) being the rest, but maybe he was frustrated with poor qualifying results. Anyway I guess Bubba is an acquired taste, I get the same arguments from DLM fans from up north, they want every track to be Fairbury. I enjoy seeing the 410's stretch their legs as much as anyone, but I can also appreciate watching a driver with delicate car control and smooth on the fuel too.

2/20/22, 5:51 PM   #24
Thanks T-Mez'!!
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
Love his honest interviews Bubba's is never very racey. I wish they could find a better track. JMO you know only When the winner says the track is bad as usaul only the front 2 rows will have a chance.
'cept TDThorson!!..Sat. Nites "HARD CHARGER"!!..think was.. 17th ta 2nd!!

5 members like this post: Boss Hogg, BrentTFunk, interpreter66, luckybuc97, tirespinner
2/20/22, 9:07 PM   #25
EldoraMark

I was down for 3 weeks at 3 tracks. Volusia, All Tech, Bubba. Seen late models, wing sprints, midgets, and sprints. All 3 tracks had bad nights as far as track condition, All 3 also had good tracks. It's dirt and it changes with the wind. Volusia charges $25 a night to camp and races were $38 to 42 a night. All Tech was $20 a night to camp and $40 for races. Bubba was free camping and $30 and $35 a night. I like Bubba track for the fact it's mnot a 1/2 mile track. There was rumors that Bubba was selling the track to a late model driver. I ask Bubba about this and he said that the track was for sale but not to the driver we were told. Bubba said he was contacted by a representative of Amazon to aquire the land. I hope it does not sell to them.

2/21/22, 10:44 AM   #26
Racer541

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
... Bubba said he was contacted by a representative of Amazon to aquire the land. I hope it does not sell to them.
That would terrible, I hate Amazon(Globalist Arse's)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/21/22, 12:33 PM   #27
BrentTFunk

I have been to Ocala maybe a dozen times. Like all tracks some nights its better than others. One think I like about it is the track is shaped different. I don't want all tracks to be the same. Same with the surface. I like that it is challenging for drivers and teams.

2/21/22, 1:24 PM   #28
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I have been to Ocala maybe a dozen times. Like all tracks some nights its better than others. One think I like about it is the track is shaped different. I don't want all tracks to be the same. Same with the surface. I like that it is challenging for drivers and teams.
That is an interesting take. I went to the first night of the midgets at Ocala this year. It seemed to me that there really isn't a good line through 3 and 4 only lines that suck less than the others. It seemed to much of a "gimmick" for me. I think that all of the heat race winners mentioned learning how to get through 3 and 4 in their on track interview.

I also enjoy going to different types of tracks for different experiences, but the shape of Ocala is too much for me.
Last edited by Jonr; 2/21/22 at 1:25 PM. Reason: grammar

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
2/21/22, 2:23 PM   #29
ISF

We've attended at least 15 events at Bubba and have seen some extremely good racing there, and as is the case at most any track, some not so great racing. Weather took it's toll on at least 3 of the 5 USAC events. Saturday night of sprint weekend all the toilets were rendered unusable due to an equipment malfunction of some sort and there were only 2 ports-potties to take up the slack. THAT wasn't pleasant, especially for the ladies in attendance. Friday night of sprint car weekend we arrived back our place in Daytona at 3:05 AM but that was due to weather. Those are situations that can't be predicted or easily and conveniently remedied. The racing is, as often as not, above average so I reckon we can expect the status quo in the years to come.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
2/21/22, 4:13 PM   #30
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Hendry County is not an option. It is much too sandy hence their new t-shirt touting "The Fastest Sandpit In the South". If people are complaining about Bubba Raceway Park surface this would be worse.

Southern Raceway is too far north and west to be an option in February as it would be too cold. I spoke with someone at East Bay and they said that the company that bought East Bay has something that was delayed and East Bay will be able to race in 2024 which would give them another year. The problem with East Bay is that their schedule is packed already and unless they turn someone else away there is no room at the inn so to speak.

North Florida and All-Tech are possible options but are further north and would not draw the speedweek crowd. As mentioned North Florida needs a lot of work and All-Tech has a tendency to get black and slick and that is not the type of surface I want to watch them on and it is big (1/2 mile) so others may not want to run that big of a track.

The track in Putnam County is probably not an option as the surface is not that good and facility is not big enough to handle an USAC show.

Just giving my impressions on the current Florida situation and do not have any answers but that the same time I am trying to be honest and not bash any track in the process.

The only option would be a new dirt track to be built and I don't or hear from anyone on that happening.

Bruce Eckel

5 members like this post: Boss Hogg, BrentTFunk, interpreter66, Oleman61x, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thanks T-Mez