IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
12/5/21, 5:28 PM   #11
captrat

In any sport when you are perceived as second tier or a feeder system for another level you will never achieve the market recognition for participants or sponsorship needed to advance your product. I enjoy minor league baseball but fully understand its limitations. More years ago than I would to admit I penned what was probably the longest letter ever published in NSSN. The gist being that the WoO were going to eat USAC's lunch and in terms of recognition and economics that has come to pass. Inconsistent leadership, lack of vision over many years are impossible to overcome even if you have a superior product.

12/5/21, 5:50 PM   #12
Re: Windom
revjimk

Let me be the umpteenth person to say USAC needs to up its purses & point fund
I know, "easy for me to say"
But it sucks....

4 members like this post: Big Mike 7, bighd0522, chrismattlin, rmr6nm
12/5/21, 5:54 PM   #13
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
In any sport when you are perceived as second tier or a feeder system for another level you will never achieve the market recognition for participants or sponsorship needed to advance your product. I enjoy minor league baseball but fully understand its limitations. More years ago than I would to admit I penned what was probably the longest letter ever published in NSSN. The gist being that the WoO were going to eat USAC's lunch and in terms of recognition and economics that has come to pass. Inconsistent leadership, lack of vision over many years are impossible to overcome even if you have a superior product.
This is a spot on assessment. Sad but true.

2 members like this post: tirespinner, TNRustler
12/5/21, 5:58 PM   #14
revjimk

"Hopefully Pursley will recover quick"
I hope so too, but I doubt if it will be quick
Serious injuries

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
12/5/21, 8:36 PM   #15
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
Not doubting this news about Windom and KTJ going wing racing, but anyone have any other links or stories on this?
Wondering the same thing. I haven't seen big daddy's interview, will he remain with the same team, will he run a series or pick and choose? The same for KTJ? It seems like money and winged sprint cars are what entices drivers to leave usac but we all know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I wish usac would just lose focus on a few superficial things to maybe increase the value of their core products.
Last edited by jonboat15; 12/5/21 at 8:39 PM.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
12/5/21, 11:23 PM   #16
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Let me be the umpteenth person to say USAC needs to up its purses & point fund
I know, "easy for me to say"
But it sucks....
Most on here already complain about USAC admission prices that promotors charge. If they raise the purse cost to the promotor the gate price will have to go up. I don't mind paying $35-$40, like an Outlaw show, to see a USAC show if the purse is increased however most here heads would explode if they did that.

As I have said many times ... for the USAC purse to go up the first thing that has to happen is the series drivers have to quit showing up at local non-sanctioned shows.

Even if they did raise the purses and point funds where are the new owners and drivers coming from? If promotors nationwide already will not book a USAC race at the current cost why would they look at a higher purse and suddenly say yes?

The Outlaws have an established brand nationwide thanks to the vision years ago of Ted Johnson. USAC is still trying to recover from the tragic plane crash of that same time frame.

One has to wonder would someone like say Tony Stewart buying the sprint car part of USAC make non-wing sprint racing more popular outside of Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern California. Would anyone even want to try? We have already had a midget series owner state that his goal was to put USAC out of business. It did seem to make the USAC Midget division stronger so we can thank him for that.

And to answer the original question in this thread. Yes I believe Chris is still going to be driving for Brodie Heyward with a wing and the backing of NOS Energy.

12/6/21, 2:40 AM   #17
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Most on here already complain about USAC admission prices that promotors charge. If they raise the purse cost to the promotor the gate price will have to go up. I don't mind paying $35-$40, like an Outlaw show, to see a USAC show if the purse is increased however most here heads would explode if they did that.

As I have said many times ... for the USAC purse to go up the first thing that has to happen is the series drivers have to quit showing up at local non-sanctioned shows.

Even if they did raise the purses and point funds where are the new owners and drivers coming from? If promotors nationwide already will not book a USAC race at the current cost why would they look at a higher purse and suddenly say yes?

The Outlaws have an established brand nationwide thanks to the vision years ago of Ted Johnson. USAC is still trying to recover from the tragic plane crash of that same time frame.

One has to wonder would someone like say Tony Stewart buying the sprint car part of USAC make non-wing sprint racing more popular outside of Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern California. Would anyone even want to try? We have already had a midget series owner state that his goal was to put USAC out of business. It did seem to make the USAC Midget division stronger so we can thank him for that.

And to answer the original question in this thread. Yes I believe Chris is still going to be driving for Brodie Heyward with a wing and the backing of NOS Energy.
Even if someone like Tony WERE interested in buying the sprint car part of USAC, I doubt very much that it would be for sale... Besides, Tony has his mind on OTHER THINGS these days.....

12/6/21, 7:40 AM   #18
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post

USAC could raise the purse if they lowered the salaries of some of their personnel. Look up their financial reports and see how much the top dogs are making there.

12/6/21, 9:53 AM   #19
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
Even if someone like Tony WERE interested in buying the sprint car part of USAC, I doubt very much that it would be for sale... Besides, Tony has his mind on OTHER THINGS these days.....
It was a hypothetical question with some sarcasm thrown in. Guess I should have used blue font, which is used on most forums for that reason, to make some realize that. I know it's not for sale ... Duh

12/6/21, 10:33 AM   #20
Pitdad

Ironic. 40+ years ago, the World of Outlaws forms because USAC wouldn’t allow it’s licensed members to compete in non-sanctioned events. Fast forward to today, and it’s the WoO that’s controlling it’s drivers and preventing them from competing in shows within an X mile radius of their shows (to protect their brand), and it’s USAC that has the problem with drivers giving it away at local (unsanctioned) shows.

4 members like this post: dkdorkboy, Ken Bonnema, rick42, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom