IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500
5/31/21, 8:58 AM   #11
Re: 500
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan View Post
It makes me sick that after the race today we finish out the year with road courts races. Indy is missing a huge opportunity to take the lead in Motorsports with oval racing with how boring NASCAR is right now. If they would head to Kentucky next weekend and keep on the oval tracks their ratings would explode. Why won’t they do it.
Couldn't agree more. The 500 was stellar yesterday, Charlotte was an absolute snoozer. (but I'm glad Kyle won )

5/31/21, 10:41 AM   #12
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Great Race today! The 500 rarely disappoints!
One question why does NBC have NASCAr guys on the broadcast? I understand Jimmie cause he shares a ride with TK. But Steve Latarte? I dont get it. Dale JR?
The Nascar boys added more value than the ex-Nascar girl.

5/31/21, 4:58 PM   #13
Brickyard

Quote:
It makes me sick that after the race today we finish out the year with road courts races. Indy is missing a huge opportunity to take the lead in Motorsports with oval racing with how boring NASCAR is right now. If they would head to Kentucky next weekend and keep on the oval tracks their ratings would explode. Why won’t they do it.
If they went to Kentucky next weekend it would probably be attended by 15 people. That's why. Outside Indianapolis and Gateway, not enough people show up for the both track and the series to justify them. People show up to Road America, Mid-Ohio, St. Pete, Long Beach, Portland and until they get can get the series back to at least some level of popularity pre 1996 temper tantrum it's going to be a tough thing to do. Like I've said before, you gots to see Hewitt and da' King layin' all out on da' line for glory against the likes of Racin Garnder and Jack the Teeth Miller, was the phyrric victory worth it?

2 members like this post: Rich Mersereau, Tom23
5/31/21, 6:03 PM   #14
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
If they went to Kentucky next weekend it would probably be attended by 15 people. That's why. Outside Indianapolis and Gateway, not enough people show up for the both track and the series to justify them. People show up to Road America, Mid-Ohio, St. Pete, Long Beach, Portland and until they get can get the series back to at least some level of popularity pre 1996 temper tantrum it's going to be a tough thing to do. Like I've said before, you gots to see Hewitt and da' King layin' all out on da' line for glory against the likes of Racin Garnder and Jack the Teeth Miller, was the phyrric victory worth it?
Wow, you make a legitimate point and then cannot keep from insulting others. Either find a way to make your point without coming off as biased buffoon or just go away. Road & Track will probably print your comments.

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, ISF, jim goerge, Midget98
5/31/21, 6:19 PM   #15
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Wow, you make a legitimate point and then cannot keep from insulting others. Either find a way to make your point without coming off as biased buffoon or just go away. Road & Track will probably print your comments.
Truth sucks, not sorry one bit you can't handle it.

5/31/21, 6:50 PM   #16
Puppy

Quote:
Hasn't anyone been following along??? The FANS don't show up at KY, Mi, Ca, Phe, ect... If open wheel fans want to see IndyCar racing at these places they have to SHOW UP!!!

7 members like this post: 95KART, BrentTFunk, jdull99, jim goerge, PIT CART, rick42, Tom23
5/31/21, 6:56 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I watched but there is no connection in racing to me the 500 holds anymore. If Swanson, Santos, Bacon,Courtney, Larson, Bell, Newman and a handful of other short trackers were there. I'd be interested.

Spectacle? Well, For some I guess, Give me any night of midget week or sprint week. I'll feel like it's the biggest race in the world.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/31/21 at 6:57 PM.

4 members like this post: 95KART, Daisy's dad, Hustlin-Hoosier, jim goerge
5/31/21, 7:24 PM   #18
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
Hasn't anyone been following along??? The FANS don't show up at KY, Mi, Ca, Phe, ect... If open wheel fans want to see IndyCar racing at these places they have to SHOW UP!!!
This is the answer without a doubt. If promoters could make money at an oval they would go there. The promoters of the past would book these tracks with visions of the attendance being at near sell out levels like the 500. Instead of near 100% attendance, they are lucky to get 20% attendance and they lose money. When promoters lose money year over year, they no longer book the events.

5/31/21, 7:44 PM   #19
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

we went to the last race at Chicagoland. it was incredibly good, but like allot of oval races you could tell when you got close to the track because the traffic gets thinner Look at the last Texas race, YIKES

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
5/31/21, 10:30 PM   #20
duel

Great day. As for the ovals. They were not promoted properly I believe. I went to Chicago and Kentucky and the racing was over the top. I thought the crowds were decent in the IRL days. I remember Texas had big crowds at 1st. Congrats to Hello! #4

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 500