IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #1 10/13/23 8:21 PM
Another iconic speedway has announced it’s closing. Devil’s Bowl Speedway announced this morning that next weekends WoO programs will be its last nights of racing. The property has been sold and will be closed.

Such a shame!
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, interpreter66, mlamb
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #2 10/13/23 8:31 PM
One thing that terrible situation is missing will be the perspective of the late Bobby Marshall. Nobody was any more synonymous with Devil’s Bowl Speedway than this great driver and beloved racing social media personality.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
9 Likes: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, flagboy55, luckybuc97, mc/rider, mlamb, opnwhlmnd, oppweld, Vookie
mlamb (Offline)
  #3 10/13/23 9:29 PM
Late 80s thru mid 90s I used to make two trips annually to Devils Bowl Speedway. Always started the racing year at the WoO Spring Ntls in March and ended the year at their WoO Winter Ntls in October. These events used to always draw 50+ cars.
Three names will always be synonymous with Devils Bowl Speedway IMO, the late great Lanny Edwards, Ted Johnson and Jack Miller.
I’d met lots of great racing friends and had many lifetime memories at the Mesquite speed plant. Like I-30 speedway, Devils Bowl thanks for the memories .
3 Likes: flagboy55, Jerry Shaw, oppweld
Terry Porter (Offline)
  #4 10/14/23 1:04 PM
Well that sucks. I’ve been going to the bowl since before the WoO existed. I will say over the last few years the racing hasn’t been good, but still made it out every year for some of the races.
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, erich45, flagboy55, luckybuc97, mlamb, oppweld
oppweld (Offline)
  #5 10/14/23 2:36 PM
I worked security there during the 2000 season. Hate to these historic tracks go by the wayside.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, mlamb
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #6 10/14/23 5:28 PM
I’ve been wanting to go there just because I’ve never been. Pretty good chance I hop on my bike & ride down next week
5 Likes: azsprintfan1, BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #7 10/17/23 5:35 PM
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1:
Another iconic speedway has announced it’s closing. Devil’s Bowl Speedway announced this morning that next weekends WoO programs will be its last nights of racing. The property has been sold and will be closed.

Such a shame!
Had heard the rumors since last year but it finally is taking place. We never made it down there as we tried with USAC twice but both trips were washed out. It is a shame!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, erich45, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #8 10/17/23 6:17 PM
Was lucky enough to get there in the 90's. The clay reminded of the gray modeling clay we had in kindergarten. Race tracks need us. Support all of them when you can. I guarantee you the people who complained about the place the most, will be the ones who complain they miss it.
3 Likes: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, WinglessLovers
cmakin (Offline)
  #9 10/18/23 12:34 PM
Here are photos of the final USAC show on the historic track. https://manvelmotorsports.smugmug.co...eptember-2023/

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
14 Likes: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, CRA91, Daisy's dad, erich45, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, mlamb, openwheelfan1, racenut69, TNRustler
Grocery Guy (Offline)
  #10 10/18/23 6:32 PM
Originally Posted by cmakin:
Here are photos of the final USAC show on the historic track. https://manvelmotorsports.smugmug.co...eptember-2023/
Those are incredibly crystal-clear photos. Thank you for sharing!
2 Likes: Ilovedirttrackracing, racenut69