allow aftermarket ignition for mec injection systems 19 34.55%
allow gasoline or methanol as fuel 10 18.18%
allow methanol only (safety) 31 56.36%
allow aftermarket injection electronic 24 43.64%
allow aftermarket injection mechanical 27 49.09%
allow bore change to meet displacement 14 25.45%
allow stroke change to meet displacement 13 23.64%
allow the use of restricted older National Midget Motors 25 45.45%
allow the use of stock smaller forced induction motors as they come on line 9 16.36%
allow M/C powerd cars to remove clutch and starter 10 18.18%
Allow 2.5L Engines 17 30.91%
I have raced in a DII class in the past 19 34.55%
I am very interested in DII Midget racing 18 32.73%
keep min weight as they are 1125>1000>910>875 7 12.73%
Change min weight of auto engine cars down to 1025 lbs. 3 5.45%
Tow your car on an open trailer 5 9.09%
weiRaise the min weight to accomodate 2014 average male weight of 196 pounds 4 7.27%
allow OEM Stock VVT 9 16.36%
VVT must be disabled if aftermarket fuel injection is used 3 5.45%
no wings 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll
kendirt (Offline)
  #31 10/16/15 9:09 AM
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE:
After reading this I fully understand why people would give the finger to midget racing and just buy a 410 sprint car. No hassles....just go race it.
Exactly. I drove a D2 midget last season, not mine just drove it. All season people asked when I was going to get my own car. I'd just say "Oh, I don't know." In private the answer was "Never, I'm not investing my money in a class that's in such a state of flux."

Now, I've found the right car for the right money so I guess I am going to run my own next season. Going into it with the idea that if it doesn't work out it won't be the most expensive mistake I've ever made and still looking at Sprint Cars. In short, getting into it with one foot already out the door. That's not how divisions grow long-term.

I think it starts out all well-meaning but this constant BS does more to drive people off than anything.
Crankin (Offline)
  #32 10/16/15 9:21 AM
After reading this I fully understand why people would give the finger to midget racing and just buy a 410 sprint car. No hassles....just go race it.
Originally Posted by kendirt:
Exactly. I drove a D2 midget last season, not mine just drove it. All season people asked when I was going to get my own car. I'd just say "Oh, I don't know." In private the answer was "Never, I'm not investing my money in a class that's in such a state of flux."

Now, I've found the right car for the right money so I guess I am going to run my own next season. Going into it with the idea that if it doesn't work out it won't be the most expensive mistake I've ever made and still looking at Sprint Cars. In short, getting into it with one foot already out the door. That's not how divisions grow long-term.

I think it starts out all well-meaning but this constant BS does more to drive people off than anything.
HUH?

What "hassles" and "BS" are you guys exactly referring to? How exactly are you two being affected, and/or what did I miss?

You bought something that won't be the most expensive mistake you've made, but you already have one foot out the door? Please explain.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #33 10/16/15 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Crankin:
HUH?

What "hassles" and "BS" are you guys exactly referring to? How exactly are you two being affected, and/or what did I miss?

You bought something that won't be the most expensive mistake you've made, but you already have one foot out the door? Please explain.
Craig....If you are trolling it isn't going to work.
If you cannot see what an absolute cluster it is having so many different rules and variations and then sitting down to make a blanket to cover them all and then invariably tweeking the rules on a constant basis to make sure no one has a perceived advantage vs buying a car...deciding if you want to put a wing on it or not then loading up and go racing....I don't know what to tell you.
3 Likes: kendirt, RickyBobby, TQ29m
Andrew S. Quinn (Online)
  #34 10/16/15 1:14 PM
Who was it that said "To many rules are as bad as not enough"?

I thought at first this was for stock block junk yard engines both car and bike of varying displacements. Lately I've been reading of engines costing thousands of dollars. Huh?

And as I noted many months ago,it's all about perception. I always think when I read of car and bike engines mixed together of various sizes and weights,then I picture in my mind going to a sprint car race with modifiers, street stocks, and hornets all racing together. That's how I perceive it
4 Likes: fish, Kellen Conover, opnwhlmnd, RickyBobby
Crankin (Offline)
  #35 10/16/15 1:34 PM
Craig....If you are trolling it isn't going to work.
If you cannot see what an absolute cluster it is having so many different rules and variations and then sitting down to make a blanket to cover them all and then invariably tweeking the rules on a constant basis to make sure no one has a perceived advantage vs buying a car...deciding if you want to put a wing on it or not then loading up and go racing....I don't know what to tell you.
I never troll Scott. Hell, I don't even know what that is?
I was asking a legit question.
The whole point is to un-"cluster", and have a basic set of rules for all who run this division. I truly don't see the issue about that?
With that said, ALL sanctioning bodies tweek their rules on a constant basis. O.K., I'll give you that Sprint Cars for the most part haven't tweaked too much, but name me 5 others that are not constantly changing something in the name of equal competition?

I truly don't know what your thoughts were when the Focus division started, but that was an attempt to make the playing field as even as possible. The whole point was to use it as a stepping stone to National Midgets. Learn to drive, learn to race, the mechanics of a Midget, how to set it up, etc.. What is wrong with having that again? A starter division for newbies to learn the ropes, as well as place for veterans to still go have some fun, teach the newbies, and not break their bank in doing so.

There are a zillion cars sitting around collecting dust, or only run the Chili Bowl. I would guess the reason they're sitting, is because the cost has just gotten to a point that they can't justify racing more. This division can most certainly help that problem. Relatively in-expensive engines that last a long time, and other rules to help keep other costs in line will only help bring in newbies, and bring out sitting cars. Rules that will make competitors feel that they have, and will have a chance at doing well.

As far as your other post about Toter Homes and lower purses, yeah they'll be people spending excess $ to try and win $300... That goes on in Karting where they run for trophies, it just is what it is.
But, there will also be people like Gage Walker and his Dad. Spent a couple years in the Focus division, didn't try to outspend anyone, learned the ropes, and is now the Montpelier Champ, as well as winning a POWRi race.

The purses are what they are. Simple supply and demand. If there was more of a demand for USAC National Midget races, there would be more than 9 National Midget races (not counting the 5 Midget Week races), in the midwest. Back in the day, and you know this well, there were over 70 races on their schedule. This new division has no affect on that as it is, and, has been already struggling long before a D2 was dreamed up.

I have a feeling an "adjustment" in purse cost is coming from 16th st. in order to acquire more dates, with leaving the few bigger events in tact.
I could go on about National Midget purses, but staying on topic, the D2 will not affect them.
It isn't watering down cars, they weren't showing up at National races anyway. It is not watering down purses, POWRi has had no problem getting races and cars with their purses. It is though in fact, helping the sport survive. The fact that 28 D2 cars show up at Lincoln to race for $500 to win, and less than $100 to start, shows that some people just want to race, feel that they're competitive, and most of all, HAVE FUN!
8 Likes: DAD, DaveP63, gearguy, hullracing, jjones752, Sling'n DIRT, stew60, tandtinc2424
DAD (Offline)
  #36 10/16/15 2:55 PM
Crankin

Definition of internet troll is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll i don't have all that cut and paste stuff down.

Looking at peoples responses I would say they are pretty much in line. I don't expect a big change from what they are now.

1 Stock head with aftermarket valves springs. no porting or cams or valves allowed. That makes sense. I would suspect they might not even need springs but I guess people want to be safe.

2 basically stock blocks with most people preferring aftermarket rods slightly over pistons. I guess they don't trust that powdered metal. i would rather have a little more compression. If they make aftermarket piston optional ($1000.00 + Labor)>> that simply means that before a guy goes racing he will be compelled to install high compression pistons just to go racing or buy a newer motor with high compression pistons already installed at the factory.

3.dry sumping and oiling changes would be allowed.

4. Removal of balancer shafts would be allowed.

5. ECU would be optional.

6. Methanol looks like the choice as fuel.

7. Fuel induction would be open Mechanical or electronic.

8. There are sure a lot of older midget racers taking an interest in this class but that is going to be a hard sell. My suggestion is put the old motor on a stand and invest in a late model motor and go racing. (Sure not my idea but it seems as soon as you say "National" their volume goes down )

9. There are also a few rules added late and I suspect people in the most part did not go back and change their vote to vote for or against them. It isn't that hard. Just go to he bottom of the survey and click on change my vote. Then you can vote over again or even write in a vote. I like the one>>>use an open trailer to tow your car on. Talk about generating interest. Every time you stop people >>will ask you about your dune buggy. That might get the track a few more fans.

I apologize to a few of you guys reading the thread. Several of you guys have a vested interest in Midget racing. Some are Mini Sprinters. If it offends you that much>> you can go to your control panel and exclude my posts>>>Simple. We so far have had 35 responses to the survey I think and several thousand hits. Some people are interested. By the way I sponsored the First DII Midget race at DuQuoin simply because I feel so strongly toward this class of car and wanted to watch them race together and they did an outstanding job. I think we might have proved something that race.

They are coming!!!!

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: jjones752, tandtinc2424
cbaumeyer48 (Offline)
  #37 10/16/15 3:23 PM
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #38 10/16/15 3:32 PM
All I can say is if someone believes in it enough to have an opinion of it....buy a car or ticket and go support it. If not...then don't.

At the end of the day...public support for or against will determine the end result.
DAD (Offline)
  #39 10/16/15 3:33 PM
Originally Posted by cbaumeyer48:
W
CB

Chris Dang it Kido speak English going back and forth to the online dictionary slang gets old for us old folk.

Honest Dad himself
cbaumeyer48 (Offline)
  #40 10/16/15 3:43 PM
Dad.... My apologies.... I started to ask a question then changed my mind. It left a "W" on there. No slang on this one buddy !! Just reading while I sit in the surgeons office!