IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Ray3 (Offline)
  #21 12/22/21 8:01 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
Oh, hell... you are probably right. I can just remember it. A ski is a ski on the grand scheme of things. I know for sure it wasn't Jean-Claude Killy, though!
It was Bondio and it was done as a joke. Or he did it because he knows how gullible some people are.

6 Likes: bighd0522, CRA91, dirtnonwingfan, luckybuc97, oppweld, Pitdad
Pitdad (Offline)
  #22 12/22/21 8:46 PM
Kruseman/Bondio won the previous year with a motorcycle wheel/tire on the left front, which naturally had some of the "favored" crowd crying foul. I think the ski was in response to their outrage of such a non-traditional midget...
5 Likes: chrismattlin, jdull99, K92, luckybuc97, PJ Wright
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #23 12/22/21 9:57 PM
I wounder if he'd go 13" wheels if they'd allow it or still be illegal? Looking at pictures of it on facebook it looks like pretty much every other car there. It's a Triple X chassis, looked to be same ride heights as everyone else also.
Only thing different looking was the 10" wheels. I mean sure it's running a Kawasaki ZX-14 bike engine, but it's still running a drive shaft. Making way less power than almost anyone else there.

Corky
2 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99
Pitdad (Offline)
  #24 12/23/21 12:08 AM
I don't know if he could pull that tall a tire. Takes a lot more torque to pull an 82" RR than a 69".
jdull99 (Offline)
  #25 12/23/21 12:28 PM
I think it would be the tire size. Its called (or was called) the "midget Nationals"...most midgets run 13" wheels right? Good for them for trying it (& getting a following) for a couple years tho

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #26 12/23/21 1:44 PM
Originally Posted by Pitdad:
I don't know if he could pull that tall a tire. Takes a lot more torque to pull an 82" RR than a 69".
Probably wouldn't be as fast as he was. He's losing some power and torque going through a drive shaft. Although lightning sprints are 400cc's less and run 13" tires. I forget the time comparison the lightning sprints had at the shootout compared to the midgets at chili bowl.

Corky
badcoupe (Offline)
  #27 12/23/21 7:06 PM
He could run 71” 13 rr like tq does. My question is the shaft driven from crank like a tq or output shaft like mini mod where it still has clutch and gears
Pitdad (Offline)
  #28 12/23/21 7:22 PM
Originally Posted by badcoupe:
He could run 71” 13 rr like tq does. My question is the shaft driven from crank like a tq or output shaft like mini mod where it still has clutch and gears
Wondered about TQ set ups. Outta my wheelhouse. He’s not direct drive and does have a clutch. Always looks out of place when he pulls out from the ramp and motors around the track when everyone else is being ferried onto the track to push start.
badcoupe (Offline)
  #29 12/23/21 7:28 PM
If it’s still got a clutch and shifts then that’s why he’s DQ’d id venture to say. The tq’s here run a u joint right off the crank and don’t use the gearbox on the engine at all. On the old Hondas they cut the trans off and plated the side of the block. The newer engines are compact enough to leave alone just still have to be direct drive.
Ray3 (Offline)
  #30 12/23/21 9:54 PM
Originally Posted by Pitdad:
Kruseman/Bondio won the previous year with a motorcycle wheel/tire on the left front, which naturally had some of the "favored" crowd crying foul. I think the ski was in response to their outrage of such a non-traditional midget...
I actually give Bondio a lot of credit for the cycle wheel/tire combo. I thought it was unique, innovative and kind of cool. It was also very risky too. One hard hit to the LF and that thing had the potential to fold up like a tin can.