IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/1/23, 1:39 PM   #41
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
Jonr

Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale, Tx (Fort Worth) Very fast high banked 1/4 mile. It was the first track that I ever saw that had a separate lane between the crowd and the track on the front stretch for the cars to enter the track. As they entered the track, you could really see the range of emotions on the drivers. Some trying to relax, some trying to get excited. They had a couple POWRi midget shows that some people may have seen.

Indoor midget race at Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo. There are still micro/mini sprint guys complaining about not getting paid. They have since remodeled Kemper and turned it into a multi use facility. There is no way a race could come back with the current configuration.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, oppweld, tirespinner
2/1/23, 1:40 PM   #42
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer40 View Post
Belle-Claire
C'mon, plenty of us have been there, even tho I live probably 900 miles away..... cool track!
& I have to thank good ole Funkmeister again for recommending it! POWRI midgets, perfect for a tiny track
I got there by an interesting route, too..... after seeing a race at Farmington, MO. the nite before, I was wondering if there was a smaller bridge or ferry across the mighty Mississippi, had crossed on I-70 many times before. So I did some research (Old school MAP!) & talked to my "seat neighbor" at Farmington, & took the St. Genevieve Ferry to Illinois, then North up along the river, where I also got to tour an old French fort from back in the 1800s (1700s?) I was the only car on the ferry, which was a barge pulled by a tugboat, capable of holding 9 cars! Pretty "down home" too.... sign said "Flash your lights" or "Honk horn"? if the Ferry is on the other side. Maybe I can figure out how to post a photo...
Last edited by revjimk; 2/1/23 at 2:52 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, tirespinner
2/1/23, 1:55 PM   #43
revjimk

Can't figure it out... anybody know how to post a JPG file from your hard drive?
Last edited by revjimk; 2/1/23 at 1:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/1/23, 2:16 PM   #44
rdzsprint

Quater mile dirt track at Mitchell, Indiana .

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
2/1/23, 2:56 PM   #45
Unlucky#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Little Salem, as it is known, and Osgood?
I was there for the race at Osgood, maybe mid-late 2000's? I remember that I was still in high school.
Talk about a one off race, that was back when the track was still good(before the horse racing debacle). Talk about a track that was really to small for sprint cars. Now I feel like TQ's/mini sprints/Midgets would do well there if they'd ever actually use the track(Same can be said for Greensburg too)

2/1/23, 3:54 PM   #46
bsmith8

I ran a 410 wing show at Scottsburg Fairgrounds in Scottsburg Indiana in the early nineties. I had Bill and AJ Felker turning the wrenches that night.

2/1/23, 4:04 PM   #47
racefanindy

I was there that night at the Dome to watch the sprint cars race. No offense, but wasnt much fun to watch.

I was also at the Midget race run during PRI in 2015. The track was way too small. Only way to pass was to bump someone out of the way. Lots of cautions for spins. The fire department kept having the racing stopped to let fumes out of the building. I remember at least one stop of 30 minutes. I have a pic on my phone with 20 cars, so must have been the start of the feature. My phone shows it was 1235am. I remember we left during one of the race stops about 130am.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, RHR, tirespinner
2/1/23, 4:24 PM   #48
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefanindy View Post
I was there that night at the Dome to watch the sprint cars race. No offense, but wasnt much fun to watch.

I was also at the Midget race run during PRI in 2015. The track was way too small. Only way to pass was to bump someone out of the way. Lots of cautions for spins. The fire department kept having the racing stopped to let fumes out of the building. I remember at least one stop of 30 minutes. I have a pic on my phone with 20 cars, so must have been the start of the feature. My phone shows it was 1235am. I remember we left during one of the race stops about 130am.
I was at both of those races and I agree, not much fun. We laughingly refer to the race at the fieldhouse as the worst race in history.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, RHR, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
2/1/23, 5:15 PM   #49
Rcar

Mc Henry ky. Looked like sprint cars racing on a roller coaster.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, mlamb
2/1/23, 5:41 PM   #50
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Can't figure it out... anybody know how to post a JPG file from your hard drive?
PM sent, Jim.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen