IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
1/31/23, 1:40 PM   #11
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?
Your memory is not bad, beaner. I was there a couple of times. If you got a running start and threw a baseball at the track, unless you were a pro outfielder, you couldn't hit it on the fly.

The strangest ending to any sprint race I ever saw was there once. MTS. Steve Irwin was leading pretty much the whole way. There were many cautions. On the last restart they pointed out that the next flag was going to be the end for it was starting to get dark and they had no lights.

Irwin comes up on lapped traffic and runs up and over a guy and lands on his side. End of race. Now.... who wins?

If you go back to the last completed lap, Steve was the leader. But he caused the red.

Who was in second on the last completed lap? Gregg Dalman - but unbeknownst to the fans, he apparently had hit the restart cone.

So who is in third in the last completed lap? John Watson of Canada. Johnny Demonic got the win. Apparently he was putting the car in the hauler when they ran him down and told him.

There were no loudspeakers for the track so none of the fans knew this on the way out. I found out the next day when I read it on tjslideways.

5 members like this post: beaner, BrentTFunk, fish, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
1/31/23, 2:02 PM   #12
speedracer40

Belle-Claire

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dale, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69, tirespinner
1/31/23, 2:07 PM   #13
CRA91

Santa Maria Speedway in California

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, cmakin, oppweld, tirespinner
1/31/23, 2:13 PM   #14
snowdrift

How about when they run sprint cars in the Hoosier dome on the cement.I think Tony Elliot won I was there I think hardly any passing

1/31/23, 3:16 PM   #15
Blackduce

This was the worst of the worst of my racing. A real cluster. The pavement shown under the 4 inch of dirt. Track was 1/3 pavment after heats.
More RR and pit stops I can remember for a USAC sprint race.

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show.

Lynn

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
1/31/23, 3:40 PM   #16
JJMooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
This was the worst of the worst of my racing. A real cluster. The pavement shown under the 4 inch of dirt. Track was 1/3 pavment after heats.
More RR and pit stops I can remember for a USAC sprint race.

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show.

Lynn
Now that I think about it, I do remember the pavement showing. I know there were alot of flat tires. Cluster is the word. It seems like it was wet and heavy at the start of the night with a huge curb though. I think the clay just peeled right up and stacked up in the corners.

3 members like this post: Blackduce, BrentTFunk, tirespinner
1/31/23, 3:48 PM   #17
NoDramazone2020

Marne Michigan....dirt track....is this the now current Berlin Raceway??.....The rocks were so bad, I think they cancelled half way thru Time Trials.....long time ago

4 members like this post: Blackduce, BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
1/31/23, 4:01 PM   #18
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. .
I was at this show. Thought it was Bud Kaeding not Tim that Elliott passed.

Too many to list on here for me that I've seen sprints run that others haven't.

1/31/23, 4:08 PM   #19
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift View Post
How about when they run sprint cars in the Hoosier dome on the cement.I think Tony Elliot won I was there I think hardly any passing
If I remember correctly, did they not they coat the entire floor surface with molasses to promote grip? Imagine getting THAT up post race with all of the rubber.

1/31/23, 4:22 PM   #20
Andrew S. Quinn

Canaan Speedway in Canaan, New Hampshire Think I went there twice. Its closed now I think.

Bear Ridge Speedway Bradford Vermont Saw sprints there once. Only time I ever slept in my own bed after watching sprint cars when I lived in Maine.

If it hadnt rained the final night in 197 I could have added Beech Ridge Speedway in Scarborough Maine. It rained out and that was going to be the last time for sprint cars there. It got sold last year and is now closed.....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen