IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?
1/29/23, 5:47 PM   #11
TQ29m

I feel it is a universal issue, I did look at AR midget prices a few days ago, and they have gone up, but no where near what H has, and I didn't check general, they may be competitive, worth a look.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
1/29/23, 6:53 PM   #12
Re: Is the system broken?
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I wonder what you all think?
I think you just like stirring up crap.

3 members like this post: OnTheHammer, Pitdad, tirespinner
1/29/23, 7:15 PM   #13
flagboy55

Ah Fish, good to hear from you again. I hope all is well in your world. I hope you are healthy and well. I’m not trying to start crap. Just trying to get a feel that affects all racers. As some on here have posted, there’s supply issues that affect all manufacturers. I understand that. But doesn’t anyone wonder how much money Hoosier has to recoup to pay their contingencies? Wouldn’t a cheaper tire benefit more racers? Fish, are you on Hoosier’s payroll?

4 members like this post: interpreter66, oppweld, PIT CART, Speedsme61x
1/29/23, 7:19 PM   #14
openwheelfan1

While I don’t like monopolies, it is going to be extremely difficult to change the current business model. IF a track or sanctioning body chooses to have open competition for tires, then they have to convince a manufacturer or distributor to bring enough tires for the field, for every race of the season, with no guarantee that the manufacturer or distributor will make expenses any, let alone every, night. In the current economy, that is a BIG risk. Unless a major tire manufacturer decides to get back in to short track racing, I just don’t see another player having the financial nest egg to risk it trying to dethrone Hoosier.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, OnTheHammer
1/29/23, 7:28 PM   #15
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I think you just like stirring up crap.
I don't think this is a stir, fish. It is the dead of Winter and there is nothing else to do but banter about until we can break free from our cabin fever and hit the tracks. Heck, I am passing the time by watching the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona. I recorded it. It is one of my favorite races. This year, a new GTP class/hybrids. 61 cars. No threat of rain. It is so exciting. Last night while watching it I woke up around the five hour mark and realized that I passed out around the three hour mark. Luckily I can rewind the tape.

With respect to this Hoosier Tire deal, other than American Racer, who is LEFT to supply dirt tires? Goodyear is out of the business - right?

Interesting tidbits while we talk....

As for Hoosier in its current state: The business was purchased by Continental AG on October 4 of 2016.[3] The tire company was purchased for a total nearing 140 million dollars. Following the purchase, 27-year veteran John DeSalle was named president.

140 mil was a lot of dough for the Newtons to sell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier_Racing_Tire

Continental AG: Continental AG, commonly known as Continental or colloquially as Conti,[4] is a German multinational automotive parts manufacturing company specializing in tires, brake systems, interior electronics, automotive safety, powertrain and chassis components, tachographs, and other parts for the automotive and transportation industries. Continental is structured into six divisions: Chassis and Safety, Powertrain, Interior, Tires, ContiTech, ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems). It is headquartered in Hanover, Lower Saxony. Continental is the world's fourth-largest tire manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_AG

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99, oppweld, WinglessLovers
1/29/23, 7:38 PM   #16
TQ29m

I just checked General, and it looks like ARCA is about all they do, that's about it for racing tires unless Foyt wants to spring for the molds again!

2 members like this post: jdull99, Stevensville Mike
1/29/23, 8:11 PM   #17
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Ah Fish, good to hear from you again. I hope all is well in your world. I hope you are healthy and well. I’m not trying to start crap. Just trying to get a feel that affects all racers. As some on here have posted, there’s supply issues that affect all manufacturers. I understand that. But doesn’t anyone wonder how much money Hoosier has to recoup to pay their contingencies? Wouldn’t a cheaper tire benefit more racers? Fish, are you on Hoosier’s payroll?
55 how is it going? What’s up with Abe Vigoda accusing you of trouble making??? You asked a legitimate question here. Everyone knows monopolies can be trouble. After the garbage uncured crap Hoosier produced and sold at full price last year, this is beyond a legitimate concern. Supposedly the new tire rules in sprint car racing are supposed to make things better. At the price they are charging per tire they had better be impeccable and beyond consistent. Of course a little help in track prep by the speedways would be good too. Maybe Fish can talk it over with Barney, and Wojo to see if you have legitimate concerns instead of just making an accusation.

1/29/23, 8:20 PM   #18
TQ29m

The reason for the Foyt mention, now don't quote me on this, as it has not been confirmed, but early in kart racing, there was a lack of dirt tires for kart racing, so AJ went to Firestone and paid for the molds, the tires were, you guessed it, Firestone 500's, till karts beat his time at the short lived dirt track at IRP. I once had a few of them, but like everything else, I needed something worse so they went. He went and got the molds. Now, only he knows the validity of this post, I'm just putting it out there for review.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Stevensville Mike
1/29/23, 8:53 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think the topic has been hashed to death honestly. Unless the racers or tracks stand up to it, We can't change it. I don't like Monopolies and I don't like the fact that they sacrificed safety for volume. (Part of that was because there was no other option for tires) But I got no skin in it other than Im seeing less and less teams race every year and when tire bill tops motor bill, there's a problem.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/29/23 at 8:55 PM.

2 members like this post: erich45, PIT CART
1/29/23, 8:57 PM   #20
Rpracing1

Ahh, gotta luv IOW in late January every year……

3 members like this post: oppweld, racenut69, Stevensville Mike
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?