IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?
1/29/23, 11:50 AM   #1
Is the system broken?
flagboy55

After listening to a recent Dirtnerds podcast, Duane was saying rear tires on sprint cars this year are going to cost around $365 each from our friends at Hoosier. From this fans perspective, Hoosier has created a monopoly, which is rarely good for the consumers. Now we know, for better or for worse, they create a pay to play system by giving sponsorship money to tracks and sanctions. I just wonder how much less they could sell tires for if they didn’t have to mark up their product to pay for their grants to other entities? And wouldn’t that be more beneficial for the average racer? I will admit, I’m critical of Hoosier for more than they’re business model, and I’m not saying I’m right, it’s just how I see it. I wonder what you all think?

4 members like this post: bighd0522, rmr6nm, Speedsme61x, TQ29m
1/29/23, 11:56 AM   #2
Re: Is the system broken?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The fact they put out uncured tires last year and sold em knowingly is a issue I'd be more concerned with. Better no tires than ones they know could cause a accident. But grease the right palms and nobody has a problem with it...

1/29/23, 11:59 AM   #3
TQ29m

I agree, I think that was the reason I quit, I don't mind most of the other rules, but when I lose my right to spend my money, on the things we have to have, my incentives diminish.

4 members like this post: Blackduce, flagboy55, Ken Bonnema, Phylo82
1/29/23, 12:38 PM   #4
jonboat15

Its not just tires. Everything has gotten more expensive. It doesn't seem that long ago that I heard some dollar figures it takes just to roll a sprint car off the trailer and race for a night without problems. Those figures were 2-3 thousand per night. Now I hear figures of 7 thousand plus to compete per night. I don't dig the hoosier monopoly but I don't own a car either so its up to the people that have skin in the game to decide what is right for them. Personally I don't see how a blue collar Joe can do it anymore.

6 members like this post: bighd0522, flagboy55, Hubie48, motorhead748, PIT CART, TQ29m
1/29/23, 2:35 PM   #5
Dale

Everything is cheaper with competition. There is no reason USAC can't put its foot down and issue a tire spec that can be bought anywhere.

6 members like this post: flagboy55, Hase, oppweld, Pancho Stapp, Phylo82, TQ29m
1/29/23, 3:22 PM   #6
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Everything is cheaper with competition. There is no reason USAC can't put its foot down and issue a tire spec that can be bought anywhere.
Sure there is, USAC and every other sanctioning body that's on the Hoosier program signed a contract and gave up their power to change tire vendors.

5 members like this post: flagboy55, Hase, jonboat15, tirespinner, Tonymain74
1/29/23, 4:14 PM   #7
badcoupe

Biggest issue I see with allowing other tire manufacturers is ability to test or have standards for all companies and that’s easily over come, or leave it open for people to dope/cut etc.

1/29/23, 4:16 PM   #8
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Anyone know how much American Racers costs?

Also, could their production meet increased demand ?

1 member likes this post: oppweld
1/29/23, 5:21 PM   #9
TQ29m

To the original question , I for one believe it is, I see nowhere that it benefits the MAJORITY of the participants, now,am I wrong??

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Speedsme61x
1/29/23, 5:40 PM   #10
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheHammer View Post
Anyone know how much American Racers costs?

Also, could their production meet increased demand ?
My understanding was materials/supply chain issues have plagued both manufacturers.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the system broken?