IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
The Old Coyote (Offline)
  #11 9/24/22 5:49 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
If someone on the team said they were done, Then a Consi was cancelled for lack of cars. Then that car wants back in. Then the rest that didn't make it would have to be let in.

Sounds like a closed book. USAC did nothing wrong.
I agree 100% with Charles on this.

It seems like some people live to beat on USAC. That is sad.

Real Race Cars Don't Have Fenders!
Ed
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, Rcar, Sandy Lowe
Vookie (Offline)
  #12 9/24/22 6:02 PM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
Did USAC mess up or does blame go elsewhere?

Dude, you're a late model and modified guy. How many sprint car and midget races do you attend every year?
2 Likes: fish, tirespinner
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #13 9/24/22 6:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vookie:
Dude, you're a late model and modified guy. How many sprint car and midget races do you attend every year?
More than you might think. Just this year

Knoxville - for the Nationals
Wilmot - 2022 Opener
Gas City - 2 night. Both regular races
Kokomo - 2 races. Memorial Day & 4th Of July Sunday
Lincoln Park - 1 race. Regular show
Hartford - 1 race. GLSS
8 as of now. It will be 9 after the Kokomo Klash.

These where the nights I wasn't already helping someone with their race car or had other commitments

I catch what I can when I'm not at another track in the pits helping a friend with their car. I don't ditch my friends just because I'd like to catch a race elsewhere.

2023 Season: 13 Tracks & 40 Races. States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI. Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
7 Likes: chrismattlin, interpreter66, oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner, Tk04, TNRustler
Hubie48 (Offline)
  #14 9/25/22 6:24 AM
I would have liked to see Windom race. I think it could have offered another interesting facet to the race. Chris is a past champion and Rose is a long, long time USAC supporter, car owner and driver.

Dumb Move IMO
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #15 9/25/22 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
Any bet USAC won't try to clarify the situation
Have you ever been to a USAC race. For whatever reason for a stock car guy you have a real ax to grind. How many hours a day are you on social media?
7 Likes: Dirtfan, dkdorkboy, fish, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #16 9/25/22 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hubie48:
I would have liked to see Windom race. I think it could have offered another interesting facet to the race. Chris is a past champion and Rose is a long, long time USAC supporter, car owner and driver.

Dumb Move IMO

Here's the problem. Windom is out of USAC and did not qualify and transfer to the feature. The rules exist for the new guy as well as the triple crown winner. or the thirty year supporter.

Kinda like the rules of today. Commit a crime, get no time..... SMH.

Charles Nungester
yeleyfan76 (Offline)
  #17 9/25/22 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;558010]Here's the problem. Windom is out of USAC and did not qualify and transfer to the feature. The rules exist for the new guy as well as the triple crown winner. or the thirty year supporter.

Please define out of Usac. He did run and win the midgets correct? I would think you are out of Usac because of retirement or suspension. It appears 8 other cars did not transfer from TT. Although due to an abysmal turnout of cars for the “heritage” division those 8 ran the A. If and only if it was made official by the team owner that they were done for the wknd and the statement by the sanction body is correct that the car was loaded up then there is no issue. I would like to know if Windom does not qualify for a past champ provisional. Especially if there were not even enough cars to fill the field.

The turnout of cars for 2 of the 3 divisions of Usac is a telling sign of where this event is headed. Kind of a shame as it used to be a marquee event on the schedule. Might be time to figure out how to keep what teams you have and try to build upon more.

An earlier comment was made about people getting on here with an axe to grind. That comment is probably true. USAC decided about 4 years ago to assert themselves as pioneers of rules and or conduct infringement. They wanted the attention as a group who did it by the book, and kept order. Since then these little things keep creeping up.( Don’t park a guy for wrecking the winner after the checkers because he didn’t like getting passed, 4 tire tests to keep their clique group from being suspended, this he said she said issue about transponder return.) People decided to watch what goes on and in this world of social media things are more out in the open then they ever were. USAC is getting the attention of people and it’s not always a good look. This board was designed for people to discuss the issues/events of the racing scene. For a long time USAC had the reputation of competence and order. Since about this time 4 years ago that has changed. Axe to grind could be accurate but it’s only because of leadership decisions. Hopefully next wknd its two nights of great sprint car racing, and it’s not riddled more questions than answers.
5 Likes: bighd0522, Hubie48, nathans1012, progressive22, streetglider
SoIllSprinter (Offline)
  #18 9/25/22 12:11 PM
Interesting discussion. Damned if you do damned if you don’t. USAC, and quite frankly, any sanction are in a no win situation. Every keyboard jockey has an opinion, notwithstanding having zero real insider knowledge of the circumstance. Anytime a sanction makes a decision the knee jerk reactions begin. I don’t know the true circumstances here, and neither so any of you. I know Rose has ran off and on with USAC for years. I also know he posted his side of the story on social media and many immediately formulated their opinion based on that post. USAC countered. I’m not sure what else people want here, it’s a done deal. USAC made their decision to scratch the hooligan based on the 66 cars withdrawal. After that, and since the race has been run, there’s little more to deal with. Everybody wants a pound of flesh, when it seems in this instance it is a situation of nuance in which it’s difficult to find anyone to be a “bad” guy.
2 Likes: erich45, fish
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #19 9/25/22 12:27 PM
[quote=yeleyfan76;558019]
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Here's the problem. Windom is out of USAC and did not qualify and transfer to the feature. The rules exist for the new guy as well as the triple crown winner. or the thirty year supporter.

Please define out of Usac. He did run and win the midgets correct? I would think you are out of Usac because of retirement or suspension. It appears 8 other cars did not transfer from TT. Although due to an abysmal turnout of cars for the “heritage” division those 8 ran the A. If and only if it was made official by the team owner that they were done for the wknd and the statement by the sanction body is correct that the car was loaded up then there is no issue. I would like to know if Windom does not qualify for a past champ provisional. Especially if there were not even enough cars to fill the field.

The turnout of cars for 2 of the 3 divisions of Usac is a telling sign of where this event is headed. Kind of a shame as it used to be a marquee event on the schedule. Might be time to figure out how to keep what teams you have and try to build upon more.

An earlier comment was made about people getting on here with an axe to grind. That comment is probably true. USAC decided about 4 years ago to assert themselves as pioneers of rules and or conduct infringement. They wanted the attention as a group who did it by the book, and kept order. Since then these little things keep creeping up.( Don’t park a guy for wrecking the winner after the checkers because he didn’t like getting passed, 4 tire tests to keep their clique group from being suspended, this he said she said issue about transponder return.) People decided to watch what goes on and in this world of social media things are more out in the open then they ever were. USAC is getting the attention of people and it’s not always a good look. This board was designed for people to discuss the issues/events of the racing scene. For a long time USAC had the reputation of competence and order. Since about this time 4 years ago that has changed. Axe to grind could be accurate but it’s only because of leadership decisions. Hopefully next wknd its two nights of great sprint car racing, and it’s not riddled more questions than answers.
I meant out of usac as in not running for points and having no provisional s. Windom and others are free to do what they want to do.

I thought the count was good for sprints and champ cars. Little down on sprints but two IN tracks and IRA raced against it.

Midgets, I think 2019 was my last actual being there, They had fourteen and two either blew or wrecked before features so they started twelve.

Charles Nungester
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #20 9/25/22 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Have you ever been to a USAC race. For whatever reason for a stock car guy you have a real ax to grind. How many hours a day are you on social media?

Personally, I find it funny folks call me a stock car guy like there something wrong with that.
I don't consider myself that at all.
Folks questing weather I've actually seen a USAC race is even funnier.
Been to both the Smackdown and Kokomo Grand Prix on multiple occasions.
Seen USAC races at Kokomo Speedway, Gas City I-69 Speedway, Lincoln Park Speedway, Santa Fe Sppedway, Illiana Motor Speedway, LaSalle Speedway, 34 Raceway Speedway (during pandemic), Lincoln Speedway (IL), Indianapolis Raceway Park (Thursday Night Thunder) just to name a few.
Saw a USAC race at Illiana years ago and now that track is closed.
Seen a few USAC races at Santa Fe Speedway on the southwest side of Chicago (93rd & Wolf Road) years ago and that track has been closed since late 1995.
Saw the USAC Midgets at Lincoln Speedway in Illinois that was part of a UMP Summer Nationals show (7-2-2017) a few years back and got to see one of the best races I have personally witnessed in years.
Christopher Bell got the win that night out dueling Spencer Bayston, Tyler Courtney, Shane Golobic, & Jerry Coons Jr.
Any more questions on weather I've seen a USAC race refer to what I just typed.
Seen an MSCS race at Shadyhill a few years back.
The series only time there.
I'd ask many of you if many here on IOW if you have gone out of your way to watch a late model or modified show?
When it comes to racing, I don't discriminate on what I choose to watch when I'm not helping a friend with their race car.
I try to support my local tracks as much I can (Shadyhill & Kankakee).
I wish Shadyhill raced some sort of Open Wheel class weekly but that's not really a possibility or feasible since there mostly fender cars in the region.
Would be awesome If they could get the USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets on the schedule a few times, but until they upgrade the fencing, I don't see them running an open wheel show other than the BMARA Badger Midgets.
I've seen a ton of USAC races over the years.
Kokomo is one of my favorite tracks just wish they races a few more times a year.
I don't have an ax to grind.
Just this year I finally made got to make my first trip to Knoxville for the Knoxville Nationals and seen a race I had on my bucket list for as long as I could remember since the TNN was covering the race in the 80's.
Left my house and 3:00am and got there just after 8:00am and was the 1st person in line for a pit pass for the Saturday show.
Never left that line for any reason since they only sold so many pit passes, I wanted to make sure was able to get down to the infield to watch the show.
I to witness history with Donny Schatz winning his 10th career Knoville Nationals crown with a late race pass on David Gravel and coming that much closer to tying Steve Kinser record of 12 wins.
I catch what I can going to races on a budget.

2023 Season: 13 Tracks & 40 Races. States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI. Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
9 Likes: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin, Crankin, interpreter66, Oleman61x, PIT CART, progressive22, Rcar, TNRustler