IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
jdull99 (Offline)
  #41 2/1/23 1:37 AM
How bout this (I know current teams have a wheel inventory, but they could buy new halves, which are reasonable...); how about tires (& wheels) that aren't as wide??? For both SC&Ms...

How would it not be cheaper to make tires that didn't take as much rubber to make???

I had more fun racing on the 8inch wide Illini midget series right rear than anything...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
3 Likes: jonboat15, oppweld, tj39
flagboy55 (Online)
  #42 2/1/23 5:32 PM
So I must say, when I posted this thread as a point of debate I never thought it would inspire what might be described as vitriol. I titled it as a question. When I interpreted someone I respect who’s in a position to know how cost’s of things affects regional racers as concerned, I threw it out there to see what everyone else might think. I said it was a fan’s perspective and even said I was not saying I’m right, just my observation. But as they say these days, hater’s gonna hate. I’m going to leave it here though, in the words of Dan Webster
Monopoly - Complete control over the entire supply of goods or a service in a certain market
Sound familiar?
2 Likes: PIT CART, TQ29m
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #43 2/2/23 10:46 AM
Dead horse or not, It's a message board and he's following the rules. He likes to talk about racing and about the things involved in racing. Tracks, Tires, Motors, drivers, etc.

I don't know the whole reason, I'm probably a part of it. But half the people I've met on this board don't post anymore. The other half are dead. I can only think the first part is due to the ever devolving of respect.

We don't have to agree on anything. But the rules say respect it. Correct it if it's wrong. I used to learn quite a bit from people like Shuman correcting me as to what the facts were behind something.

Charles Nungester
6 Likes: captrat, Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, NoDramazone2020, PIT CART, progressive22
oppweld (Offline)
  #44 2/2/23 10:49 AM
In a perfect world a single manufacturer could work as a benevolent dictatorship. Instead we have what we have. Come on March Racing!
Nut'n but Dirt (Offline)
  #45 2/2/23 12:49 PM
Last year, American Racer came out and said they don't have the tires to sell. So, that doesn't get anyone closer to getting tires. Trust me, when owning a team, it is easier to have one group do the tires so you don't have to have a large amount of wheels. It is definitely cheaper in the end.
11 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, fish, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, Jonr, OnTheHammer, oppweld, PIT CART, racefan20, Sandy Lowe
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #46 2/2/23 3:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nut'n but Dirt:
Last year, American Racer came out and said they don't have the tires to sell. So, that doesn't get anyone closer to getting tires. Trust me, when owning a team, it is easier to have one group do the tires so you don't have to have a large amount of wheels. It is definitely cheaper in the end.
And that is as they say, THAT! By a owner and one long enough in the sport to know.

Charles Nungester
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, Nut'n but Dirt, oppweld, PIT CART
Blackduce (Offline)
  #47 2/2/23 8:58 PM
I remember one night at Ascot when Jim Oskie showed up. And he was holding a $19.95
JC Penny Drag Slick. He mounted it. Then started the grooving iron. And hand groved the tire. The whole pits were laughing at Jim.
Well guess who won.

Lynn
6 Likes: Charles Nungester, duel, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, mlamb, TQ29m
kinser (Offline)
  #48 2/2/23 9:39 PM
Originally Posted by Pitdad:

In the old days (that everyone is so fond of misremembering), a tire war was a BAD thing because it meant more tire failures and accidents. One brand would decide they were going to jump into a series that was running a single brand of tires and introduce a softer compound or change their sidewall stiffness, anything that would bring them short term success. Everyone would flock to those tires, so the original tire manufacturer would change their design and eventually, somebody would go too far and the drivers and teams would pay the price in crashes. One spec tire meant the manufacturer who was AWARDED the contract would know they could invest the engineering necessary to build purpose built tire for the series. They could afford to provide technical support, analyze failures and make adjustments that would keep the tires technology from being the differentiator. NASCAR did it (does it). Indy Car did it (does it). It makes sense for them.

But until then...
When did this all happen ???? I remember when you could run Goodyears, McCreary or Hoosier and I sure don’t remember all these crashes you are talking about.
kinser (Offline)
  #49 2/2/23 9:42 PM
I never thought that I would see the day that a right rear cost 365.00 and a left rear cost 410.00. I’d say this will definitely affect car counts this year.
3 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART, Speedsme61x
jdull99 (Offline)
  #50 2/3/23 2:10 AM
I think a lot of organizations do, but everyone should certainly have a rule that you have to run one or the other or both in multiple races on a night...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)