IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/2/23, 8:18 PM   #81
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
Chuck I too was at the USAC winged show Jeff Gordon won. Been so long ago they still pitted inside the track then. I watched pitside on top of Eric Gordon’s trailer with good friend Tony Epperson.

BTW Chuck thanks for starting this thread.
Been a neat stroll down memory lane.
I was pitting on Racin Ray Williams and Herb Jewel's (RIP) Bombers back then and I stopped by Staab's shop often to help at that time. I watched many a race from the infield but you had to go up in turn one and stand on the old light pole hill to see over most of the trailers and the rest of the track. That track has about a 15-20 difference in elevation from 1-2 to 3-4 Or the top of 3-4 is about the same elevation as the bottom of 1-2

Seen a Illinois Sprint Week race at Vermilion County IL speedway. Spiker held a lot of races there prior to buying LPS Car count was strong, But by the looks from my visit. Fan count wasn't. I doubt there were a hundred in the stands. Stanbrough won.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, mlamb, oppweld, TNRustler
2/2/23, 8:26 PM   #82
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
I do recall this happening but much later than this USAC/CRA race. Back in the 80's the big names from out west came in to run with USAC for about two weeks. Eldora, Terre Haute, can't remember others but one year Whitewater Valley was on the trip. Wish I could remember more specifics but a good field of cars I do remember.
I was there, But it was a CRA tour not USAC. Frankie Kerr won after giving Leland Mcspadden a RR coming off of turn four. Which ended Lelands tour as they'd junked about four chassis. Maybe CRA91 can elaborate. a

Was also there for the USAC cancellation. Seen many races (When they ran) late eighties. For me it was Whitewater Fri Night for Sprints, Florence for LM's and Bombers on Saturday (Worked on Bombers) and Sunday Lawrenceburg was racing LM's as Jerry King took over Mel's lease and ran Sat Sprint shows and Fenders on sunday. Whitewater late 80's and early 90s had a reputation of scheduling but not running, You'd show up and either the track was open and cars were there, or they weren't. Pretty frustrating when they'd cancel. But dinner at J's was always good in Liberty.a

Robbie Stanley used to just jump up in the cushion on that track and ran it till it came in, He'd often drop several spots early to later pass two cars a lap. Usually winning.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/2/23 at 8:29 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mlamb, Rapid Rick
2/2/23, 10:12 PM   #83
Gary P

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?
Your memory is right on track! A couple more features of this place: indeed the "track" was cut into the side of a hill, and there were no floodlights. And if I recall they ran some lower group on the tractor pull area, in a makeshift oval, kind of around a pole on each end. Seemed like half the cars that competed wound up rolling over on the evening I was there. The red flags didn't help in light of impending darkness. I gave up and went home before the A main.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
2/2/23, 10:14 PM   #84
JJMooney

I remembered a few other places I’ve seen sprint cars at that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Saint Charles Motor Speedway, St Charles MO: One of the last shows held here was a winged sprint car race I attended in October ’99. It was won by Jerrod Hull. St Charles was a neat place. High-banked, circular, quarter-mile bullring. Big, tall wooden walls around the outside. A wood fence ringed the infield too. Some have told me that St Charles was the one track left in the world that was most like Shaheen’s Little Springfield. It wasn’t exactly the safest, or prettiest, track but watching sprint cars there was an experience.

East Moline Speedway, East Moline IL: Saw Terry McCarl win a winged show there on Easter Weekend of ’95. The field on hand that night was an interesting mix of Knoxville and Jacksonville regulars. This was another really neat bullring that was exciting to see sprint cars race on. High-banked quarter-mile. Fairgrounds track with covered grandstands. And that roof over the stands really amplified the sound. I remember it being loud. I know they’ve run some midget races there in recent years but I don’t think they’ve had many, if any, sprint car shows there since that one I saw 28 years ago.

Shepp’s Speedway, Alexander IL: Located next to I-72 on old route 36 between Springfield and Jacksonville. The Sheppard family of dirt late model fame built and owned it. They called it a quarter mile but I’d say the track was “ only a smidge bigger than Macon”. Narrow. Tough to pass. Only ran a few years. Saw Hud Cone win an Illinois Sprintweek show there in ’09. The track was built uncomfortably close to a rail line. When a train came past you'd swear it was going to clip the backstretch bleachers. The property is now a junkyard.

Delta Bowl, Tunica MS: This place didn’t last long but it was around long enough to host a WoO show in ‘03. High-banked 1/3 mile. Black gumbo. The racing was ok. I remember Greg Hodnett won. I think he was driving for Guy Forbrook at the time. The only other thing I remember is standing in the infield and watching Daron Clayton flipping out of the ballpark. Still the only track I’ve been to in Mississippi.
Last edited by JJMooney; 2/2/23 at 10:16 PM.

2/2/23, 11:21 PM   #85
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

Seen USAC Sprints first ever appearance {I think} (with USAC Midgets) at Angell Park Speedway, Sun Prairie, WI, in 2001, Jack Hewitt won the Sprint feature.

A few pavement tracks:
Seen USAC sprints (with USAC Midgets) at South Boston Speedway, Va on October 13, 2001, winners were Tracy Hines (#19 GMS) sprints, Tony Stewart Midgets. Mike Bliss was in the Hoffman 69 and he crashed on his second qualifying lap, the car could not be repaired. Long way for the Hoffman's to go and not get to race!

Seen USAC Sprints (with USAC Midgets) at Mansfield Motorsports Speedway, Mansfield, Oh on July 9, 2005, winners were Dave Steel Sprints, Bobby East Midgets.

Seen WSoA (Winged Sprints on Asphalt) on July 28, 2006, at Kil-Kare Speedway, Xenia, Oh, Tom Tolbert was the winner.

Have seen either HOSS, AVSS, or WSoA sprints at Shadybowl Speedway (De Graff, Oh), Baer Field Speedway, (Ft Wayne, In), and Angola (In) Speedway.

Seen USAC Sprints at Kalamazoo, Mi Speedway on June 20, 2003 Bobby Santos #98 was the winner.
Last edited by itsanonwingthing; 2/2/23 at 11:23 PM.

2/2/23, 11:41 PM   #86
diversified

All Stars at McCutchenville (Ohio) Speedway, Earl Baltes owned/promoted it for a while, Bryan Speedway (Ohio). Both long closed...
And Oakshade Speedway in Ohio, still open but no sprints in a long time.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, tirespinner
2/3/23, 1:28 AM   #87
revjimk

OK, I'm gonna start a "shoulda , coulda, woulda" slight diversion. I lived in the mountains of Colorado for 14 years & would always see ads for midget racing at Lakeside Speedway in Denver. I was always intrigued & tempted to go, but for some reason never made the 2 hr. drive... hadn't really got back into racing yet. It was right in the middle of an amusement park! By the time I moved to Denver in 1993, racing there was over for good (I & lived about a 10 minute bike ride from the track)
Moral: If you wanna do something, do it. Seize the time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa-mK6DmvCY
Last edited by revjimk; 2/3/23 at 1:29 AM.

2/3/23, 9:54 AM   #88
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
I remembered a few other places I’ve seen sprint cars at that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Saint Charles Motor Speedway, St Charles MO: One of the last shows held here was a winged sprint car race I attended in October ’99. It was won by Jerrod Hull. St Charles was a neat place. High-banked, circular, quarter-mile bullring. Big, tall wooden walls around the outside. A wood fence ringed the infield too. Some have told me that St Charles was the one track left in the world that was most like Shaheen’s Little Springfield. It wasn’t exactly the safest, or prettiest, track but watching sprint cars there was an experience.

East Moline Speedway, East Moline IL: Saw Terry McCarl win a winged show there on Easter Weekend of ’95. The field on hand that night was an interesting mix of Knoxville and Jacksonville regulars. This was another really neat bullring that was exciting to see sprint cars race on. High-banked quarter-mile. Fairgrounds track with covered grandstands. And that roof over the stands really amplified the sound. I remember it being loud. I know they’ve run some midget races there in recent years but I don’t think they’ve had many, if any, sprint car shows there since that one I saw 28 years ago.

Shepp’s Speedway, Alexander IL: Located next to I-72 on old route 36 between Springfield and Jacksonville. The Sheppard family of dirt late model fame built and owned it. They called it a quarter mile but I’d say the track was “ only a smidge bigger than Macon”. Narrow. Tough to pass. Only ran a few years. Saw Hud Cone win an Illinois Sprintweek show there in ’09. The track was built uncomfortably close to a rail line. When a train came past you'd swear it was going to clip the backstretch bleachers. The property is now a junkyard.

Delta Bowl, Tunica MS: This place didn’t last long but it was around long enough to host a WoO show in ‘03. High-banked 1/3 mile. Black gumbo. The racing was ok. I remember Greg Hodnett won. I think he was driving for Guy Forbrook at the time. The only other thing I remember is standing in the infield and watching Daron Clayton flipping out of the ballpark. Still the only track I’ve been to in Mississippi.
The last St Charles show was fun stuff. Jarrod won as you said and I believe Jim Moughan ran second and I was third. Track was a fun high-banked bullring that you never had to lift off the throttle for all 30 laps. Went there a bunch in the early 80s working with Schrader on a sprint car team.

I've actually raced at all the tracks you listed here.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
2/3/23, 10:11 AM   #89
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing View Post
Seen USAC Sprints at Kalamazoo, Mi Speedway on June 20, 2003 Bobby Santos #98 was the winner.
I remember that one. Nearly forgot about it. The last USAC Sprint pavement race I ever saw.

One thing I remember about that night is some drunk fell down the stairs in the grandstand in between heats. The ambulance crew had to attend to him then drive him off. I assume he was drunk for when they carried him out he was waving to the crowd. Delayed the show quite some time until a new crew and ambulance could get to the track.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, JJMooney, tirespinner
2/3/23, 10:35 AM   #90
JJMooney

RE: Belle-Clair...
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
C'mon, plenty of us have been there, even tho I live probably 900 miles away..... cool track!
Now, hang on. Midgets at Belle-Clair – yes. Plenty of people on this board have been to Belle-Clair for midgets. SPRINT CARS at Belle-Clair? I’m guessing not many have seen that. Sprint cars have only been to Belle-Clair a handful of times. I was there for a few of them:

7/29/99: Winged sprint cars raced at Belle-Clair during the St Clair County Fair on a Thursday night. I didn't even know about this show until the morning of the event. I just happened to hear a radio ad for it. Jerrod Hull won. There may have been 14-15 cars, mostly Farmington regulars and a few Jacksonville cars. Small crowd. This was back when the wooden wall encircled the whole track. As you can imagine, it was interesting, sketchy, scary and entertaining all at the same time.

7/22/04: The All-Star Circuit of Champions had a show at Belle-Clair that ultimately got rained out. They got it hot laps, then they were two cars into qualifications before the skies let loose. The race was never rescheduled.

4/15/16: The WAR series had a show that was the first time ever non-wing sprints were at Belle-Clair. Good field – over 20 cars. Really entertaining feature. Joe B. Miller won. WAR had other shows scheduled at Belle-Clair. 2017 was rained out. I think they did come back in 2018 but not sure if that one ran or was rained out too. I wasn’t there for that one.
Last edited by JJMooney; 2/3/23 at 10:36 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen