IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Born at the right time
12/28/21, 10:41 PM   #1
Born at the right time
flagboy55

Having a birthday a couple weeks ago, and then going to visit my Dad out on Arizona, I got to feeling a bit reflective, both far and near. Thanks to my Dad, and even earlier, his father and brothers, our family was bit by the racing bug and it seems relentless in its grip on our lives. And because of our history in the sport we all love, and my Dad exposing us to it at an early age, I’ve had the great privilege of seeing so many of the absolute best. While I didn’t see a few of the greats in their prime, nonetheless I’ve seen them in person on short tracks of a mile or less. Just to name a few that I’ve been thankful to see; Foyt, Hurtabise, Tatersall, Tripp, Vogler, Hewitt, Pancho, Opperman, Kinser’s Swindell, Wolfgang, Steele, Kenyon,Stewart, Gordon, Bettenhausen, Shuman, Dickson, Jones, Jones, Bell, and Larson. How’s that for a slice of racing royalty taken in from a kid to just about officially an old man? That’s just some of the many outstanding racers I’ve been able to watch. The great thing is, hopefully it’s a long way from the checkers, and I’m looking forward to adding more names to the list. But for now, I think it’s been one hell of a show!

12/29/21, 12:03 AM   #2
Re: Born at the right time
yeleyfan76

Happy Birthday 55! I as well have a December birthday. Two years north of mid century now. Growing up in the suburbs of Philly I grew up in our modifieds. I was 4 the first time dad took me to Reading. With lots of tracks around we didn’t see sprint cars too much. Central Pa seemed to be far away back then. Gene F can back me up when saying we were blessed to see guys like Brightbill, Chamberlain, Tobias, Gerhart, Ploski, and Tasnady. Just before Reading closed guys like Dave Kelly and Kreitz Jr were coming along. Not long after they went URC racing along with Glenn Fitzcharles. As modifieds began to get stale we took that ride to central pa for many a nite of Kauffman, Dewease, Shaffer, Dan Dietrich,R.Wolfe, and of course Fast Freddie. After the Usac bug hit in 99 it’s been a love affair with non wing. Luckily we got to go west to see Griffin, Shuman, Ripper, a young JJ Yeley, Gaunt, Davis Jr, and especially the Tempe Tornado. I guess our journeys are quite different due to geography, but the feeling that we grew up in a great time is shared. We got to see the guys who really put racing on the map near the ends of their careers, and grew up during a fantastic time with the drivers mentioned. Hopefully the baton has been passed to a group that can keep it going strong. I’m so ready for the ‘22 racing season.

9 members like this post: Bobv, CRA91, Grocery Guy, jdull99, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, Rcar, stp6237
12/29/21, 10:26 PM   #3
flagboy55

76, thanks for the birthday wishes and happy birthday to you as well. Before I continue I must realize one glaring omission on my list and that’s BC. Sorry I missed it but I didn’t sit down and document it as I was just going off the top of my head. 76 I was fortunate to see some of the guy’s you brought up as well. And yes it’s definitely regional, however I’m very well aware of some of the great names you’ve brought up in the modifieds. Thanks to the National Speed Sport News, I read about the legends you watched in your region. I know it’s completely subjective, but as far as racing goes, I wouldn’t trade Indiana for any other place in the world.

6 members like this post: Bobv, dirt330, EBookerFan, mc/rider, Rcar, Will Shunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Born at the right time