IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > observation #2, a revolution?
5/5/18, 12:28 PM   #21
Re: observation #2, a revolution?
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I'm not much of a purist, heck, I like wing cars better than non wings, but I do think the rule should be in place, that you have to be able to crawl through the openings on both sides of the car. And this is coming from somebody that thinks wing cars with left side arm guards are the way to go.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
5/6/18, 12:32 AM   #22
hoscalecody

I personally like the sun visors and bigger arm guards to help with the sun and even mud or rocks getting thrown at you from other cars. I know for fact both cars of mine that had a open left side I had either big mud clods or a rock thrown at me from the right rear of another car and usually it hit straight into the chest and that's just 1000cc mini sprint. I wouldn't want to even imagine what that feels like with a lot more wheel spin of a sprint car. On another hand is I think Clouser's right side is just too closed off. I agree with a few when they say you must be able to get out the side of the car.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/6/18, 1:30 AM   #23
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
I think Clouser's right side is just too closed off. I agree with a few when they say you must be able to get out the side of the car.
Full containment seats pose a problem for that line of thought.

5/6/18, 3:47 AM   #24
revjimk

The drivers are the ones risking life & limb. If they want more sheet metal, more power to them

4 members like this post: fish, Jbaldwin, luckybuc97, trackprep
5/6/18, 3:50 AM   #25
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
The post about I just want to see just good hard racing, I don’t care what it is,has to be the most illogical statement ever made on these pages.if I go to the Indianapolis 500 I want to see Indy Cars,not mini stocks.When something ceases to be what it once was it is no longer that.Exhibit A,formula one cars with halo.Personally,I don’t mind the look of the Sprint cars and Midgets of today,but I know of many people who could care less because they bare lttle resemblance to the cars of the past.They are sprintcars in name only.One of only many reasons why this type of racing is dying.
Thats ridiculous. Sprint cars look pretty much the same as they did when roll cages became mandatory in the 70s, unless you're going to get picky about a piece of sheet metal here or there....

2 members like this post: fish, motorhead748
5/6/18, 8:29 AM   #26
david mitchell
Banned

How about making them look like stock cars,and all the protection that goes with it,and still call them Sprint Cars.That reasoning taken to its conclusion is the result.Not really,safest race car is a parked race car.There’s your conclusion.

1 member likes this post: Chase Hightower
5/6/18, 11:24 AM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I look at it from two different views. Im a purist, the more of the driver you can see elbow's up. the better IMHO.

However, I look at Sprint Cars compared to say LM's and see so many teams only last a couple years. Im sure there is many reasons but injury is one for sure compared to the other brand where you see a ton of 20-30 and even 40 years racers, Also Sponsors also want their names in big readable letters. That other Brand I also see many decades old sponsors on. It's a handful in NW racing that stick around for the long haul. I said it ten years ago when Mopar, Chevy and a few others were here, That they could be gone as quick as they appeared.

So if a side panel takes the whole cage side minus a sliver within the cage, Protects the driver so he can be around a long time and A big ole STOOPS FREIGHTLINER is down the side. SO BE IT!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > observation #2, a revolution?