IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.
7/15/22, 3:00 PM   #61
Re: Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili B
revjimk

I think Chili Bowl is making $$ hand over fist..
Larson & Sweet don't need the money, but they're trying to help ALL the racers
It takes clout to influence things, & they have it. Some local racer could boycott & nobody would care
Seems pretty simple to me...

3 members like this post: Bill Angel, miledirt, Tom23
7/15/22, 3:02 PM   #62
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Dude....
I can't take you too seriously when you over-simplify the way you did. The expenses are WAY OVER $1 million.
Duuuude,

It was stated in an interview that the Chili Bowl costs $1 million to produce. I didn't pull the number out of nowhere. So its not "WAY OVER" $1 million as you say. I would think the staff knows what it costs better than you do.

"An event spokesperson says the total expense to put on the Chili Bowl Midget Nationals each January exceeds a million dollars when factoring the cost to build the track, insurance for both the Chili Bowl and the proceeding Tulsa Shootout, staff and security for both events, a month of rent for the facility and the purse."

I interpret this to mean it costs between $1 million and $1,999,999.00 to produce the race. Still $3-4million in profits based on ticket sales, entries and pit passes and whatever TV rights, sponsors, and fuel sales are.

https://www.racingamerica.com/news/d...urse-as-factor

I am just utterly amazed at people these days. What are you guys trying to prove by making things up and going against data, facts, the promoters own words, etc. Who does it benefit when you do that? Certainly not the racers or anyone else except Hahn. I love watching the Chili Bowl. It is an incredible event. There is nothing like it. But lets not deify the place.
Last edited by Ray3; 7/15/22 at 3:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: Midget98
7/15/22, 4:18 PM   #63
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
Duuuude,

It was stated in an interview that the Chili Bowl costs $1 million to produce. I didn't pull the number out of nowhere. So its not "WAY OVER" $1 million as you say. I would think the staff knows what it costs better than you do.

"An event spokesperson says the total expense to put on the Chili Bowl Midget Nationals each January exceeds a million dollars when factoring the cost to build the track, insurance for both the Chili Bowl and the proceeding Tulsa Shootout, staff and security for both events, a month of rent for the facility and the purse."

I interpret this to mean it costs between $1 million and $1,999,999.00 to produce the race. Still $3-4million in profits based on ticket sales, entries and pit passes and whatever TV rights, sponsors, and fuel sales are.

I am just utterly amazed at people these days. What are you guys trying to prove by making things up and going against data, facts, the promoters own words, etc. Who does it benefit when you do that? Certainly not the racers or anyone else except Hahn. I love watching the Chili Bowl. It is an incredible event. There is nothing like it. But lets not deify the place.
You're wrong, sorry. I read the Event Manager's Guide, did you? Here's the link:
https://cdn.saffire.com/files.ashx?t...s_Guide(2).pdf

Did you know that the Expo Center keeps 10% of ticket sales plus $1 from each ticket? Of course you don't.

I haven't "made up" anything. The facts are right there. Personally, I would never agree to host an event at that place with the utterly untenable criteria they demand. But go on bashing one of the men who created the most famous dirt track race in the world.

7/15/22, 4:33 PM   #64
jonboat15

I've been watching the chili bowl since before Larson and Bell were born, always seemed to be pretty good shows without them. Nascars drama boys can do whatever they please.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, hoscalecody, Midget98
7/15/22, 5:00 PM   #65
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
Duuuude,

Just like you I am amazed but I am amazed that you and others think you know and have looked at the financials for this race. He may be making big money but I dont think any of us can possibly know for sure. But as usual a bunch of keyboard jockeys on here and FB have come up with some numbers out of thin air and christened them as fact. None of these people have a clue of the expenses it takes to put this on. If you are so upset about it then dont go/watch. No one outside of Mr Hahn and his accountants really knows. While you are at it try to get Amazon, Microsoft, Tesla etc to lower their prices because they are making too much money, lets see how far you get with that. The common thread is that they all had an idea, through their own money and sweat it became popular and profitable and they then made alot of money off of it. Isnt that what America is all about? Well I guess for some it isnt.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Hustlin-Hoosier, Midget98, TQ29m
7/15/22, 5:04 PM   #66
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Just like you I am amazed but I am amazed that you and others think you know and have looked at the financials for this race. He may be making big money but I dont think any of us can possibly know for sure. But as usual a bunch of keyboard jockeys on here and FB have come up with some numbers out of thin air and christened them as fact. None of these people have a clue of the expenses it takes to put this on. If you are so upset about it then dont go/watch. No one outside of Mr Hahn and his accountants really knows. While you are at it try to get Amazon, Microsoft, Tesla etc to lower their prices because they are making too much money, lets see how far you get with that. The common thread is that they all had an idea, through their own money and sweat it became popular and profitable and they then made alot of money off of it. Isnt that what America is all about? Well I guess for some it isnt.
So we are just to ignore the words of the staff that work with/for him? They stated it costs over $1 million. You calling them liars? I can add and multiply. I guess that's a sin. Shame on me for having an education and a calculator. I'll try not to do the devils work anymore.

Some of the data is publicly available.
15,000 spectators (stated on Chili Bowl web site)
394 cars (stated on Chili Bowl web site)
6 Day ticket is $365 (stated on Chili Bowl web site)
Entry Fee $150 (stated on Chili Bowl web site)
Late Entry Fee $200 (stated on Chili Bowl web site)

Using this info you can create a pretty good idea of the revenue. We also have the costs which were stated publicly. If it was over $2 million they would have said its over 2 not over 1. Use some sense people. Wow. Racers deserve to be paid. Without them there is no Chili Bowl. Knoxville pays out close to a million dollars. The Chili Bowl is the Knoxville of midget racing. I just happen to believe the purse should match the size of the event.

I hope you people have never asked for a raise from your job in your life. If you have you better feel guilty. You better give that money back right away because it totally goes against your economic philosophies.
Last edited by Ray3; 7/15/22 at 5:22 PM.

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, nathans1012
7/15/22, 5:45 PM   #67
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I worked for free for thirty years, Gave all my money to tracks and racers......... SMH Can't we all just get along?

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.