IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.
7/1/22, 5:03 PM   #21
TQ29m

I don't think you could run them off with a bucket of poo and a box of rocks, it only happens once a year, and folks find a reason for being there, it's a happening, it's a place to be, and see.
We used to go to Florida to race karts, between Christmas and New Years, Jacksonville and Daytona, Sprints and Enduros, couldn't keep us away, I figured my wife would throw a fit, but she actually encouraged me, first time I felt guilty, after that it became a custom, we needed a break, we've now been married 61 years, and never looked back. It's going to be a test this year, and maybe next, and it might drop off a little, but I don't think it will stop. My satellite just keeps going off, must be some weather in the area 😒.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Scott Daloisio
7/13/22, 7:16 PM   #22
Re: Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili B
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well there is something too it. he can race for thirty five thou at Wild West shootout.

Or is a ploy to get Chili bowl to pay more?

https://www.racingamerica.com/news/d...urse-as-factor

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, oppweld, WinglessLovers
7/13/22, 9:32 PM   #23
chrismattlin

Well, someone will become a dirt-track legend and some others will be racing late models in the desert. [shrug]

Hopefully they don't end up looking like some clowns who thought it would be a good idea to run the US 500 against the Indy 500.

Isn't it odd too, that the guys crying about money are the guys who have the most money. Yung Money, indeed.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, Pancho Stapp
7/14/22, 10:41 AM   #24
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Well, someone will become a dirt-track legend and some others will be racing late models in the desert. [shrug]

Hopefully they don't end up looking like some clowns who thought it would be a good idea to run the US 500 against the Indy 500.

Isn't it odd too, that the guys crying about money are the guys who have the most money. Yung Money, indeed.
There is something to be said about guys not pulling their cars out unless it is $XXX to win. I like it and applaud them for fighting for a better purse. WoO guys don't show up to local events unless they can make money doing it. This thought pattern doesn't follow the USAC crowd as they seem to still be willing to show up for $1,500 to win

2 members like this post: Blitzman, Tom23
7/14/22, 3:20 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

If you have Twitter, Hahn responds.
This event cost a million a year to put on and Im not just going to put up fifty K because I don't have it. i don't get concessions etc. If they want to race elsewhere when this event is what helped launch their Nascar Careers. Well they can go do that.
Bell started this crap two years ago and it's a shame,, They all have my # and Im easy to get ahold of, But they go straight to the media. They are not going to back me into a corner, This race will grow and thrive without them giving others a shot.

https://twitter.com/SprintCarHist/st...91103573364736
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/14/22 at 3:25 PM.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, Rcar
7/14/22, 3:38 PM   #26
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
There is something to be said about guys not pulling their cars out unless it is $XXX to win. I like it and applaud them for fighting for a better purse. WoO guys don't show up to local events unless they can make money doing it. This thought pattern doesn't follow the USAC crowd as they seem to still be willing to show up for $1,500 to win
Its because they dont have near as many dates with USAC as WoO does. So on a weekend that USAC is not running do you suggest they keep the cars home and make nothing?

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/14/22, 4:33 PM   #27
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
If you have Twitter, Hahn responds.
This event cost a million a year to put on and Im not just going to put up fifty K because I don't have it. i don't get concessions etc. If they want to race elsewhere when this event is what helped launch their Nascar Careers. Well they can go do that.
Bell started this crap two years ago and it's a shame,, They all have my # and Im easy to get ahold of, But they go straight to the media. They are not going to back me into a corner, This race will grow and thrive without them giving others a shot.

https://twitter.com/SprintCarHist/st...91103573364736
All I see there is excuses. The purse is abysmal for the Chili Bowl. He says several times that Bell and Larson don't call him. Only reason Hahn wants them to call is so he can make a side deal with those guys and continue paying everyone else peanuts.

Breakdown:
Entry Fees: $150X394 cars = $59,100
Pit Passes: 394X6 people per car = 2364X$375 (multi day pit pass) = $886,500 this is probably extremely low.

Just in those two revenue sources we are at $945,600.00. By his own admission it costs $1 million. We are almost there and we haven't sold a single ticket yet.

Let say he sells 12,000 tickets for the week. 12,000X$365 (week long ticket) = $4,380,000

So just rough numbers before any sponsorship, no TV rights and no fuel sales....

Total reveunue = $5,325,600.00-$1,000,000(costs) = $4,325,600.00 in NET PROFIT!
Last edited by Ray3; 7/15/22 at 12:56 PM.

2 members like this post: Blitzman, ossuks
7/14/22, 5:20 PM   #28
Charles Nungester

If you read the centres terms, It says he pays all security, electric etc, Not to mention storing clay at the fairgrounds for a year then have ten trucks, a couple dozers, grader etc some of which burn five grand a day in fuel. Bet there's fifty staff, for just scoring and getting program run. I doubt they make pennies.

I got no doubt Hahn makes a good $$ on the thing. But the Chili Bowl lost the first couple of years, help build the careers of several racing stars and has gotten thousands into racing in the first place. As for the fans, ITS A WINTER VACATION, SIX, Count em six nights of racing for one low price. Hahn took a chance and worked it for a decade before it became world renouned.

Now I guess them were crockadille tears from Bell on how he's wanted to win it all his life, Now it's chump change?

Racing's bigger than the racer, You can't have the famous racer without the race to begin with. And the Wild West shootout will take ten years to get close to CB's popularity.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/14/22 at 5:21 PM.

1 member likes this post: cornerthree
7/14/22, 5:53 PM   #29
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
If you read the centres terms, It says he pays all security, electric etc, Not to mention storing clay at the fairgrounds for a year then have ten trucks, a couple dozers, grader etc some of which burn five grand a day in fuel. Bet there's fifty staff, for just scoring and getting program run. I doubt they make pennies.

I got no doubt Hahn makes a good $$ on the thing. But the Chili Bowl lost the first couple of years, help build the careers of several racing stars and has gotten thousands into racing in the first place. As for the fans, ITS A WINTER VACATION, SIX, Count em six nights of racing for one low price. Hahn took a chance and worked it for a decade before it became world renouned.

Now I guess them were crockadille tears from Bell on how he's wanted to win it all his life, Now it's chump change?

Racing's bigger than the racer, You can't have the famous racer without the race to begin with. And the Wild West shootout will take ten years to get close to CB's popularity.
I've seen numerous boycotts by racers over the last 50 years, please tell me how well those worked out.

2 members like this post: cornerthree, PIT CART
7/14/22, 7:02 PM   #30
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I've seen numerous boycotts by racers over the last 50 years, please tell me how well those worked out.
Exactly. USA and NST were just that and remember WoO going bankrupt, not once, but twice?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.