IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Seadog (Offline)
  #11 7/24/15 1:18 PM
Nascar gives Eldora a free pass on the SAFER barrier stuff. If they run them on a mile track, they might not be as lenient with that deal.

DuQuoin at night would be my choice.
4 Likes: bowbuild, fish, ISF, mc/rider
ISF (Offline)
  #12 7/24/15 1:27 PM
Being a born & bred, tried & true Illini I would absolutely love to see NASCAR trucks come to one or both of the Illinois mile dirt tracks. Either of our mile dirt tracks (along with the Indy Mile) is where a dirt race of the magnitude of a NASCAR National touring series should be held and both would be perfect for not only a NASCAR truck race, but for an Xfinity and even a Cup race. ARCA, and before them USAC, put on a great show 3 or 4 out of every 5 races on the dirt miles. Thankfully ARCA has been steadfast in their support of the traditional fairgrounds tracks of Illinois.

Unfortunately for those of us who love the mile dirt tracks and race fans in general the Illini mile dirt tracks are owned and operated by the State of Illinois. And even more unfortunate the State of Illinois is beyond broke and could not, and would not invest in the adequate infrastructure necessary to host such an event. Even if the state wasn't completely broke I sincerely doubt that the Chitcago politicians would stand for any type of investment that would involve auto racing, especially downstate.

The only way a national NASCAR event could be feasible at Springfield and/or Du Quoin is if there was private investors who could be convinced a return on investment could be somehow realized with the state involved. When pigs soar with the Eagles!!

As much as I dearly love the Silver Crown cars on the miles, I personally salivate from the thought of a sanction with the relevance of NASCAR racing at our miles but then reality sets in and instantly spoils the moment.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #13 7/24/15 4:28 PM
If they leave Eldora, my guess would be that would be the end of dirt. I am sure only Tony Stewart could have sold them on the deal. Of all the tracks mentioned only Knoxville would have anything close to the infrastructure to put on an event like this. I watched the race on fox sports 1 (the old speed channel), and I thought the track was prepped well for the trucks. You have a lot of drivers who have very limited dirt experience, and a heavy track would have been a disaster. Plus once the track takes rubber, you lose the dust. I don't think they will leave, as the ratings weren't horrible, and a lot of people were in the crowd. NASCAR has seen the money they have put into the facility for that event, so I don't think they will drop them real quick. Of course I thought the same about IRP.
5 Likes: DAD, fish, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, racer-x
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #14 7/24/15 5:28 PM
DuQuoin at night would be the coolest, depending on if it had enough seating capacity. The state has spent some money there on a new wall and fencing. They also extended the fence at Springfield. While they're at it, throw some dirt tires on the Indy cars and run them too!
3 Likes: DAD, ISF, mc/rider
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #15 7/24/15 7:33 PM
That was the first truck race I have watched since Eldora in 2014. And, it is the last truck race I will watch until Eldora 2016.
5 Likes: bowbuild, Dirtfan, ISF, JarrettFarms73, jim goerge
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #16 7/24/15 7:42 PM
I figured the Dirt Track at Charlotte would be their next step.
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #17 7/24/15 9:56 PM
Someone said the race was on NBCSC or something like that but it was on FS1. Stewart's ties to NASCAR got the race there so it ain't going anywhere and as BrentTfunk said Eldora has the infrastructure. That track has everything to handle a large crowd and plenty of motorhome/camping space. Plus, it takes huge bucks to put it on and Tony has the big bucks. Track conditions are horrible but they're running 40mph so who cares. The track reminds me of a normal night at Bloomington.
Slider20 (Offline)
  #18 7/24/15 10:01 PM
Not enough passing on the mile tracks for my liking. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
jim goerge (Offline)
  #19 7/25/15 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear:
Someone said the race was on NBCSC or something like that but it was on FS1. Stewart's ties to NASCAR got the race there so it ain't going anywhere and as BrentTfunk said Eldora has the infrastructure. That track has everything to handle a large crowd and plenty of motorhome/camping space. Plus, it takes huge bucks to put it on and Tony has the big bucks. Track conditions are horrible but they're running 40mph so who cares. The track reminds me of a normal night at Bloomington.
Tom Guess you haven't been to Bloomington this year cuz the prep is a lot better than years past. This was the first truck race I ever watched it was interesting but I wouldn't go to it in person I hated the surface looked and acted like they were driving on ice but understand a lot of those truck guys have never ran dirt before and would have been lost on a heavy track . One thing Fox Sports needs are some announcers who know a little about dirt racing those guys are terrible
sprint fan (Offline)
  #20 7/25/15 2:26 PM
i think paragen speedway dont realy care i dont go anway