IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing or Sprint Car Racing?
5/24/13, 4:32 PM   #1
Midget Racing or Sprint Car Racing?
AndrewCali

Coming from mini sprints, which would be the better "step up"? Which is more affordable? Easier to maintain? Better experience?

Any inferences would be appreciated.

Thank you.

5/24/13, 4:53 PM   #2
Re: Midget Racing or Sprint Car Racing?
Duke Cook Jr.

Sprint Cars hands down, just so many more places to race. And so many more options for starting out.

5 members like this post: AndrewCali, Dannypollock24, DaveP63, Morgan7m, scottyCbus
5/24/13, 5:08 PM   #3
Jonr

For selfish reasons, I would say midgets. To me, midgets are the most exciting form of racing that we have. I would watch a midget show every day of the week if given a chance.

With that said, I would have to agree with everything that Duke said above. More tracks run them, more equipment available to purchase, more sanctioning groups to run with, more dates to run.

3 members like this post: kidrock, Midget 89, Wayne Davis
5/25/13, 12:21 AM   #4
huskermudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
For selfish reasons, I would say midgets. To me, midgets are the most exciting form of racing that we have. I would watch a midget show every day of the week if given a chance.

With that said, I would have to agree with everything that Duke said above. More tracks run them, more equipment available to purchase, more sanctioning groups to run with, more dates to run.
I agree I went to my first Midget Race in 1978 the Belleville Midget Nationals and I have been hooked ever since and have not missed 1 National since the car count has not been the greatest but the racing action is like not other.

5/25/13, 1:54 AM   #5
johnnythunderhead
Banned

i too agree that midget racing is the gincheeest (as "COOKIE" would say, for those remembering the coolest dude ever to run a comb through his hair on t v)/ but indiana promotors don't seem to fancy it much for some stupid reason, so if you're wanting to race more than 1 nite a week (if that), its gotta be sprint cars (which ain't all that bad) although someday soon i'd like to be able to answer that question by saying take your pick its a 50/50 proposition. don't know if its a what need come first the chicken or the egg kind'a scenerio or what (do we need race teams for promotors to schedule midget races, or events being scheduled for midget race teams to form? whatever the answer, i'm anxiously waiting! midget racing is the best and it seems to be all but gone and fading fast

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 5/25/13 at 9:17 AM.

5/25/13, 9:34 AM   #6
kidrock

Midget racing bar none is the best racing going right now. When the powerI midgets come to Lincoln Speedway they are a must see for me but, you need to do what is best for you and what you can afford. If you go midget racing you will probably have to travel more so, you would need to add that into your cost factor. Good luck to you no matter which one you decide to do.

5/25/13, 10:09 AM   #7
Morgan7m

If you are located in Indiana or a bordering state, Sprint Car is the wisest way to go. A Sprint car is cheaper in every way, whether new or buying good used equipment. The biggest advantage to Sprint Cars is they give you the opportunity to race 3 times a week and sometimes more during the season. 30 years ago my father and I contemplated our move up from Quarter Midgets and went to Bruce Walkup for guidance. Bruce told us to go Sprint Car racing because of the many opportunities to race a week as well as the same or lower costs, compared to Midgets. Over the years, I have found that he gave great advice, and to this day, I have to agree with him and appreciate his guidance. Sprint Cars are the best way to go race if you’re located in or around Indiana. I would have regretted going Midget racing and owning the equipment that has been in a constant state of flux all these years. I love racing them but Sprint Cars are the most economical way to enjoy racing at this level. Enjoy!!!

4 members like this post: AndrewCali, apexonephoto, DaveP63, scottyCbus
5/25/13, 11:16 AM   #8
Duke Cook Jr.

How many people miss the old NAMARS day with Jack? Was some fine racing with just enough traveling, to get a youngster on several different tracks.

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DaveP63, EPSpeed, TQ29m, Wayne Davis, WBR 3E
5/28/13, 5:57 PM   #9
AndrewCali

Thank You. I am Located in Southern California, it seems like there is much more sprint car opportunities out here in this region than midgets.

5/28/13, 6:15 PM   #10
TQ29m

Either one is a blast, but in this day and age, the cost to get there is a big consideration, and either will cost a lot of money to buy, and since there are a lot more sprints, than midgets, it is easier to find a good buy, and more to choose from, plus the fact sprints run more races, probably a lot closer to your home base, so I'd figure about how far I want to drive to play, then take a map, set your compass on that distance, and draw your circle, and see how many of each are in your range, when I changed from go-karts, I was hell bent and whiskey bound I was going to buy a midget, in the NAMARS days, but didn't, TQ's were running a lot during the summer, and they were close to home, so I bought one, and never looked back, even built several, for others, as well as myself, I had ran a sprint car, and absolutley loved it, but with little or no help, the size of my shop, and my means of transportation shot that down. Lots of things to consider, I had less trouble finding a good woman to marry, 52 years ago next month! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Racing or Sprint Car Racing?