IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Triva/dizz Wilson
4/28/08, 9:36 PM   #1
Triva/dizz Wilson
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Can You Name All Of Dizz Wilson Drivers? From Rangers To Chevys! How Many Can You Name? CAN YOU NAME HIS DRIVERS THAT MADE IT TO THE 500?

4/28/08, 10:10 PM   #2
Re: Triva/dizz Wilson
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Dick Gaines, SuperDuke, Im pretty sure Wilkerson drove for him

Chuck, not even close to knowing em all

4/28/08, 10:45 PM   #3
dfish

I know my grandpa, Ron Fisher, did. My dad tells a story about grandpa following someone for too long at Bloomington. He says grandpa came into the pits, and Dizz puts his foot up on the old two-tube front bumper and says, "Boy, don't you know what this iron up here is for?" That's the story I remember.

SUPERDUKE, I've got an old Dick Wallen tape of you busting your ass out of turn two at New Bremen. Was that as hard of a hit as it looked?

4/28/08, 11:01 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Carl Williams. I know he made it to Indy.

Winston Churchill

4/28/08, 11:17 PM   #5
bigmojo5

I've got pictures of the Lyle Roberts roadster after Duke Cook busted it up on the front stretch at New Bremen while qualifying in 1974.

I believe you can add Johnny Rutherford to the list of Dizz Wilson drivers. If I've go the story right, Rutherford flipped and Dizz fired him before the car came to a stop.

Believe another was Gene Aldridge, from Gibson County, Ind., probably before World War II. When I worked at the Princeton newspaper in the early 1980s, a race car sat in the front yard being used as a flower planter. Supposedly, it had been owned by Dizz Wilson at one time and was purchased by Aldridge for the motor and possibly the powertrain. The last time I saw the car it was in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame Museum as a display on what type of condition in which some museum pieces are originally found.

Jim Morrison

4/28/08, 11:45 PM   #6
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:redflag:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
I've got pictures of the Lyle Roberts roadster after Duke Cook busted it up on the front stretch at New Bremen while qualifying in 1974.

I believe you can add Johnny Rutherford to the list of Dizz Wilson drivers. If I've go the story right, Rutherford flipped and Dizz fired him before the car came to a stop.

Believe another was Gene Aldridge, from Gibson County, Ind., probably before World War II. When I worked at the Princeton newspaper in the early 1980s, a race car sat in the front yard being used as a flower planter. Supposedly, it had been owned by Dizz Wilson at one time and was purchased by Aldridge for the motor and possibly the powertrain. The last time I saw the car it was in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame Museum as a display on what type of condition in which some museum pieces are originally found. NOT JOHNNY RUTHERFORD! IT WAS JACK ROUNDS THAT DIZZ FIRED WHILE SETTING ON A STACK OF TIRES EATING A HOT DOG! AT ST. PAUL

Jim Morrison

4/28/08, 11:48 PM   #7
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish View Post
I know my grandpa, Ron Fisher, did. My dad tells a story about grandpa following someone for too long at Bloomington. He says grandpa came into the pits, and Dizz puts his foot up on the old two-tube front bumper and says, "Boy, don't you know what this iron up here is for?" That's the story I remember.

SUPERDUKE, I've got an old Dick Wallen tape of you busting your ass out of turn two at New Bremen. Was that as hard of a hit as it looked?
IT ONLY HURT WHEN IT HIT THE GROUND!

4/28/08, 11:49 PM   #8
dfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
IT ONLY HURT WHEN IT HIT THE GROUND!
Was that the Nance car? I know it was mostly white, and VERY high off the ground!

4/29/08, 1:41 AM   #9
Rex W.

I think Foyt drove for Dizz

4/29/08, 4:38 AM   #10
Checker'd Past

I believe Jim McElreath drove for E.M."Dizz" Wilson.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Triva/dizz Wilson