IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.
6/28/22, 11:03 AM   #11
Re: Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili B
Midget98

The main topic of the article is about the $10,000 winner's share, but the real story should be the rest of the field. Once you get past the podium finishers, the purse does not even cover what you spend for the entry fee and pit passes for the week. I do see the other side of things, however, and as a business minded person, why would you increase the purse when you have hundreds of competitors showing up with what is paid out now? No one that races at the Chili bowl does it with slightest thought of what they might get at the payout window. Even if they made the winner's purse $25,000, I can't imagine where there would be any more paid out below that. Until the car count goes down, there won't be any changes made. No one makes money at the Chili Bowl besides the ones running it and that won't change any time soon.

6/28/22, 3:33 PM   #12
snowdrift

There Money to be made at CB all the car owners that have rent and rides

3 members like this post: Beinthecircle, dkdorkboy, PIT CART
6/28/22, 8:24 PM   #13
Beinthecircle

That are making much more than the winner of the main event. What’s a quality ride cost for the event? $8500?

6/28/22, 9:06 PM   #14
wingedsprint47

To start the A-main on Saturday, I was told it was only $700

6/29/22, 8:40 AM   #15
Duane Hancock

Let Bell and Larson stay home if they dont want to race for 10k. They both race for much less many sprint car nights so if they dont wanna race the biggest midget event of the year so be it. My guess is they will be there because both have said its not about the $$ to win the Chili Bowl, unless they are backing out of their words now. My guess is this rumor is bull and just started to get people to start an uproar so the purse changes

5 members like this post: bighd0522, chrismattlin, oppweld, PIT CART, Pitdad
6/29/22, 1:50 PM   #16
kendirt

IF Kyle Larson is not at the Chili Bowl he will be at the Wild West Shootout for reasons that don't have anything to do with the Chili Bowl purse.

Just a guess...

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, PIT CART
6/29/22, 2:10 PM   #17
flagboy55

I would be happy with 3 nights of just the top 40.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, oppweld
6/30/22, 8:50 AM   #18
berks co

For years my friends mostly say chilli bowl is wonderful I say it’s a great race with a pathetic payout, I’ll never support the promoter of this event

6/30/22, 7:23 PM   #19
chrismattlin

Let me preface this by saying that I think that the Chili Bowl promoters could payout more than they do, but....

I don't think the Hahn family is making the kind of dough everyone thinks they are. That place costs three fingers, a toe, and a secret oath to rent out. Every day it's under rental and no fans are paying to stream through the gates is financially crushing. And then there are juicy morsels like this:
Quote:
FOOD & BEVERAGE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS
Expo Square retains all rights to the sale of food and beverages at all events on the grounds. These rights are specifically addressed in
the Facility Lease Agreement and lessees are responsible for guaranteeing their exhibitors comply with the contractual terms of the
Facility Lease Agreement between TCPFA and lessee.

FOOD VENDOR POLICY
Food vendors the lessee desires to include as event participants, are eligible to request approval from Expo Square. Details about the
process and related fees are available at exposquare.com/exposerve. Strict penalties will be enforced if sampling policies are not
followed.
Is there any way we could maybe talk about how much cash is rolling in for the county there in Tulsa? Let's be fair here.

If you'd like to read some nonsense written by lawyers, you can find more at this link:
https://cdn.saffire.com/files.ashx?t...s_Guide(2).pdf

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, PIT CART
7/1/22, 3:58 PM   #20
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
The main topic of the article is about the $10,000 winner's share, but the real story should be the rest of the field. Once you get past the podium finishers, the purse does not even cover what you spend for the entry fee and pit passes for the week. I do see the other side of things, however, and as a business minded person, why would you increase the purse when you have hundreds of competitors showing up with what is paid out now? No one that races at the Chili bowl does it with slightest thought of what they might get at the payout window. Even if they made the winner's purse $25,000, I can't imagine where there would be any more paid out below that. Until the car count goes down, there won't be any changes made. No one makes money at the Chili Bowl besides the ones running it and that won't change any time soon.
I agree with everything you said here except "No one makes money at the Chili Bowl besides the ones running it..." I think t-shirt/paraphernalia sales for ALL of the top name competitors are through the roof. You think Rico is counting on winning that $10k, or selling mullet wigs and t-shirts? Not to mention the exposure a driver gets by doing well. Rides are won and lost based on how far through the alphabet a driver can charge. Even with the Shootout. Jason McDougal was unknown outside of Tulsa until he stormed through the Shootout and won three classes. For some of these guys and gals, it's an investment in themselves to create exposure.

And at the end of the day, it's capitalism. Supply and demand. Only when you see a significant drop off in top name competitors or a significant drop in Saturday pit pass sales will you see any changes in format or purse. It works. They're not messing with a good thing.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cornerthree, TBONE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could Christopher Bell & Kyle Larson Boycott the Chili Bowl.