IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bob frey classic august 6
6/15/22, 12:36 PM   #1
Bob frey classic august 6
Pavement Dave

The inaugural ‘Bob Frey Classic’ is quickly approaching. The August 6 event at Ohio’s Lorain Raceway Park will feature the Must See Racing Sprint National Series presented by Engine Pro competing in the ‘Jerry Caryer Memorial 40’ and the MSR Maxima Racing Oils Midwest Lights Series competing in the ‘Midwest Lights 30’.

Bob Frey was recently inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame earlier this month. Frey got his start at Lorain Raceway Park, and this will be a homecoming of sorts for Frey. Pavement Pounders, alongside Must See Racing, would like make this a major event and give the drivers something extra in the form of lap money, while honoring the late Jerry Caryer and newly inducted National Sprint Car Hall of Fame inductee Frey. All lap sponsors will be listed in the event program.

Between the 410 and Lights feature events there are total of 70 laps of available sponsor spots. It is a $25 minimum to sponsor a lap, but you are more than welcome to add more. All the money will go to the leader of that lap. In addition, there will be a ‘Bob Frey Classic’ event t-shirt that will feature Frey’s famed Ernie Ensign #37. If you or your business would like to be a part of the t-shirt, $200 or more will get you or your business on the back of the t-shirt will all the event sponsors. Your name will also be listed in the event souvenir program.

This event will be televised on MAVTV on a taped delayed basis. For Just $500 your business can receive exposure on the telecast in the form of an in-car camera sponsor or with other/ additional sponsorship options.

Please help us honor Caryer and Frey by making this event special! It will be a fun day with several activities planned including an autograph session with the drivers, meet-and-greet with Frey with the famed Ernie Ensign #37 sprint car on hand.

Contact David Sink at mrlittle500@aol.com or Jim Hanks at hmsinc98@aol.com for information on how to support the teams, event and be an event participant.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, EBookerFan, tirespinner
6/15/22, 2:10 PM   #2
Re: Bob frey classic august 6
BrentTFunk

I can remember a time when Frey was almost unbeatable in Niebel's car.

6/16/22, 12:07 PM   #3
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I can remember a time when Frey was almost unbeatable in Niebel's car.
BrentTFunk we had a pretty good string of drivers in Glen’s car that were almost unbeatable. Frey, Keeker and Bliss were all tough as nails.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, erich45, rick42
6/16/22, 3:21 PM   #4
Re: Bob frey classic august 6
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
BrentTFunk we had a pretty good string of drivers in Glen’s car that were almost unbeatable. Frey, Keeker and Bliss were all tough as nails.
True. Even saw Tony Stewart beat Jack Hewitt on the big half mile with that V6 at Granite City.

2 members like this post: fish, luckybuc97
6/16/22, 4:02 PM   #5
TQ29m

That was an unusual V6 to say the least, as I recall it had the common crankshaft, but the throws were not common, 2 rods per each, but they were ground to allow them to be separate, which allowed them to act like a V 12, sorta, very smooth running, and I believe they were also very sought after in the GMC pickup. Hope that's understandable.
I think I hurt myself with that one, hope it was correct, Glen's brother Gene raced tq's with us, and as it wasn't secret, he let us in on it 😉. Don't ask about bore spacing, it's not doable right now.
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/16/22 at 4:23 PM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/16/22, 5:44 PM   #6
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
That was an unusual V6 to say the least, as I recall it had the common crankshaft, but the throws were not common, 2 rods per each, but they were ground to allow them to be separate, which allowed them to act like a V 12, sorta, very smooth running, and I believe they were also very sought after in the GMC pickup. Hope that's understandable.
I think I hurt myself with that one, hope it was correct, Glen's brother Gene raced tq's with us, and as it wasn't secret, he let us in on it 😉. Don't ask about bore spacing, it's not doable right now.
The V6 block was a 90 degree block like the smallblock V8 with 2 cylinders cut off of it. The 60 degree V6 had the offset rod journals. There used to be several guys that ran the 60 degree engines in the midgets. Potter and the Arnold brothers are a few that come to mind.
Last edited by kinser; 6/16/22 at 5:49 PM.

6/16/22, 5:55 PM   #7
TQ29m

Arnold Brothers dad also ran the 215 Buick V8, Steve and his brother ran tq's with us also, Steve is into corvettes now.

1 member likes this post: kinser
6/16/22, 8:12 PM   #8
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
True. Even saw Tony Stewart beat Jack Hewitt on the big half mile with that V6 at Granite City.
Kevin Doty won the 4 Crown in 94 in Niebels car also

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bob frey classic august 6