IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eastern Storm
6/17/22, 3:27 PM   #41
Re: Eastern Storm
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
See my original post. 35 or more up to about 48 (not likely) 35/5= 7,7,7,7,7, 15 qualify leaving 2 10 car semis taking 3 each with 1 promoter option: total 22 in feature.
I wasn't making fun of you, just being sarcastic. USAC has never run more than 4 heat races in a full points paying event. In fact, they refuse to. But hey, I guess having, let's say, four 12 car heats is better than sending cars home before the heats even begin.

2 members like this post: captrat, tirespinner
6/17/22, 3:35 PM   #42
ThrowbackRacingTeam

29 cars should be 4 heats. 28 should be the cut off for four 7 car heats. As a fan, that’s what I expect. I wish they would go back to inverting 8. Should also invert 8 in the A-main. As far as 5 heat format, that’s what Knoxville does when there are a lot of cars. In the old days it was still invert 8 and top 3 to the feature.

3 members like this post: duel, Scott Daloisio, tirespinner
6/17/22, 5:32 PM   #43
kb78

I like the format the way it is, inverting 8 is too much in this day and age. It is rare that the fast qualifier comes from 6th to win let alone 8th. I agree with 28 being a good cutoff for 4 heats and I like the idea of 4 heats and no more. The only exception I have seen is last year at Lincoln they had about 14 or 16 to a heat and that was rough but in the end you still only get 22 in the show so I'm good. I absolutely hate two semi features, what a way to water down a show. Plus it seems like you get a good car being left out of a strong semi and squirrel sneaking in through a weak semi. I am not a fan of provisionals either, I understand that you need to take care of the teams that take care of you but I'm not a fan. JMO

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, mc/rider, tirespinner
6/18/22, 9:15 AM   #44
yeleyfan76

Since format has become the discussion here Id like to highlight the fact that last nite we timed two cars at a time. Maybe this is more procedure as opposed to format, but wow. If they could do it last nite they could do it anywhere. With only 23 cars they were done in no time.
Someone said that with everyone making it, the heats are meaningless because everybody gets their time back. To a point I agree. You still have a guy like Bacon time 16th race his ass off to win the heat in order to improve his starting spot. But if the heats are meaningless due to reverting back to TT, then why not bag the TT and handicap the heats by points and make the fast cars start in the back of the heats. Apply passing points and line up the A by them. This way the heats are not meaningless and the feature might not have the winner always starting in front three rows. Last nite was better than expected, WG track prep sux. At least it wasn’t huggy pole like expected, but having a guy like JG starting on front row takes the excitement out of it. He was on rails. It’s food for thought. The teams will ***** because they wanna run TT and so will the traditionalists. Me I wanna see the fast guys move thru the field every time they are on the track. JMO.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
6/18/22, 11:13 AM   #45
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

To me, Single car qualifying is part of the overall show. Used to be that way in every sanction WoO-All Stars. Without it, Might as well group qualify in hotlaps and be done with it. Because my eyes may cross sometimes. I've yet to be able to do this < >

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel, mc/rider, oldfan49
6/18/22, 12:14 PM   #46
chrismattlin

I believe that if you are a true, national touring series with (at least somewhat) professional drivers, you gotta have qualifying. It would seem bush league without it, to me.

Because there is such a great emphasis on qualifying time, the drivers put ten-tenths in to their time trialing efforts. It makes qualifications amazing to watch, and at times, breath-taking. My visits to all USAC races aren't complete unless I get there in time to watch it.

6 members like this post: 95KART, BrentTFunk, captrat, duel, JordanBlanton, mc/rider
6/18/22, 1:21 PM   #47
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
I wasn't making fun of you, just being sarcastic. USAC has never run more than 4 heat races in a full points paying event. In fact, they refuse to. But hey, I guess having, let's say, four 12 car heats is better than sending cars home before the heats even begin.

Food for thought for USAC. Maybe the "that's the way we've always done it" should be reviewed.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
6/18/22, 1:25 PM   #48
captrat

Not sure when you have enough cars that 2 semis water down the competition. To me a single 20+ car semi taking 6 is not a positive.

1 member likes this post: Rick Eaton
6/18/22, 1:26 PM   #49
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Food for thought for USAC. Maybe the "that's the way we've always done it" should be reviewed.
It also just happens to handicap the racing the best. Just my opinion. Qualifying 2 at a time on tracks bigger than a quarter would be fine with me. Hate drawing for heats for a national show, even if you group qualify. Some heats are loaded and some are weak. If it ain"t broke, don't fix it.

4 members like this post: captrat, oldfan49, opnwhlmnd, oppweld
6/18/22, 2:11 PM   #50
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Since format has become the discussion here Id like to highlight the fact that last nite we timed two cars at a time. Maybe this is more procedure as opposed to format, but wow. If they could do it last nite they could do it anywhere. With only 23 cars they were done in no time.
Someone said that with everyone making it, the heats are meaningless because everybody gets their time back. To a point I agree. You still have a guy like Bacon time 16th race his ass off to win the heat in order to improve his starting spot. But if the heats are meaningless due to reverting back to TT, then why not bag the TT and handicap the heats by points and make the fast cars start in the back of the heats. Apply passing points and line up the A by them. This way the heats are not meaningless and the feature might not have the winner always starting in front three rows. Last nite was better than expected, WG track prep sux. At least it wasn’t huggy pole like expected, but having a guy like JG starting on front row takes the excitement out of it. He was on rails. It’s food for thought. The teams will ***** because they wanna run TT and so will the traditionalists. Me I wanna see the fast guys move thru the field every time they are on the track. JMO.
Captain Funk said, "I think you have to get in the top 5 to start up front".... anyone know for sure? That would make more sense than totally meaningless heats... couldn't find the answer on USAC website...
I actually like the "handicap by points" idea. Thats the way it was back in the early 60s when I started going to dirt track races. But the cars were all home built & different back then (modified coupes)....Smokey Stover won 22 out of 24 features in 1962 at Eastside Speedway, starting from the back! His car was WAY faster than the rest, obviously. Not sure that would work nowadays...
Last edited by revjimk; 6/18/22 at 2:15 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eastern Storm