IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/23/14, 2:29 PM   #41
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

When you run pavement your lucky to get 10 cars. If more folks would commit to pavement I'm sure Anderson and MT Lawn would add a few.

11/23/14, 3:32 PM   #42
Cincy Dirt Bowl

95% of Indiana TQ racers will say NO to changing engine rules. Trust me, I heard every one of those NO's just a couple years ago. The Honda 750 is still easy to get and plenty of parts available. People have been trying newer engines for years. It wasnt until this past season when one of the best TQ racers in Indiana tried a new engine, and had us all covered. This racer won a lot of races with the 750, but it just seemed easier for him to win with the new engine. The engine is a 2014 Kaw, built by Adams Racing from NC, and anybody can buy one If they have $18,000. I don't have that kind of $ to spend on a TQ engine. To keep the 750 competitive, the easiest and most affordable way would be to allow more CCs. We could go to 915cc with just a set of new pistons. Could try a weight break too. Don't count on any engine changes. Thats why there has only been a panel put together to EXPLORE new options. You can't really use the Florida TQs as comparison. FL TQs allow the 600s to use the transmission like a Kenyon car. East coast TQs run through the trans also.

11/23/14, 4:00 PM   #43
Re: king of the tqs meeting
sday27

shady bowl in ohio , asking a few mouths ago about running mini sprints , maybe they would run tq's

11/23/14, 4:53 PM   #44
badcoupe

The Honda head is pretty maxxed out as is, I don't think adding cc's to the Honda would help plus you bore the case and the jug and press sleeves. One of the best Honda builders I know swears that the 811 was the best size for the Honda. Mt lawn is closed anyhow but I would to get the speedrome and Anderson on the schedule

1 member likes this post: midget39
11/23/14, 5:01 PM   #45
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Dirt Bowl View Post
95% of Indiana TQ racers will say NO to changing engine rules. Trust me, I heard every one of those NO's just a couple years ago. The Honda 750 is still easy to get and plenty of parts available. People have been trying newer engines for years. It wasnt until this past season when one of the best TQ racers in Indiana tried a new engine, and had us all covered. This racer won a lot of races with the 750, but it just seemed easier for him to win with the new engine. The engine is a 2014 Kaw, built by Adams Racing from NC, and anybody can buy one If they have $18,000. I don't have that kind of $ to spend on a TQ engine. To keep the 750 competitive, the easiest and most affordable way would be to allow more CCs. We could go to 915cc with just a set of new pistons. Could try a weight break too. Don't count on any engine changes. Thats why there has only been a panel put together to EXPLORE new options. You can't really use the Florida TQs as comparison. FL TQs allow the 600s to use the transmission like a Kenyon car. East coast TQs run through the trans also.
Those Florida Midgets are neat. With the trans in place it looks like they tilt the motor out of the car like a modern day Midget Motor does. They limit their motors to being at least 7 years old, wonder if they have someone that can look at one of them and know how old it is?

I guess because of all that sunny southern weather down there Pavement is the surface of choice for a race track.
http://www.floridatqmidgets.com/

Pavement is more expensive to race on, Horsepower is a definite advantage their also. And then to be competitive each team would have to have both a dirt and pavement car to maximize their efforts.

It would not be necessary to spend $18000,00 to build a competitive 600cc motor, in fact stock should be all you need to race on. All that would have to be done is allow the transmission to stay right where it came from, hook up a U-joint and go kick some Butt.

I have been looking at a TQ sitting around is a guys way for the last year, but it has a blown up 836, and I just cant figure out how or why I would want to invest money in it to race on a limited schedule. I do have a bone stock 2000 Yamaha R-6 Sitting in a mini sprint that would fit right in and we could go racing.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/23/14 at 5:09 PM.

11/23/14, 5:56 PM   #46
TQ29m

Nothing ever in the rules that mandated cutting off the trans case, it just made sense, wasn't being used for anything, made more room, and that's the way it was. Same deal with the 600 and 700 cc multi cam motors, leave it there, just hook up to the END OF THE CRANK. I don't see any reason for alarm, or panic, the rules, as they are, still allows anyone to use the Honda, or any other of their choice, as long as it meets the rule, someone still has to be smart enough to make it work, my Yamaha, which I started running in 2005, has made me a lot of money, due to the fact it is reliable, and I didn't have to mortgage the farm to use it, the only engine I know of currently banned, is a 2-stroke of any kind or size, the reason, Ron Ambrose, not so much for the engine, but because Ron can drive a race car, and he doesn't say or do anything he can't back up, he knows the rules, and he has the seat time, and talent, to make it happen, you don't see him on here much, because he is a "listener", and I'm sure he is laughing, as much as I am, about a lot of things that are said on here, right Ron! I see no reason to get your nickers in a knot about engine rules, the ones that are in place right now, are as good as you'll get, money can buy a lot of things, but it can't buy friendship, all it can buy is the willingness to look for something else to do, I deliberately left my Yamaha stock, cause I wanted to continue to run with the TQ's, had I made a rocket out of it, how long do you think I could have ran it, not long, I'm sure, but it is inexpensive, and dependable, and competitive, and in the long run, will make you're wallet happy. That's all I got for now, I just hope there is a good car count for next year, and we all have a place we can run, if we had the car counts we had back in the early 90's, we'd have plenty of cars for yet another organization, which I think makes it better, give everyone a choice! Bob

11/23/14, 6:07 PM   #47
midget39

This is just my opinion but I think the motor rule should stay about the same (done think adding c.c. to the Hondas will help) with the exception of the c.c.rule for the newer motors New rule should be what ever a stock 650 comes from the factory so people dont have to spend a fortune on custom made rods,cranks,piston etc.basically buy a stock motor figure out how to mount it in car ,make it direct drive and go race ,also not a big fan of electronic fuel injection on these cars but hey if thats what it takes to advance the sport than what the heck ,I guess what I would like to see is a set of rule that are well thought out with rules that can be and will be enforced that don't make the older motors obsolete

11/23/14, 6:16 PM   #48
TQ29m

If you can find a current rule book, read it, it is all there, and has been for a long time, this was thought out by a lot of different thinking people, and by golly, I think they came up with a livable one, it's a box that you can work out of, still plenty of room for experimenting, and trying stuff, which may or may not have already been tried, doing something different, shoot, if you want them all the same, just quit buying, and start renting, go to an indoor Kart track, and get it on, try that for a season, not! Bob

11/23/14, 6:19 PM   #49
DAD

Bob

For what it's worth, We (MMSA) had our banquit at The French Lick Indoor go kart track this weekend, and rented the track after. Ron showed a bunch of them kids the way home in the races, as to be expected right.

From what I can tell I could bolt a Kenyon car U-joint and ball right up to the r-6 motor.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/23/14 at 6:24 PM.

11/23/14, 6:39 PM   #50
sday27

i have been talking with jim barnum of florida's tq midgets they run bone stock 750 most of them run gsxr 750 with transmission on pump gas, i really would like to build a car but don't want to mess with those old honda motors ,

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting