Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Tires
3/21/22, 12:04 PM   #11
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
It’s not backwards. The lefts have been higher for a long time
Like bikinis: the less material, the more $$$. Or so I've been told.😆
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3/21/22, 5:09 PM   #12
Re: Hoosier Tires
racenut69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj wright View Post
like bikinis: The less material, the more $$$. Or so i've been told.😆

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
3/21/22, 7:02 PM   #13
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

LRs have been higher since they went to the spec RR. Lowered the RR price since that is what you have to run. Started at $215 each and once all the tracks were on the rule the price started going up.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

6 members like this post: jdull99, jonboat15, oppweld, rick42, spicoli, tirespinner
3/22/22, 9:13 AM   #14
Whit11B

Economy of scale. They produce mostly medium and H's for right rears. Left rears they have to produce H, RD, D, wing/nonwing etc in a bunch of different sizes. Stopping production to change over machines also adds to the cost.

Not sure where things will end up because the truck assembly plants I work in still run into part and employee shortages. I can see everything continuing to inflate in price or have low inventory.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
3/22/22, 10:43 AM   #15
TBarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit11B View Post
Economy of scale. They produce mostly medium and H's for right rears. Left rears they have to produce H, RD, D, wing/nonwing etc in a bunch of different sizes. Stopping production to change over machines also adds to the cost.
I've never understood why all series can't run the same tires. I'd think that would lower the cost of production and in turn retail prices. It would also allow more used tire sales to lower budget teams. Is there any real reason nonwing needs to run different tires than wing? 305, 360, 410? Currently it's a pain in the rear for teams that run different series. You have to have different tires for each. I'd be happy with a medium RR and D15 LR for all.

Fender cars are even worse I think.

4 members like this post: jdull99, Oleman61x, PIT CART, tirespinner
3/22/22, 11:31 AM   #16
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBarks View Post
I've never understood why all series can't run the same tires. I'd think that would lower the cost of production and in turn retail prices. It would also allow more used tire sales to lower budget teams. Is there any real reason nonwing needs to run different tires than wing? 305, 360, 410? Currently it's a pain in the rear for teams that run different series. You have to have different tires for each. I'd be happy with a medium RR and D15 LR for all.

Fender cars are even worse I think.
Excuse my ignorance but what would be the difference between non wing vs. a winged car tire, vs. a 305 tire, etc... Is it just compounds or different sizes or both? Seems like its been the Hoosier way or the highway for quite some time now.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
3/22/22, 12:39 PM   #17
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Carcass construction is different on the LR tires for wing vs non-wing. Fronts are the same. Was told by Hoosier the Medium used in USAC is the same as the ASCS Medium just without the ASCS markings. Haven’t ran wing is decades so can’t attest to the validity of that.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jonboat15, sjracer26, tirespinner
3/22/22, 12:53 PM   #18
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what would be the difference between non wing vs. a winged car tire, vs. a 305 tire, etc... Is it just compounds or different sizes or both? Seems like its been the Hoosier way or the highway for quite some time now.
Wing left rears are belted while non wing tires are not. Therefore when you see the car get on the gas, the non wing tire is going to expand more than the wing tire. Essentially giving the car less stagger (measured as the difference between the circumference of the left rear and right rear tires).

Wing cars require quite a bit more stagger between the LR and RR tires than non wing cars do. This is largely because of the wing giving the car all of this left rear drive that non wing cars don't have.

Ultimately, it's not really possible for us to share left rears without either wing or non wing suffering.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Tires