IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment
8/17/09, 4:04 PM   #81
Re: Kevin Miller experiment
Vukie

[QUOTE=psullivan;128290]Vukie,
While I appreciate would Bob made in the Hoosier Hundred but at that time it was also (a) the biggest dirt race in the country bar none (b) a race that reguired tempoary bleachers to accomodat the fans. Unfortunately neither of those statements is true at this time.
Pat[/QUOTE

...and really good seating in the trees...

8/17/09, 5:29 PM   #82
Kirk Spridgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl07 View Post
Yes you have some good points. But how often do you have a full field of "Professional" USAC drivers??? Remember we are talking about a $60,000 car, winning $4000.00. At least the WoO regular shows pay $10,000.

I think it would be nice to have your high budget guys, but also make it feasible for some fast local guys to join in and race. Right now it seems like if your not a big name they don't care if your there, instead of showing up and them saying "thanks for supporting us." There are a lot of sprint car & midgets out there, you would think if USAC was doing there job, they would have a pit full of cars...??

Just like no one is stopping every single USAC driver from going to Indy or NASCAR right, anything is possible with enough money
I just don't agree with you that you is all. Why is a weekend racer not competitive, at least in the sprint car division? They are, and that is proven over and over each year.

Nunn alluded to Niflis winning at Bloomington, from 16th mind you. He also was fast during Sprintweek hot laps before blowing the rear end in qualifying.

Casey Shuman just talked on here about Eric Barnhill selling out his operation. The price I heard on it was extremely cheap. And I just don't see how that car can't be competitive in any sprint car race out there, with the right amount of work, intelligence and driver skill. I'm tired of excuses...

8/17/09, 5:49 PM   #83
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Heads would roll big time, believe me......... you really would see a "new" USAC...........

Heads would roll and Fulper would be the new Chief Steward.

8/17/09, 5:57 PM   #84
Kirk Spridgeon

I'm interested to know who Don would deem worthy of being hired to his new perfect USAC.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/17/09, 6:07 PM   #85
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
I'm interested to know who Don would deem worthy of being hired to his new perfect USAC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ron Shuman for president. He's seen it all, done it all, FULLY understands the business and I HIGHLY doubt he would need to seek advice from kids. Much love,
David.

1 member likes this post: pgray
8/17/09, 6:09 PM   #86
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you need to ask him!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/17/09, 6:38 PM   #87
psullivan

...and really good seating in the trees...

EXACTLY!

8/17/09, 6:42 PM   #88
dberrio

for a start. silver crown cars under the pra flag raced at stafford springs,conn two years ago. another really good track would be thompson,conn.people in the east are dying for top quality open wheel racing.like the pennsy swing, how about a new england tour. sc,sprints or midgets?? how about looking into that kevin.

8/17/09, 7:03 PM   #89
OpenwheelRob

Quote:
"Regular Joe" racing is happening all over the place. So do you want a bunch of weekend warriors to be racing USAC (and not being able to travel, or race during the week, because of work), or do you want a core group of guys who are doing it for a living?

We're talking here about trying to make this series work for the guys like Darland, Coons, Hines, Jones, Gardner, etc. that deserve to make very good money at this level.
Wow!! I can't believe you posted that, when you come down off your high horse read this. I would love to see Regular Joe's or Weekend Warriors race with USAC! I don't like seeing 10 big money teams race, but from this post I think the problem is this elitist mentality a lot people involved really have. I'm shocked at a couple of these post's. I'd rather see a full field of avg. car's than half a field of top quality cars, and the people that I go to the track with agree. Weekend Warrior's are just as good as those mentioned above and deserve to make just as much!!

If I'm not mistaken wasn't USAC started with Weekend Warrior who held full-time jobs? Maybe they should go back to their roots!

Otherwise have fun watching a field of 11 fella's!

4 members like this post: 767, pgray, thebus79h
8/17/09, 7:29 PM   #90
Stagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
First, this a great thread and I am impressed by the civility and positive feel of it. 3 decades ago I was having a very similar conversation with USAC about the challenge to the sprint car series by a fledgling group known as the WoO. The USAC philosophy of the time seemed to center around the idea that all of its series were to be stepping stones to Indy, and that would suffice to attract and retain top drivers and car owners. We all know how that worked out. IMHO USAC must carve out its own unique place based upon the following. 1. Non-wing racing is a more competitive form 2. The SC cars can be made a desirable goal, but not at the expense of the sprinters or midgets 3. Remove all side boards from the cars, this will make them visually distinctive from their competitors and be a fan pleaser 4. The reality is that the sprint car pavement races will always have car count issues as long as highly specialized cars are allowed 5. There needs to be 3 special sprint car focus events within the schedule each year (Hulman in Spring, Speedweek in Summer and L'burg in Fall). 6. Media coverage, for now forget live shows etc., instead focus on short highlights( in a perfect world a half-hour "This Week In USAC" featuring highlights from all divisions; am I the only who remembers Ch. 8 in Indy showing taped highlights every Sunday eve. 7. Midgets, I love'm but their history has often had these periods of decline-no good answers except to reduce cost, but how? 8. SC should concentrate on a balanced schedule hopefully 10-12 races standing on their own when possible. Just my thoughts, and I totally agree bashing has no place, but perhaps these kinds of discussions can lead to something positive.

I was just going to mention that....I started this thread and thought afterwards it might go down hill like recent town hall meetings in the south. It did not! Great Ideas and constructive criticism is good to see.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller experiment