Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Young sprint car racers
10/15/09, 11:48 AM   #81
Re: Young sprint car racers
reader

b

10/15/09, 5:40 PM   #82
Re: Young sprint car racers
Tripcrwn

Brothers Austin and Cody Williams have been impressive this year with USAC/CRA. As most of you may know, the brothers are the sons of National Sprint Car Hall of Fame driver Rip Williams. Both are 18-19 and were running in the same heat race as there father last weekend at the PAS. Unfortunately Rip was involved in a nasty series of flips during the heat race down the front straight, but was uninjured. It must have been tough for the brothers not knowing if their father was seriously hurt. Rip is a true professional and was not shaken while talking to Chris Holt after the incident. Austin Williams could turn out to be the best of the two as he is very agressive and in some great equipment. He battled Tony Jones throughout the main event - holding his own with the best of CRA. Cody was the National Co-Rookie of the year last season and also has a bright future.

Also Richard and Jason Vanderweerd, identical twins and 18 years olds, have been very impressive at Perris as they are rapidly learning the track and 410 racing. Matt Shedowich (sp?) is another impressive rookie as is Ronnie Gardner from the famous Gardner Racing Team. Gardner in particular has been very competitive lately. Another is Dennis Howell who competes in CRA with a 360 engine. Looking forward to possibly seeing young norcal chargers Kyle Larson, Justin Grant and Wes Guitterez at the PAS for the Oval Nationals. The future is bright in socal.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
What young gun sprint car racers surprized you the most in 2008.
Name a few drivers.
Give a couple of reasons why they caught your eye. :thumb

1. Sammy Imel.Hes always up on the wheel..Sammy really suprized at kokomo.He gets around that place real well.Hes not scared to go where cars arent.

2.John Memmer.Hes also a young racer who has amazed me over the 2008 season.He really opened up my eyes at the 4 crown.

3.Josh Clemons.Every time josh is on the track he amazes me. After he had that big crash at "The Burg" and just got rite back in the car and ran 6th (i think at gascity).That really made me relize hes in it to win it.
BTW, excellent and interesting thread. Thanks!

1 member likes this post: Hclarke
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Young sprint car racers